Cutbacks and Steward barging in unannounced!

These threads, make that almost all threads lately make it very hard to want to start ANY thread as an OP. Regardless of what you say, ask, comment, etc. after about the 10th comment, or sooner, it degenerates into who can call who what the fastest.

Almost makes coming here not worth it.

To the OP, sorry that the RS could not comprehend that you did not want him coming in the room unless you let him in. After the first (and for sure after the second) time we would have had a talk in the hallway, most likely with his superior. I would have taken the time to call and demand that he/she show up NOW. You were right to be unhappy!

Lines at CS show up all the time and can be a "mile" long and disappear just as quickly if they put 3-5 people out to help. If a first time Plat you might forget that there is a line for us and sometimes the "line" is not defined and everyone is lumped together.

As to the tablecloths, I will miss them as well, will they "ruin" the cruise? No, but they will be missed.

Again sorry for the "cr@p" here, makes you wonder what some here would believe?

When I am watching TV, sleeping or in the bathroom there are times I did not hear or barely heard the steward knocking. The stewards usually do not knock loud enough. Now I put out the sign and deadbolt the door just to be sure.

I agree with the OP about table cloths, I will miss them on our next cruise. But maybe by then they will have addressed the issues with condensation on the glasses dripping onto the passengers, and cutlery being put directly on the bare table. Placemats/coasters would be helpful.

As for the room steward walking in on her FIVE times, I think if it happened to me I wouldn't have the nerve to complain about it let alone put it on a message board. If she didn't start putting the deadbolt on after it happened the first time, then she caused part of the problem herself. We always have the deadbolt on whenever we're in the room, it's just an automatic thing to do, like in a hotel room.

If she didn't start putting the deadbolt on after it happened the first time, then she caused part of the problem herself. We always have the deadbolt on whenever we're in the room, it's just an automatic thing to do, like in a hotel room.

Well said. This is what I do now. Problem solved.

I agree with OP about the table cloths in the MDR. I am one that prefers for the dining room to be more of an elegant feel and no table cloths gives me the feeling that its just a casual restaurant. What I dislike most about it is our plates and glasses of water were sliding on the table when the ship swayed from side to side. That glass of water almost landed on the floor a few times but DH caught it and slid it back where it belongs. I fail to understand the logic of this cut. Also agree about the tablecloth being more clean to me than a used washrag wiping a table down. Aside from laundry costs, what are they saving really?

I had a room steward walk in us once and it was a shocker at the most awkward time but it was our fault really for not deadbolting the door nor a no not disturb sign.

We still had fun ! :D Who knew I would feel so let down over no more table cloths in the formal dining room ? <tear, tear> This is why I called it "first world problems" but I'm just being honest. I do agree about deadbolts, and tried not to forget. However I just turned Platinum and in all my past cruises, this has NEVER happened, EVER So it was quite unexpected !

We had the EXACT same problem with our cabin steward. Our deadbolt didn't work properly so we used the Snoozin' sign. He walked in on me so many times. Once I had just put on a robe after a shower. Another time he knocked then quickly opened the door. My husband wa right by the door and blocked it...however, he leaned around the door to say hello to me. I was sitting at the vanity in a barely closed robe getting ready for formal night. I found him very creepy. He also would come in 20 min before dinner to do our cabin..we kept telling him not to come until after 6. It didn't ruin our cruise but I was not comfortable in my cabin. This was the FIRST time ever dealing with this situation. I've sailed 17 times w Carnival and still LOVE them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tablecloths look nice and dress up the table. Some room stewards are in a hurry to get into your cabin and dont exactly knock very hard.

yeah, table cloths are nice....I'm sure the stewards are in a hurry...imagine all those cumulative minutes wasted standing there waiting...I'm not saying I agree, but when times is money for these guys (and girls) I can see where they just want to get in and out...

Reading is fundamental! :D

indeed 30xebs5.gif

I always think of a time when we were in miami and around the outdoor mall thing there they had a kiosk where you'd pay for a parking pass, but it was a little confusing....Finally a lot attendant came over to help...nice guy, knew what to do...He mentioned he was from Haiti (i think we asked where he was from maybe?) anyway it was funny he said "you know, that's the problem with you Americans, you never stop and just read things" (pertaining the instructions on the kiosk thing) He wasn't being mean or anything..I just thought "you know, you're probably right"...

but anyway..

Edited by splash_in_the_water

Tablecloths look nice and dress up the table. Some room stewards are in a hurry to get into your cabin and dont exactly knock very hard.

If you have the TV on when you are in your room, it's really hard to even hear if someone knocks on the door.

I don't believe that the OP ever said they were Platinum. Not sure where that came from.

As for the tablecloths, not a big deal. Most fine dining establishments no longer use tablecloths.

Still wondering why the thread says "cutbacks" as the OP only mentions no tablecloths. Was this the only complaint and if so, why the cutbacks title?

The OP did say (in post 5 on this thread) that she is Platinum. The cutbacks I believe were the tablecloths.

OP,

I do understand your being concerned about the steward and I would have gone to guest services to report him and take off his gratuities. As far as standing in a long line, you said you were Platinum and the line for us are usually not long at all. To me, I would have stood in the short line as he was definitely going against the policies of Carnival.

And this is why you do not have table clothes in the once elegant dining room. You simply don't care. So why should the cruise line waste their profits on people who do not care. You pushed and pushed for T shirt dress codes, now you have T shirt style service and ambiance. including once not twice a day room cleaning. Basically McDonalds on the water.

Once upon a time cruising was an elegant vacation. We show the cruise line we dont care about elegance and they take it away.

They are doing the same thing with entertainment. Production shows and flyons are becoming a thing of the past. They entertain us with Hasbro instead.

Major reason more and more of our cruises are now with Princess.

Edited by Micah's Grandad

Once upon a time cruising was an elegant vacation. We show the cruise line we dont care about elegance and they take it away.

They are doing the same thing with entertainment. Production shows and flyons are becoming a thing of the past. They entertain us with Hasbro instead.

Flying was once glamorous as well. My how times have changed.

this. I feel like we started cruising (carnival) right at the end of the last wave....the forst cruise went on was about 7 or 8 years ago on the elation. It was fantastic. The live bands' date=' the orchestra, the lounge band , the production shows- we felt like upper class on the titanic...

So, now, may of you know that these have been reduced a bit...It's too bad really, they really added so much to our experience.

our last cruise was on RCI and things were a bit back to where we liked them. Not that carnival is bad- they have great ships, and arguably better food. But less tablecloths [img']http://i59.tinypic.com/30xebs5.gif[/img]

Just a few things..

First of all, I wish I could "like" posts, especially the one about standing there naked ! Trust me, I am no spring chicken ! I was cruising with my 8 year old grand daughter & we would hear the little ding-dongs when they were making announcements and she would open the door so we could hear what they were saying, then let it close. For the most part I was able to use the dead bolt; but I agree it is all my fault that I didn't lock the dead bolt each and every time the door opened. I didn't even think about using door sign, again, all my fault. Platinum line ? Silly me I completely forgot I could do that ! Yes I just did make platinum.. I was more excited about the laundry than anything else. Yes it is all my fault and also shame on me for commenting about noticing tablecloths were no longer used in the dining room. My fault again. How could I be so silly to even think I could actually put an observation on a message board, that was not complimenting Carnival.. again, MY BAD ! I hope all of you Carnival Cheerleaders can please find it in your hearts to forgive me. I am so sorry I posted something about Carnival when actually everything is all my fault, I did not mean to create so much negativity nor hostility.

Edited by CruisinHelloKitty

Well just off the Magic last week and noticed no more tablecloths were used in the main dining rooms except for the 2 formal nights ! Call it "first world problems" but it felt like I was in a Cheddars or a Chilis. Also the steward walked into our cabin unannounced at least 5 times; I had been changing, sleeping, watching TV or in the restroom. I tried to use the lock every time but whenever I didn't, it never failed, he would walk in... WTH ! Who knows how many times he tried when the door was locked. The guy didn't even knock. I told him the last 2 days "you need to knock" and he claims he did.. I even opened the door and knocked hard and said "YOU NEED TO KNOCK LIKE THIS !" but he just calmly said "sorry." I would see the other stewards knocking loud and announcing housekeeping multiple times before attempting entry to other cabins, and wondered why he was not doing the same. I was so mad I considered removing gratuities but there were 2 reasons why I did not do that: 1. Why penalize all the other workers for this guys creepy behavior, and 2. I did not have time to spend standing in the mile-long line at the guest services desk. (Just being honest)

How about putting the do not disturb sign on your door !!!!!!! DUH

Just a few things..

First of all, I wish I could "like" posts, especially the one about standing there naked ! Trust me, I am no spring chicken ! I was cruising with my 8 year old grand daughter & we would hear the little ding-dongs when they were making announcements and she would open the door so we could hear what they were saying, then let it close. For the most part I was able to use the dead bolt; but I agree it is all my fault that I didn't lock the dead bolt each and every time the door opened. I didn't even think about using door sign, again, all my fault. Platinum line ? Silly me I completely forgot I could do that ! Yes I just did make platinum.. I was more excited about the laundry than anything else. Yes it is all my fault and also shame on me for commenting about noticing tablecloths were no longer used in the dining room. My fault again. How could I be so silly to even think I could actually put an observation on a message board, that was not complimenting Carnival.. again, MY BAD ! I hope all of you Carnival Cheerleaders can please find it in your hearts to forgive me. I am so sorry I posted something about Carnival when actually everything is all my fault, I did not mean to create so much negativity nor hostility.

Ok, I forgive you, but don't let it happen again.

One reason cruise ships are limiting table clothes is the fact that they require a lot of washing with strong soap and bleach and the environmentalist are out to stop this greywater pollution.

Those darn environmentalists! First they stopped the cruise ships from tossing all their garbage and sewerage straight into the ocean, now they're after grey water!