Train vs. Plane to Barcelona from Paris

MATHA531

Let me start by saying I've been to Barcelona and quite frankly am not a big fan of the place. So when I've done cruises out of Barcelona the last several times, my m.o. has been to fly into Barcelona the day before, stay by the airport and make my way to the cruise port the morning of the cruise. For the most part, I prefer to be in place the day before and understand the cons of flying in the day of a cruise.

Having said that, I want to include Paris on this trip to Europe. Just for the record, my cruise is due to leave Barcelona on Friday 03 June. So my first throught was Easy Jet out of Paris on 02 June. But I have discovered, something I must admit I haven't been aware of that the French TGV now runs 4 trains a day from Paris to Barcelona and the trip is 6 hours. It is far less of a hassle to take the train center to center than to fly.

There is a train out of Paris at 0710 arriving in Barcelona at 1330; plenty of time to catch a cab to the cruise port. Has anybody here done this trip this way or would it be better for me (I think the trains are pretty reliable) to take the train the day before and stay over night in downtown Barcelona. Interested in others' thoughts on this.

Let me start by saying I've been to Barcelona and quite frankly am not a big fan of the place. So when I've done cruises out of Barcelona the last several times, my m.o. has been to fly into Barcelona the day before, stay by the airport and make my way to the cruise port the morning of the cruise. For the most part, I prefer to be in place the day before and understand the cons of flying in the day of a cruise.

Having said that, I want to include Paris on this trip to Europe. Just for the record, my cruise is due to leave Barcelona on Friday 03 June. So my first throught was Easy Jet out of Paris on 02 June. But I have discovered, something I must admit I haven't been aware of that the French TGV now runs 4 trains a day from Paris to Barcelona and the trip is 6 hours. It is far less of a hassle to take the train center to center than to fly.

There is a train out of Paris at 0710 arriving in Barcelona at 1330; plenty of time to catch a cab to the cruise port. Has anybody here done this trip this way or would it be better for me (I think the trains are pretty reliable) to take the train the day before and stay over night in downtown Barcelona. Interested in others' thoughts on this.

The train would definitely be my option.

However, transport strikes - train or plane- in France are far from unknown (the French Air Controllers are on strike today and causing havoc to flights throughout Europe) so, for peace of mind, I would definitely do the train journey the day before you sail and overnight in Barcelona.

Edited by campolady

I would do the train. Costs & timing compared to Easyjet is somewhat comparable and this particular train is very comfortable. Now voyages-sncf.com has 69€ fare for Jun 3 in second class. 20 min taxi ride from Sants to dock is may be another 20-22€

Edited by hkto

We loved going by train earlier this year. As we booked early we were able to get first class for a great price. Once I factored in the price of a low cost airline flight, luggage fee and taxi to the airport it was a no brainier. With the time needs to travel to the airport and check in/ security clearance I don't think the train took much longer. And most important we saw lovely scenery, were very comfortable and enjoyed the picnic we brought on board of wine, cheese, bread and chocolate.

We are booked on the TGV out Paris bound for Barcelona at the end of July. Our first time in Europe! Very excited and I like the idea of seeing the country side while sitting back and relaxing a little. We'll be going on enough plane flights there and from Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

WE always fly in to Barcelona. Unlike the OP we love Barcelona. So more time to enjoy it. We have stayed all over Barcelona... at the airport and at the various Hilton hotels in the city and the ARTs hotel a Ritz Carlton very delux. We got a good price when we went and enjoyed it.

We usually fly on Air France, as we are flying from the USA, have a fair amount of luggage and buying an international flight we have a good luggage allowance on Air France. The first flight of the morning either direction to Barcelona from to Paris/Barcelona is cheaper than later in the day generally.

Based on the fact you are asked to get to the airport three hours early, I don't think the flight is any quicker and that assumes the flight leaves on time. Trains are rarely late in leaving and at least so far, you can show up five minutes before they depart.

Trains are rarely late in leaving and at least so far, you can show up five minutes before they depart.

Showing up 5 mins before departure would cause issues, as there are strict security procedures on intercity trains in Spain since the train bombings a few years ago.

A good website for European train information is The Man in Seat 61.

• 2 months later...

Finding great info at Seat 61.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to make a train at 0920 from Barcelona Sant station with a 0630 cruise arrival into port? Since tickets would be purchased and printed prior to cruise is there still baggage checkin and security to go through at the train station. Also, is there any restrictions on food/drinks to take onboard like there is with air travel? TIA

I'm wondering if it's feasible to make a train at 0920 from Barcelona Sant station with a 0630 cruise arrival into port? Since tickets would be purchased and printed prior to cruise is there still baggage checkin and security to go through at the train station. Also, is there any restrictions on food/drinks to take onboard like there is with air travel? TIA

No check-in of any sort at the station, only baggage x-ray. I generally like to be generous with my times, and I would be comfortable booking the 9:20 train.

No check-in of any sort at the station, only baggage x-ray. I generally like to be generous with my times, and I would be comfortable booking the 9:20 train.

I'm the same way, I like to have a little buffer. Especially when it involves something I'm not familiar with.

I read that luggage is taken on with you and placed at luggage racks. Is the space large enough to accommodate full size suitcases? There are 4, maybe 6, adults travelling. I understand now that we will have to manage bags on our own which is no problem.

Should be ok. Taxi ride from dock is about 20 min + may be 10 min to find platform and security.

Thank you!

Is it easy to get a taxi after disembarkation at the Barcelona port? I'm wondering if we should do self carry or have disembarking tickets based on our train time.

Always carry your own luggage if on a schedule. I wouldn't rely on cruise line to be exact on time. Taxis are plenty but there can be a small lineup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by hkto

We're doing the reverse - Paris to Barcelona - and opted to go by train. Mostly, to avoid possible carry-on luggage problems. I did read a suggestion to use a cable luggage lock to attach bags to the rack, so that they couldn't easily be grabbed and taken by someone else.

We're doing the reverse - Paris to Barcelona - and opted to go by train. Mostly, to avoid possible carry-on luggage problems. I did read a suggestion to use a cable luggage lock to attach bags to the rack, so that they couldn't easily be grabbed and taken by someone else.

Good idea, thanks!! Especially if we can't find space near our seats to keep an eye on them.

• 2 weeks later...

WE caught an 8.30 am train (Sunday morning) after a 6 am cruise ship arrival. We left the ship at 6.30 am, there was no queue for the taxis at this point and we were at Barcelona Sants at 7 am. Finding the entrance to the AVE trains and luggage scanning did take time. They start to board you 30 minutes before the trains depart. Best to be early to find space for luggage - there were overhead racks and standing racks. The amount of space available depends on how busy the train is.

We usually take our own luggage off the ship. I don't like the very slim chance that a case will get lost.

No food and drinks restrictions. You can purchase drinks and snacks on the train.

Edited by ollienbertsmum