Istanbul Homicide Bombing

ChucktownSteve

Hi,

We are booked on the Quest July 2017 embarking out of Istanbul. Everyone we know who's been there says its an amazing city. We were so looking forward to touring. However I'm becoming more alarmed as the violence has been escalating.

According to Reuters today, "A suicide bomber killed himself and four others in a central Istanbul shopping and tourism district on Saturday, wounding at least 36 people in the fourth such attack in Turkey this year."

"A PKK offshoot claimed responsibility for two suicide bombings in the capital Ankara over the past month, which killed a total of 66 people. And Islamic State was blamed for a suicide bombing in Istanbul in January which killed at least 12 German tourists.

One of the officials said the bomber had planned to hit a more crowded location but was deterred by the police presence."

Azamara already moved the 2016 embarkation from Istanbul but has done nothing with the itineraries for the next two years out of Istanbul.

In a few months we'll need to be making flight and hotel arrangements. If Azamara is going to alter the itinerary, I'd rather know before I do all my research and bookings.

Bonnie, would you be able to find out if AZ is considering altering the 2017 sailing? If not, would you mind please passing along our concerns? Thank you.

Steve

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hi,

We are booked on the Quest July 2017 embarking out of Istanbul. Everyone we know who's been there says its an amazing city. We were so looking forward to touring. However I'm becoming more alarmed as the violence has been escalating.

According to Reuters today, "A suicide bomber killed himself and four others in a central Istanbul shopping and tourism district on Saturday, wounding at least 36 people in the fourth such attack in Turkey this year."

"A PKK offshoot claimed responsibility for two suicide bombings in the capital Ankara over the past month, which killed a total of 66 people. And Islamic State was blamed for a suicide bombing in Istanbul in January which killed at least 12 German tourists.

One of the officials said the bomber had planned to hit a more crowded location but was deterred by the police presence."

Azamara already moved the 2016 embarkation from Istanbul but has done nothing with the itineraries for the next two years out of Istanbul.

In a few months we'll need to be making flight and hotel arrangements. If Azamara is going to alter the itinerary, I'd rather know before I do all my research and bookings.

Bonnie, would you be able to find out if AZ is considering altering the 2017 sailing? If not, would you mind please passing along our concerns? Thank you.

Steve

This would be a good cruise to do your air through Azamara. Then if they change the embarkation, they will take care of your flights as well.

We are on the rearranged 4 June 2016 which is now out of Athens instead of Istanbul. Azamara gave everyone up to £350 to change hotels/flights. This was more than sufficient for us and we are happy with the new cruise. We also got a small OBC. It is hard to know what to do at this stage, but if you go ahead and make arrangements, I am sure Azamara will do something similar if they make changes. What about booking flights with Azamara? Is this an option for you?

Hi,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have not heard of changes to 2017 in the works. Do know our team is constantly monitoring world situations and will always make decisions in favor of safety over all other factors.

On a personal side, I love Istanbul. I feel so bad that this generous and welcoming city is being targeted. My heart breaks especially for the victims and their families.

I think that Azamara has been very fair to offer to rebook cruises, give refunds or if you continue with the new list of ports get a cabin allowance and an air fair rebooking reimbursement.

The recent (2nd suicide bomber in Istanbul) who killed 5 people this past weekend is now reported as from Syria and ISIS trained. It is reported that he followed the tourists from their hotel to their restaurant, waited until they had finished their meal and then after they left approached them and detonated his bomb.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-Suicide-bomber-in-Istanbul-stalked-the-group-of-Israelis-448644

The first suicide bombing happened when a man approached a large group of German Tourists.

Tourists now seem to be a "target." If you consider Paris, The bombings in the Spanish train station, and the UK London bombings "now" is not the right word. It seems that ISIS is targeting anyone and everyone where ever they can.

Unless things get much worse, I am going to go from Athens to Istanbul to do a little low key tourism away from tour groups of any size. My wife has booked us in a hotel for Athens, but we are not going to stay in a Best Western, Hilton or on a major square. We are staying in a small locally owned hotel. The same will be true of our stay in Istanbul.

My take on all of this is that large or even moderate tour groups (say organized cruise land/port tours) are now likely to be targets in certain areas of the world. I think that independent or self guided tours in now the way to do things especially in the middle east.

Edited by robert32asp

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Steve

I think I am on the same cruise on July 22. If they are already cancelling 2016 itineraries, of course they would do the same for 2017. Our big issue is whether we would cancel before Azamara makes a decision on what they are going to do. Too bad because we got such a great deal when we booked this cruise almost nine months ago.

I think I am on the same cruise on July 22. If they are already cancelling 2016 itineraries, of course they would do the same for 2017. Our big issue is whether we would cancel before Azamara makes a decision on what they are going to do. Too bad because we got such a great deal when we booked this cruise almost nine months ago.

I'm thinking if I fly Choice Air in the same day and they miss the Istanbul embarkation due to a flight delay or AZ changes the embarkation to another port, I'll be covered to either the next port or new embarkation. As long as I get on the ship I'll be happy. Just not thrilled about Turkey at this point.

But if I am killed in a terrorist attack, I'll never speak to Bonnie again! :p

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm thinking if I fly Choice Air in the same day and they miss the Istanbul embarkation due to a flight delay or AZ changes the embarkation to another port, I'll be covered to either the next port or new embarkation. As long as I get on the ship I'll be happy. Just not thrilled about Turkey at this point.

But if I am killed in a terrorist attack, I'll never speak to Bonnie again! :p

What!! Don't say that!

What's more, if you never speak to me again, regardless of the reason, I'll be :(:(:(

What!! Don't say that!

What's more, if you never speak to me again, regardless of the reason, I'll be :(:(:(

Thank you Bonnie for letting us see you as a real person, with a sense of humor! It's nice that Azamara has an official presence here, but to be able to put a "human face" on it is -- as someone said -- "priceless"!

Thank you Bonnie for letting us see you as a real person, with a sense of humor! It's nice that Azamara has an official presence here, but to be able to put a "human face" on it is -- as someone said -- "priceless"!

That's sweet of you to say :)

Here's a picture of me shoreside on the 2014 British Isles cruise raising a non-complimentary non-IPA cerveza.

image.jpg.58e63f7afbccf2b6ea75d005e229313f.jpg

That's sweet of you to say :)

Here's a picture of me shoreside on the 2014 British Isles cruise raising a non-complimentary non-IPA cerveza.

It must have been strong cerveza - you're already lying down!!

• 2 months later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36466744

A car bomb attack targeting a police bus has killed seven officers and four civilians in central Istanbul.

The explosives were remotely detonated as the vehicle passed through the busy Vezneciler district at the morning rush hour, officials said.

No group has said it carried out the attack, but Kurdish militants have recently hit security targets.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "fight the terrorists to the end".

The explosion happened near the city's historic Beyazit Square neighbourhood, a major tourist attraction, and an Istanbul university building.

Istanbul's governor, Vasip Sahin, said about 36 other people were injured.

Recent attacks in Turkey

March 2016: 35 people killed by Kurdish militants in Ankara; 4 dead in a suicide attack in Istanbul

February 2016: 28 killed in military convoy in Ankara

January 2016: 12 German tourists are killed in a suspected IS suicide bombing in Istanbul

October 2015: More than 100 people are killed in a double suicide bombing at a Kurdish peace rally in Ankara

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Sad for the people hurt in Istanbul, but we just had a lovely day in Ephesus. Our tour guide said they are really hurting from the loss of tourists, but we saw nothing here that would give us any safety worries.

Sad for the people hurt in Istanbul, but we just had a lovely day in Ephesus. Our tour guide said they are really hurting from the loss of tourists, but we saw nothing here that would give us any safety worries.

Jazzbeau,

Yes very sad for the families & friends as well.

I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking, what would you see that would give you safety worries? Is there a way to predict a terrorist attack?

Our cruise next years is still scheduled to embark from Istanbul.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I feel so sorry for the people of Istanbul. It's the most beautiful city and I've always been treated with great kindness by the people there.

The world is a very unsafe place right now and each of us must decide whether we are going to continue travelling or stay home.

I am going on Journey next week from Rome to Athens and am expecting to have a wonderful cruise as I always do.

Sad indeed for the people of Istanbul.

Last October when we embarked from Istanbul we deliberately chose to utilize ChoiceAir, thinking that if changes in itinerary were needed then their agents would make the required adjustments.

Unfortunately, we think the same precautions are still a good idea.

Jazzbeau,

Yes very sad for the families & friends as well.

I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking, what would you see that would give you safety worries? Is there a way to predict a terrorist attack?

Our cruise next years is still scheduled to embark from Istanbul.

Crowds. Istanbul is full of them, and I would not go there [been once, saw the sights, didn't like the pushy carpet salesmen who wouldn't take no for an answer, won't go back even if it is declared 'safe']. But Ephesus is clean, pretty, not in a town, full of Greco-Roman history, and our guide was a delightful Turkish woman. The point I keep stressing is that whenever there is an attack in Istanbul, it gets reported as "Turkey is unsafe." Istanbul is no more Turkey than New York City is the United States.

As to your cruise: if I were in your shoes I would seriously consider cancelling that cruise, or at least I would buy my airfare from the cruise line and fly in the day of the cruise and go straight from the airport to the ship. But if that cruise stops at Ephesus (Kusadasi), I would plan a private tour and enjoy it.

I wouldn't cancel your 2017 cruise!

We have a team of professionals constantly monitoring the world situation, and in close and frequent contact with all the ports.

Safety is our Number One concern and we wouldn't hesitate to make a change if and where deemed necessary.

Crowds. Istanbul is full of them, and I would not go there [been once, saw the sights, didn't like the pushy carpet salesmen who wouldn't take no for an answer, won't go back even if it is declared 'safe']. But Ephesus is clean, pretty, not in a town, full of Greco-Roman history, and our guide was a delightful Turkish woman. The point I keep stressing is that whenever there is an attack in Istanbul, it gets reported as "Turkey is unsafe." Istanbul is no more Turkey than New York City is the United States.

As to your cruise: if I were in your shoes I would seriously consider cancelling that cruise, or at least I would buy my airfare from the cruise line and fly in the day of the cruise and go straight from the airport to the ship. But if that cruise stops at Ephesus (Kusadasi), I would plan a private tour and enjoy it.

Thank you for your input. I am so looking forward to cruising Azamara thus I'm not eager to cancel. The only part of the cruise that I'm really very concerned about is the Istanbul embarkation. The remainder of the 14 night itinerary is fantastic.

The cruise is stopping in Kusadasi so I'll look for a private tour.

Using ChoiceAir to arrive the morning of the cruise and going straight to the ship sounds like the best option in a bad situation if AZ doesn't change the embarkation port from Istanbul like they did this year.

Maybe I should look on the bright side if they keep Istanbul and the ship has low occupancy, perhaps I'll get a suite upgrade. :-)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just checked my trip insurance policy. My Travel Insured policy is pretty straight forward on the terrorist issue.

Under reasons listed for cancellation: "a Terrorist Incident that occurs within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date in a city listed on the itinerary of Your Trip;"

Their definition: “Terrorist Incident” means an act of violence, that is deemed terrorism by the United States Government other than civil disorder or riot (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting alone or in association with other persons on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any other government.

copy Just checked my trip insurance policy. My Travel Insured policy is pretty straight forward on the terrorist issue.

Under reasons listed for cancellation: "a Terrorist Incident that occurs within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date in a city listed on the itinerary of Your Trip;"

Their definition: “Terrorist Incident” means an act of violence, that is deemed terrorism by the United States Government other than civil disorder or riot (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting alone or in association with other persons on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any other government.

Will attempt to write this in a non-political manner. Based on the definition you provided, would be very concerned about acts being deemed terrorism by the United States Government as the current administration has almost completely avoided using that term for what most agree are acts of terrorism. Certainly hope the next administration is not as reluctant to declare acts of terrorism as such and not be afraid to use those words as if not, your claim if any may be declined.

RallyDave,

Your point about the U.S. government is well taken. However I found the following on the U.S. Department of State web site:

United States Condemns Terrorist Attack in Istanbul, Turkey

Press StatementJohn Kirby

Assistant Secretary and Department Spokesperson, Bureau of Public Affairs

Washington, DC

March 19, 2016

The United States strongly condemns the terrorist attack today on Istanbul's Istiklal Avenue. We extend our deepest condolences to the families of those killed and our hopes for a quick recovery for those wounded. We will remain in close touch with Turkish authorities during the investigation.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2016/03/254850.htm

Maybe he didn't get the "memo" when using the word terrorist? :rolleyes:

Edited by ChucktownSteve