18 year old drinking waiver

Savmom9801

We will be traveling with our 18 year old who is bringing a friend. I know parents can sign a waiver allowing 18 year olds to drink beer and wine, but will we as his friend's chaperones be able to sign the waiver for his friend as well? His friend's parents won't be traveling with us.

Ive read and seeing videos of cruise trips that have "kids" who get stupid

because they are drinking and get into fights, stubbling around like idiots....etc. Is this what cruising has become? Letting kids drink? Why? They cant drink back home....Id really like a good reason for this issue to even come up

because they are drinking and get into fights, stubbling around like idiots....etc. Is this what cruising has become? Letting kids drink? Why? They cant drink back home....Id really like a good reason for this issue to even come up

Good point! Thanks!

Edited by Savmom9801

The fact that in some parts of the world the drinking age is less than 21 may have something to do with it.

We will be traveling with our 18 year old who is bringing a friend. I know parents can sign a waiver allowing 18 year olds to drink beer and wine, but will we as his friend's chaperones be able to sign the waiver for his friend as well? His friend's parents won't be traveling with us.

No. You can sign for your son but a parent or legal guardian must sign for his friend. You and your son have to present your ID's at Guest Services verifying you parent/child and both have to sign the authorization. The same must occur for your son's friend.

It really is a shame that a guy old enough to put on a uniform and defend his country cannot have a beer but thanks to our spineless congress(no upper-case letter for them any more, not worthy) they are sort of not allowed.

I'm pretty certain that the parent must be travelling with them to sign the waiver.

The fact that in some parts of the world the drinking age is less than 21 may have something to do with it.

You must have misspelled "most parts of the world". US with 21-year-old limit is in small minority.

Edited by Demonyte

How bout you just not let 18 year olds drink?? we all waited till we were 21:rolleyes:

Contrary to popular belief not everyone is from the USA and has a 21 year old drinking age. It's 19 in most of Canada and 18 in some of Canada. Or better yet how about you don't worry how other people enjoy their vacation :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by res2cue

It really is a shame that a guy old enough to put on a uniform and defend his country cannot have a beer but thanks to our spineless congress(no upper-case letter for them any more, not worthy) they are sort of not allowed.

I'm pretty certain that the parent must be travelling with them to sign the waiver.

while being of the same age as military members is immaterial in my opinion, actual military members should be allowed, but are not.

op, as an fyi, your son and his friend can drink in most ports if they so desire even if they can't drink on ship.

How bout you just not let 18 year olds drink?? we all waited till we were 21:rolleyes:

I was about to say something similar. 18 year olds who aren't used to being able to hold their own alcohol could get into some crazy trouble on the ship.

The United States is only one of four developed countries that has a drinking age above 18. The drinking age when I was growing up was 18. It was changed to 21 in 1984 when the Federal Government threatened to withhold part of the states highway funding if the age wasn't raised.

Many U.S. states do have exceptions for under-aged drinking. One of those exceptions is if you are in your home and you, as a parent, give alcohol to your under 21 child. (No, not to their friends). :)

No reason why someone over 18 can't drink with their parents on a cruise ship. Boorish, drunken behavior doesn't have an age limit.

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's okay.

Yes it does. If its legal its OK. In the UK its a complicated law. Drinking in bars and pubs has an 18 limit but if you are in a licenced restaurant having a meal then you can do so from 16.

I'm not sure what the actual legal age for drinking at home is but I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid ( a long time ago) it was 7.

If you are unfortunate enough to be born in, and living in, the US then you would have had to wait until you were 21. If you were born in the vast majority of the world then you would have been able to drink earlier, in many cases, much earlier. I believe that a lot of continental Europe the limit is 13 in bars.

Edit: My apologies. According to Wikipedia the legal age for drinking in Europe has increased since I was a kid and now starts at 16 for some and 18 for most others.

Edited by Burgmeister

Yes it does. I could drink since I was 16 (not hard liquor) beer and wine, I didn't like beer so didn't drink it and would drink wine mixed with a soft drink (all this legally) under adult supervision, no sneaking drinks for me. I was amazed to hear from friends who's drinking all get was older, who were sneaking out of bedroom windows to go drinking in fields!! Doing all sorts of underhand things, and to my mind dangerous things to get there hands on alcohol. Making something illicit does not build a healthy relationship with it. I was 25 before I was even drunk for the first time (and last 😉).

I find it contradictory to sat that someone is an adult at 18, who can vote, get married, have children and serve their country, but are not old enough to decide if can have a beer or not!

I was able to sign for my daughter's friend. It's my understanding that this is hit or miss though.

Exactly correct. I have no issue at all allowing my 19-year old to drink. :rolleyes:

I was about to say something similar. 18 year olds who aren't used to being able to hold their own alcohol could get into some crazy trouble on the ship.

Most adults are worse. Also, I would hope the parents are smart enough to know how mature their own kid is before allowing them to drink.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

How bout you answer the question and keep your opinions to yourself ? BTW we didn't all have to wait until we were 21. When I was 18 it was legal to drink.