Camera, what is good?

Bimmie Girl

We are traveling to Alaska in August and have been looking at purchasing a good camera for a year. We have no idea of what to get but know we are willing to spend between around $800 + for a good camera. We are doing 8 days land and 7 days sea, so wanting to capture the beauty the best we can. Does anyone have any suggestions on cameras? We are not experienced photographers, but want to take pics like we are;)

You may roll your eyes... A Canon S120 is about the size of a 100s pack of cigarettes. It's considered a high end point & shoot and they take EXCELLENT pictures. I had an S95 that I accidentally broke and immediately replaced it with an S100. They keep making them better - and adding "10" to the name each generation. In the neighborhood of $500. I'll have my S100 in Alaska this coming May.

Good luck!

I love my Nikon DSLR..... the large sensor yields incredible images... however it also means less luggage space.

EVIL or Mirrorless cameras like the Sony A6%00 are a popular option for travelers.

Possible dissenting opinion--but the best camera is the one that's easiest to use. I feel bad for people who spend their vacations working so hard to "capture" everything that they don't just sit back and enjoy the Wonder of It All.

I took lots of pictures with my "decent" point and shoot, but was more concerned with catching my kids and wife enjoying themselves. For $30 at Glacier Bay, I bought a flash drive from the National Park vendors that had a ton of professional landscape and scenic pictures, and didn't have to fuss over them. Easy way out, I know--but I've enjoyed the pictures and don't feel like I only saw Alaska through a lens. YMMV.

We are traveling to Alaska in August and have been looking at purchasing a good camera for a year. We have no idea of what to get but know we are willing to spend between around $800 + for a good camera. We are doing 8 days land and 7 days sea, so wanting to capture the beauty the best we can. Does anyone have any suggestions on cameras? We are not experienced photographers, but want to take pics like we are;)

The good news is you budget will give you a good amount of flexibility. You can get a very nice point and shoot or an entry level dslr easily in your price range.

I have been using a canon rebel dslr for several years now and love it. Nikon also makes some entry level dslr cameras that are equally as good. The great thing about dslr cameras is the flexibility they can give you because you can change the lenses for different types of photography. When choosing between canon or Nikon, consider if you know anyone who owns one of the other that could give you some tips on using it or lend you some lenses to try out.

As another poster mentioned, the best camera is the one that you will use. For that reason, no matter what you choose, take some time before your trip to learn the ins and outs of how it works and the various features and what they do. That way, when your trip comes, you'll know what setting to put it on and get the results you want. Then you can spend more time enjoying your holiday and less fussing with your camera, or worse coming home with few photographic memories because you couldn't get the darn thing to work.

If you're serious about a new camera, which I gather you are given your budget, go to a small shop in your local area that specializes in camera gear rather than a big box retailer. They'll take the time to answer your questions and help you pick out the camera that will work best for you.

Happy shopping and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We had never heard of a super zoom camera until reading the Cruise Critic photo boards. Based on our research we just bought a Nikon Coolpix P900. No changing lenses, just a point and shoot but it has an insanely good zoom feature that we like for wildlife and scenery shooting. Less than $700. But it's true - careful you don't get so wrapped up in looking through the lens that you miss the bigger picture of what's all around you. (I made that mistake when trying to get shots of the zippy pod of dolphin racing the ship - spent so much time trying to frame the pictures, but my most vivid memory was after I put the camera down and soaked in the exuberance of those beautiful critters doing what they do). Good luck!

Edited by LoriPhil

When we first started traveling years ago we always took pictures. I now have boxes of pictures that we never look at. Now when we travel we bring a tablet which takes great pictures. We show them to our friends and delete the ones we wish not to keep. Pictures really don't capture the moment and as I tell everyone" You must see it your self". Photos are great if you are into that thing but we aren't. Just my opinion!

I recently had to buy a new camera after many years of having one that I liked.

I discovered a new category called "Bridge Cameras" which are cameras with very large zoom (60x optical). There are some really nice ones out there. I no longer want to learn a DSLR anymore as many things I wanted in those are available in these new cameras (shooting raw, etc..). A lot of the ones I looked at were larger then my existing camera but still not too large.

When we first started traveling years ago we always took pictures. I now have boxes of pictures that we never look at. Now when we travel we bring a tablet which takes great pictures. We show them to our friends and delete the ones we wish not to keep. Pictures really don't capture the moment and as I tell everyone" You must see it your self". Photos are great if you are into that thing but we aren't. Just my opinion!

I don't get my pics developed. They are mostly for me, digitally. I figure when I am old and can't travel, I will have these to remind me. I sometimes make photo books.

I agree, if you are not into this, just enjoy the scenery......

I feel bad for people who spend their vacations working so hard to "capture" everything that they don't just sit back and enjoy the Wonder of It All.

There are people like me who are passionate about photography, and people like you who don't care. For the rest of my life, I can revisit the places I've been through my image library (which I go into often), and you can't. Different strokes.

I am always looking at my pictures and have them categorised on my phone and tablet. So I love my camera and am another who purchased a superzoom which is fabulous.

I also have several hard cover coffee table picture albums of my various trips. All produced digitally. I made my mother one for her 80th birthday of her life photos and she read it constantly each day until she died.

I love my photos.

Edited by Pushka

Bimmie Girl, I am an experienced amateur photographer and I have a Sony A6000 that someone mentioned. This is more camera than you need with interchangeable lenses and more advanced options. I have a few suggestions for you but first I want to mention the two things your new camera MUST include for your trip to Alaska.

1. A VIEWFINDER. Many small pocket point & shoot cameras do not have viewfinders that you put your eye up to and look through to compose your photo. The only way to view and compose the photos is on the screen on the back of the camera. In bright light (like outdoors in Alaska) you will find it difficult to see the screen to compose and take your photos. Make sure whatever camera you pick has a viewfinder.

2. A GOOD ZOM RANGE. Whether it is a smaller point & shoot or a larger "bridge" camera, make sure you have a zoom that says at least 20x zoom. Some I mention below have 30x and 50x. For Alaska you will be so happy you have an ample zoom.

Now for suggestions. For smaller sized cameras look at:

Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS50K. It has a 30x zoom (considered a "travel" zoom), and is about $300.

Sony Cyber Shot DSC HX 90V, nice big zoom 30x, about $300.

Both of these small cameras have viewfinders and great zooms.

For larger "bridge" camera:

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ3000, Super Zoom (25 -600) great for Alaska. But may be more camera than you need but would be great to grow into. About $500.

Sony DSC - HX400V/B 50x. Big zoom. May be more camera than you need. About $500.

If you are not experienced I would not recommend paying $800 for a camera UNLESS you plan to really learn about F stop, exposure, etc. and you want to print photos of use in a blog or photo book. You can buy very, very good cameras for $300 - $500. Please google the ones I mentioned and read reviews on Amazon. Some people will say your smart phone will suffice but that would be a mistake for Alaska. You need a nice camera with a viewfinder and a good zoom range but you do not need to break the bank. Good Luck!

Edited by KathiB

Bimmie Girl, I am an experienced amateur photographer and I have a Sony A6000 that someone mentioned. This is more camera than you need with interchangeable lenses and more advanced options. I have a few suggestions for you but first I want to mention the two things your new camera MUST include for your trip to Alaska.

1. A VIEWFINDER. Many small pocket point & shoot cameras do not have viewfinders that you put your eye up to and look through to compose your photo. The only way to view and compose the photos is on the screen on the back of the camera. In bright light (like outdoors in Alaska) you will find it difficult to see the screen to compose and take your photos. Make sure whatever camera you pick has a viewfinder.

2. A GOOD ZOM RANGE. Whether it is a smaller point & shoot or a larger "bridge" camera, make sure you have a zoom that says at least 20x zoom. Some I mention below have 30x and 50x. For Alaska you will be so happy you have an ample zoom.

Now for suggestions. For smaller sized cameras look at:

Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS50K. It has a 30x zoom (considered a "travel" zoom), and is about $300.

Sony Cyber Shot DSC HX 90V, nice big zoom 30x, about $300.

Both of these small cameras have viewfinders and great zooms.

For larger "bridge" camera:

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ3000, Super Zoom (25 -600) great for Alaska. But may be more camera than you need but would be great to grow into. About $500.

Sony DSC - HX400V/B 50x. Big zoom. May be more camera than you need. About $500.

If you are not experienced I would not recommend paying $800 for a camera UNLESS you plan to really learn about F stop, exposure, etc. and you want to print photos of use in a blog or photo book. You can buy very, very good cameras for $300 - $500. Please google the ones I mentioned and read reviews on Amazon. Some people will say your smart phone will suffice but that would be a mistake for Alaska. You need a nice camera with a viewfinder and a good zoom range but you do not need to break the bank. Good Luck!

I narrowed down my search (recently) to a Canon Powershot SX60 and a LUMIX DMC-FZ300. Both are around $450 on the internet.

Before making the purchase - I came across the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 for $160 on clearance at Best Buy. It has a 60 optical zoom and it is more camera then I could ever imagine. I was surprised as Best Buy never has the best price but they did here. I had to drive about 60 miles to get it. I have never purchased Lumix but have seen the reviews for the past 10-15 years and they have been good. I also wanted a view finder which ruled out a ton of cameras and put me in a higher price range.

The camera is now 2 weeks old and due to ugly weather, I haven't used it but am anxious to do so.

Glad to hear Lumix is getting good reviews here and on the camera link posted above. Reviews on Amazon have been great. If it wasn't for this camera, I was struggling between the Canon and Lumix FZ300 - the Lumix had a very durable body and was dust resistant (which ruined my last camera) and was rain resistant (not waterproof).

Three things.

1. Buy something anything now, use it, read the manual, use it, reread the manual. Before! you go on your trip.

2. Anything with a good viewfinder will be easier to use.

3. I have heard that it rains in August in Alaska. All of the camera gear I will be taking will be usable in a heavy rain. You should ask for at least weather-resistant.

4 . (I know I said 3 things; I lied.). I would buy a medium range $600-800 camera, then stuff the "kit" lens in the closet. Buy a high quality zoom with a wide aperture that is usable in low light. After the cruise if you are not committed to ongoing photography, then sell the expensive lens on eBay. You'll recover most of the cost.

Enjoy!

I am going to Alaska in 2017 and had the same dilemma. I did a ton of research and ultimately decided that a bridge camera or superzoom was the type I wanted due to the huge optical zoom offered. I actually thought I wanted a different camera, but when I tried the Sony HX400v at the local Best Buy I knew it was my camera. It just fit my hands well and felt intuitive to me. I found one on eBay for less than $400 that included extra batteries, charger, and a case, and I look forward to learning more about it before I go on my trip.

I think deciding what type of camera you want: DSLR, bridge, compact is the first step and then doing the research on which one you want. Try to get into a store that has some selection and get your hands on them. You may find one just seems more right for you. I really wanted to love the Nikon Coolpix P900, but I just didn't like the way it felt as much as the Sony. I practiced taking some super zoom shots across the store, and I liked the results and ease of use.

I agree that having a viewfinder was important for me as was the ability to go quickly and easily between viewfinder and screen.

Love my Lumix Coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yea - great to hear!

The reviews have always been amazing. I just don't know anyone who has owned one. Now I do :)

This was a no brainer with this on clearance. The specs are amazing! When the weather clears up, I will take my dog to the park and practice some shots on her! :)

Edited by Coral

I wish I could remember the web-site... But, we were looking at possibly buying a camera, and went to a camera/electronics shop, and the guy could actually pull up a comparison between cameras. And possibly cameras in a given price range.

My husband had thought about the Canon (maybe the T5 ???) but the guy there showed us how the similar Nikon, in that same price range but maybe slightly higher, was the better camera.

Not sure if this also holds true for the Nikon in the higher price range that you are considering or not? But, perhaps a visit to a good photo-camera shop would help you make the right decision. I do know a couple of photography buffs who like their Nikons in that upper price range.

One poster mentioned Sony.. And some Sony cameras can be very good. We have a small Sony point and shoot, with a great zoom, and up to 15-18mb images. And it does have a lot of options and settings for shooting. I have always thought that this was a great little camera for the price we gave for it.

Yea - great to hear!

The reviews have always been amazing. I just don't know anyone who has owned one. Now I do

This was a no brainer with this on clearance. The specs are amazing! When the weather clears up, I will take my dog to the park and practice some shots on her! :)

Just for you then. These were taken at a long distance and without a tripod!

For comparison at different zooms. Dubai mall.

6aad1717437c6e266f67e88994edcd41.jpg

2ecf74799f4781deb0e7d43267c572df.jpg

608a019269219cf7fcea0d3f9afec6ec.jpg

See that construction jutting out about 1/3 from the top of the Burj Al Arab?

3ff4ab50416bb530a6ec3523d709a509.jpg

This is the zoom at work - same location as first shot. No tripod - hand held

3624c5421e68e775bd8feb11ca7502e6.jpg

Edited by Pushka

The 200 model and which has been superseded by the 300 - added features like wifi. But if you can nab the 200 you might get a great price.

I just picked up the Lumix DMC-FZ70 for $160 on clearance which has a 60x optical zoom. I wish it was a tad smaller but I can live with this.

I was looking at the 300 - and would probably have bought that until I found this one. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't need a lot of features like WIFI and 4K video. I did like the dust proof and water resistant though.

The Lumix DMC-FZ70 seems to meet my needs right now and I can't go wrong with the price. I just need to play with it and get used to it.

Lumix seems to make amazing cameras from what I have read.