Xcellerate performance on Reflection - some technical details

markluke

Latency makes sense, and the download probably as well because people haven't discovered it yet...I got higher upload rates on the Reflection but they varied quite a bit.

Glad that they are busy upgrading the fleet.

We were told by the Chief Engineer that they set the max bandwidth per user based on the number of unlimited packages sold. The more packages the lower the bandwidth limit per user.

TommyD3, were the free minutes you got from Captains Club the new high speed service?

I am Zenith and get 1680 minutes per cruise.

I signed up on March 20.

On March 23 the system transitioned to the higher speed.

I have the higher speed and did not have to do anything or pay any extra.

They have yet to advertise the new higher speed is available.

I did find it interesting that they advertised the last day to get unlimited internet was the day before the upgrade......

Edited by TommyD3

Thanks for the update Tom. Hope it's all sorted out, when we board Eclipse next Sunday. Having a faster internet would be very helpful. Are you finding the internet more reliable, with less disconnects ?

Have a wonderful cruise. My best to you and your family.

Thanks for the update Tom. Hope it's all sorted out, when we board Eclipse next Sunday. Having a faster internet would be very helpful. Are you finding the internet more reliable, with less disconnects ?

Andy, friend on board Eclipse at the moment reported that after the internet was down for a few hours to upgrade it is now much better.

Phil

We were told by the Chief Engineer that they set the max bandwidth per user based on the number of unlimited packages sold. The more packages the lower the bandwidth limit per user.

Interesting - so there IS a user-based quota with an upper limit. This does not bode well for Go Best packages...

There should be no need to set a static limit when the router can handle it dynamically.

Interesting - so there IS a user-based quota with an upper limit. This does not bode well for Go Best packages...

There should be no need to set a static limit when the router can handle it dynamically.

True - because if you and only a handful of others happen to be surfing at 3 am, why shouldn't you be able to enjoy a bit more speed?

The only reason for this would be... $ ....

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

True - because if you and only a handful of others happen to be surfing at 3 am, why shouldn't you be able to enjoy a bit more speed?

The only reason for this would be... $ ....

Tom

Or my guess - when 'unlimited' gets congested for a mere $99 upgrade you get 'unlimited unlimited' where they don't cap your speed (much). I suspect they will do this in around 12-18 months when all ships are upgraded.

Hi Andy,

The internet has been great on Eclipse. Even before the upgrade it was almost 4X the speed of the Connie, Equinox, Infinity and Silly for the last 6 months.

Have fun !!!

Tom

Andy, friend on board Eclipse at the moment reported that after the internet was down for a few hours to upgrade it is now much better.

Phil

I went to the computer lab when it was down to find out what was going on. They said it would be back up after 2 PM (actually back up much earlier). I asked if they were doing the high speed update and they said there was NO high speed update. Not sure why they are trying to hide it!!!

Phil

Thanks for the information Phil. Much appreciated !

• 5 months later...
THIS article on using wi-fi to make/receive calls on your cell phone may be of interest to some of you.

Tom

All iPhones offer WiFi calling as well. It's a simple switch to activate in the Settings menu. I started using the feature about a year ago on AT&T and still use it now that i've switched to Sprint.

All iPhones offer WiFi calling as well. It's a simple switch to activate in the Settings menu. I started using the feature about a year ago on AT&T and still use it now that i've switched to Sprint.

I understand that wifi still uses your minutes. Do you get charged international rates when on board if you don't have a CRUISING plan?

I understand that wifi still uses your minutes. Do you get charged international rates when on board if you don't have a CRUISING plan?

If you don't have a "Cruising" Plan you will pay through the roof. Really would recommend doing your research.

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

ATT - Cruise Ship Pay-Per-Use Rates - (without a plan)

Talk 2.50/min

Message .50 per test $1.30 picture or Video message

Celluar Data $.0.01/kb (10.42/mb)