Balcony stateroom question from Newbie!

I know this can be a touchy subject, but please, no snarky responses. This is our very first cruise. I need to know about smoking on balconies. I have read it is prohibited, but do people follow that? I really want to avoid being in the path of smoke. I would like to hear the experiences of others.

I'm not trying to be arrogant. I am in my 30's and just completed treatment for cancer, so I try to be very diligent about being as healthy as possible. This is actually our celebratory vacation!

We have an 8th floor balcony cabin on the starboard side.

We didn't smell smoke at all on our last cruise (our only balcony lol) on NCL Escape and we were on our balcony a lot... I wouldn't worry about it. If you do smell it just go inside and/or report it to guest services... but honestly I don't think you will, not likely you'll get someone near you who breaks the rules.

Edited by CamaCama

Our experience has been that we rarely smell smoke when out on our balcony. Every once in a while we will be unlucky enough to be next to someone who smokes on their balcony and in those rare cases I've called down to security and they take care of it.

Congrats on your first cruise !!!!

Honestly, I smelled it once. It was very late at night and I was sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by.:) Although I could smell it, I could not see it and it was only for a moment or two. With the ship moving, I don't think you have too much to worry about. (unless it is your neighbor and it is blowing on your balcony) ...then as others have stated, just pick up your phone. I don't advise knocking on their cabin door, as I have read about some "not so nice neighbors".

Good luck with your treatments and I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing cruise. :)

We have only experienced the smoke smell a couple of times on a R/C cruise but like others have stated I would not worry about it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell where it's coming from.

On a positive note congrats on finishing your treatment. Try not to worry about the smell issue and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Droop

I know this can be a touchy subject, but please, no snarky responses. This is our very first cruise. I need to know about smoking on balconies. I have read it is prohibited, but do people follow that? I really want to avoid being in the path of smoke. I would like to hear the experiences of others.

I'm not trying to be arrogant. I am in my 30's and just completed treatment for cancer, so I try to be very diligent about being as healthy as possible. This is actually our celebratory vacation!

most lines ban it and you are WELL within your rights to call and complain if you see/smell it. to hell with what the people who deliberately disobey the policies think about it. it is explicitly forbidden and no one has the moral authority to disregard policy because they don't like it.

You did not say where your cruise is going to or starts. But if it is a Asia cruise (starting in Asia) smoking is allowed on all Royal Cabin Balconies, it is not prohibited like it is on the North American cruises.

• 1 month later...

We completed our cruise, which was wonderful. But I did want to come back and update this question. Apparently I am the unluckiest person on earth. Our balcony cabin was on the opposite side of the smoking side of the pool deck. Our neighbor one floor below and one cabin to the right regularly smoked. It only got worse. After we visited Cozumel, our NEXT DOOR neighbor must have purchased CIGARS. He was constantly out there smoking them! I couldn't even go out there. This went on for two days until I finally got sick of it and reported it to my room steward on the last day of the cruise. She said her supervisor would take care of it and he didn't smoke again, but geez it made me mad. I spent a lot of extra money to have that balcony room when I couldn't even enjoy it fully.