Confiscated Items

JustCruisin'

Flying to less developed countries you can see people checking in with small electric appliances, and some really large ones. They are usually taking them to family members because it's cheaper than buying where they live or unavailable. I've often thought people who bring cooking appliances on cruises are bringing them for someone they know in a port city.

Or maybe they enjoy cooking the fish they catch off the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm cracking up! What in the world would those be for? Who needs meatballs or slow cooker chicken when you have access to food 24/7?

Just imagining what they were going to do with those is comical....

Mulled wine.

Had my Gerber multi tool taken and not returned in San Juan cruise port. It was in my suitcase. I had taken it on many cruises. Have used it to fix rental bikes on grand Turk. Pull slivers out. Had a bucket of beer waiting in the room with no bottle opener. Cut threads and many more uses. Made it through airport security checks in Chicago, St Louis,Toronto, Ft Lauderdale. Had it on Holland America and a couple of Carnival cruises until I boarded in San Juan. The guy took it and didn't offer to return it. I know it ended up in his pocket. I was so mad. My wife was pulling me away with the one suit case they had kept.

Carnival to Hawaii they confiscated my TINY mock Gerber tool it was about 2.3 inches in size so could not do much damage However as we left the ship in Hawaii there was a table with the objects confiscated for ANYONE to claim

Mulled wine.

Yum, mulled wine! :D I like the way you think!

THEY TOOK MY WINE OPENER!! :mad:

Drove to port and had a nice "waiter's corkscrew" wine opener taken from me by shoreside security. I tried to show them the little foil cutter blade was the kind that wasn't sharp at all and even asked them to let me break the blade off, but no dice. They took it and gave me claim form (and I forgot to claim it back after we disembarked :().

WORSE.CRUISE.EVER!! jk ;)

My steward gave me one of those FANTASTIC (:rolleyes:) Royal corkscrews where you slip the plastic cover off the worm and slip the worm through a hole to make a T. Both us and the corkscrew gave up after 20 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to open any of the 4 bottles of wine I had brought onboard for our 2 cabins. Fortunately, a very friendly bartender was able to actually salvage and open the bottle with the badly mangled cork. I know he appreciated the tip I gave him but I think he enjoyed the challenge and my delight even more. After that first day, when I needed I would just bring a bottle with me to be opened at dinner in the MDR.

BEST.CRUISE.EVER!! :D

P.S. My corkscrew now goes in my checked luggage. No problems.

P.P.S. Need corkscrews? You can find huge lots of TSA confiscated corkscrews on eBay.

~ Judy

My DH found a wrench in a shopping center parking lot one night and He put it into the suit case. We stayed in FL a few days before the cruise and forgot all about it. When called to the naughty room we had no idea what for. Had no idea what we had that they were seeing. Well they took that but the funny thing about the naughty room was this was a Halloween cruise and every one was getting mad because they were taking all things for the costumes. Like dollar store plastic hand cuffs. Hooks for captain hook and all sorts of harmless things. There were at least 30 people down there.

Saw five bottles of "Listerine" pulled out of one person's suitcase when we got called to the naughty room for my industrial size bottle of shampoo. (It really was shampoo and was on sale!)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On our longer cruises, my wife takes scissors along to cut my hair (what little there is). Several times it has been confiscated. When I needed a trim she would go to the front desk and ask for it. Security brought it and said to bring it back when she was done. She cut my hair on our balcony and then returned it. Not sure how that made us safer.

Some people might try bringing handcuffs along for "recreational" use... :D But they're clearly on the prohibited items list linked below.

Steamers are explicitly on the prohibited items list here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333

See also post #7. (Adult pleasure item).

Saw five bottles of "Listerine" pulled out of one person's suitcase when we got called to the naughty room for my industrial size bottle of shampoo. (It really was shampoo and was on sale!)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I didn't know there was a limit on bottle size? I imagine that you were allowed to keep your shampoo. Correct?

Also, I didn't know that Listerine was on the Forbidden List. They were probably allowed to keep it, if indeed it was Listerine. But who brings 5 bottles of Listerine with them? Probably Cuervo Gold Tequila! lol

DH had his dive knife confiscated midway through a cruise. He'd used it in two ports with no issues but the third port it got confiscated. The funny thing was it was smaller than the steak knives in the MDR! He did get it back from security at the end of the cruise.

I had a dangerous corkskcrew too.

We had been renting a flat in Venice and were returning there after the cruise ended. Somewhere we often stayed. The one there was broken so I bought a flash lime green one and took it with me. Mean through and through.

At the scanner, I thought that they meant I had a bottle of wine in the bag which I vigorously denied. Isn't it strange how you can never get it all back in your bag?

So, sorry for the hold up in Venice and all of you when I reclaimed it in Civitavechia. The naughty table was full but didn't notice really. Being lime green, my item was pretty obvious so no hanging around.:D

Do you think your cabin steward would report it if he saw it?

I wouldn't say necessarily a cabin steward would report a clothes steamer but I wouldn't brush it off as No, (s)he wants their tip. Yes, they want the tip but they want their job more. Depending how strict their orders are about reporting items they see and know are not allowed, they will report.

They will report smoking in a cabin where it is not permitted.

Had a small extension cord removed from my room by the steward. She claimed that because it allowed multiple items to be plugged in, it was prohibited. At least, that's what she claimed.

On debark day, each item was tagged by room, and i needed the letter to claim it -- not a big table where anyone could pick up anything. There were a ton of extension cords and surge protectors, coolers, candles, coffee makers, and all the bagged-and-tagged liquor purchased at ports.

My understanding of the difference between the clothes iron and hair straightener, is that the surface that gets hot can fall over and rest in contact with bedding or carpeting, making it a fire hazard, or melting and damaging the carpet.

Edited by Sue Do-Over