Barry Manilow Is Suing Princess Cruises

elliair

That was my initial thought...who would want to see him in person after watching that video. :D

Seriously though, I don't understand the part of the complaint that it would hurt their ticket sales. Either you like Barry Manilow or not. You certainly wouldn't take a cruise in lieu of going to see him.

I think Swank will have more culpability here. Princess paid them for the rights. If Swank didn't have the rights to sell they seem more guilty. And Princess showed the film in International Waters.

On that note, no loss to me for it to be pulled from the line up.

Since its in international waters, you can have a whale as judge and a course Sharks will be the Attorneys.

Actually Barry would be one of the younger passengers on a Princess cruise....NEWS FLASH....Princess cruisers are not exactly the hip, cool and slick crowd of the cruising world!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But we like to think we are! :D

Actually Barry would be one of the younger passengers on a Princess cruise....NEWS FLASH....Princess cruisers are not exactly the hip, cool and slick crowd of the cruising world!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey, now...:cool:

I am on a Princess cruise in June would I have time to cancel if Princess win the case and continue to show Barry Manilow on MUTS?

........it started my Saturday morning with some REAL belly laughs!! :) :)

I am on a Princess cruise in June would I have time to cancel if Princess win the case and continue to show Barry Manilow on MUTS?

Gee, I was wondering if I could cancel my May cruise if they stop showing his concerts. I don't remember where the cruise is going--I just booked it so I could sit and listen to Barry sing-lol!

I always get him and Wayne Newton confused.:D

Funny you should mention Wayne Newton. I went to an estate sale the other day and the woman was crazy for Wayne Newton. There was every record album he ever made, a life size poster of him, 8 track tapes, all kinds of memorabilia. I didn't see anyone buying anything of his. As for Barry, the last I heard of him he was not in the best of health. I don't know who gets acts together for MUTS, but I haven't seen anything in the Patters that would get me to go watch it. I might go pick up a bag of popcorn but that's about it.

I know being able to watch Barry Manilow in concert is the only reason I take a Princess cruise, instead of going to Lost Wages (Las Vegas). Actually I've never seen his show on Princess, nor have I ever been to Vegas.

You haven't missed much in either case.

I know being able to watch Barry Manilow in concert is the only reason I take a Princess cruise, instead of going to Lost Wages (Las Vegas). Actually I've never seen his show on Princess, nor have I ever been to Vegas.

Spend your money on a Cruise.

You haven't missed much in either case.

Agree

Swank, named in the lawsuit, has been in the non-theatrical film and entertainment biz for many decades. They used to rent 16mm and 35mm films to schools, universities, hospitals, airlines, etc.

I think the problem is in the way Princess advertised the screening in the patters. Advertising non-theatrical screenings has always been a touchy subject, and many rental contracts forbid it.

Lets hope Princess doesn't start running Neil Sedaka concerts on MUTS.

LOL. I feel compelled to tell my Neil Sedeka story.

I believe it was the late 50s, so my friends and I were all about 11 or 12 years old. My next door neighbor built a basketball half court in her backyard because her oldest son was on the high school varsity basketball team. She allowed the neighborhood kids to play there.

One day while we were on the court, a car pulled up and parked. It was a red Jaguar XKE convertible. We all stopped playing and went over and literally ogled the car.

My neighbor came out and said that Neil Sedeka was there. (He had married a girl from our home town and their family was friendly with her family.) But, none of us cared at all to meet or hear him sing. We all just wanted to keep looking at that car.

Edited by ontheweb

I believe it was the late 50s, so my friends and I were all about 11 or 12 years old. My next door neighbor built a basketball half court in her backyard because her oldest son was on the high school varsity basketball team. She allowed the neighborhood kids to play there.

One day while we were on the court, a car pulled up and parked. It was a red Jaguar XKE convertible. We all stopped playing and went over and literally ogled the car.

My neighbor came out and said that Neil Sedeka was there. (He had married a girl from our home town and their family was friendly with her family.) But, none of us cared at all to meet or hear him sing. We all just wanted to keep looking at that car.

Nice car and great story. I grew up about 130 miles north of where you are from. ;o)

Edited by davekathy

These infringement suits go on all the time with mixed results. Our last cruise at the M&G, the assistant CD talked to us and was asked about the copyright issue. She told us that Princess pays millions to use songs, videos, TV broadcasts etc. They monitor all ships for a short period (forget the time but it was maybe a few weeks) every song played, video used etc and pay royalties based on that number. Princess goes through a central agency who markets the trademarked media and pays the fees.

One thing that she did mention and I had not really thought about it but when sporting events like the superbowl is broadcast on the ship, Princess has to pay a substantial royalty to be able to show it. Luckily though the "happy birthday" jingle has been determined by a federal judge to be in the public domain and cannot be protected which is why you now hear it being used a lot.

Given that I'm of a certain age, I'd much rather see/listen to Neil Sedaka sing than that Manilow feller.

I would not be happy if our cruise had Barry Manilow music blasting out at the pool! lol

However, if they really want to use it, they should pay for it like everyone else. And they should pay me if I have to listen to it. :p