New Ships vs Old Ships...your thoughts

cruzin Phillis

Interesting discussion, we at times are certainly drawn to newer ships, yet (as long as they have balconies) have some older favorites as well. Whether it is familiarization, or other reasons, we enjoy getting back on them almost as much as the rush of a new ship.

I have as much of as an interest in how ships withing a class change, The most recent example of this is the Dream class. Once the Dream came out, they added things to the next ship Magic and then again Breeze. While for the most part these ships theoretically are identical, these subtle changes can make a pretty big difference in the ship experience. My 2 cents anyway.......

I agree. We decided on the magic because of the added features. Now we will see how the breeze is in October

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Strongly prefer the newer ships. Started on Fantasy class and shorter 4 day cruises and after two we preferred Conquest and minimum of 7 day cruises.

DO and I both agree that nothing under 7 days will suffice...unless we plan a B2B.

I personally like the newer ships, DH likes the Freedom/Glory size/age ships. I find myself avoiding the older ships on all lines....don't really know why. If I have the option and the price is right I'd just rather have the newer ship.

Looking at prices now and they are all in the same price range

Certainly can't argue the days portion...... when we started (actually was a Holiday class ship - Celebration) it was 7 days then and we thought she was HUGE.

We didn't find the breeze to be crowded and any more so than any medium size ship. All the pool decks are crowded on sea days and all buffets were crowded at peak times. Otherwise there were generally normal sized crowds.

Funny the Fantasy class ship, which we consider older and smaller, are 70,000 ton, 800 feet long, lower to mid 2000 people ships.

The original cruise ships we sailed on in the 1970's were 15,000-18,000 ton, 600 foot long, 800-1100 passenger ships.

Seems cruise ships are packing the people on for the love of money.

I've only sailed Dream Class and Fantasy Class and much prefer the newer ships. I like that there are many more lunch places included, more open deck space, real balconies, more fun things like ropes course and Waterworks (yes, I know there is a sort of water area on some Fantasy ships) and the overall decor of the cabins and public spaces. We are sailing Vista in June and then doing a land trip in Summer 2017. I expect we will most likely cruise again in 2018 and will look to do either Magic or Vista. We still haven't done Southern Caribbean and want to experience that itinerary.

I'm with you. I want to explore the southern itinerary as well. Thinking about doing that next year

In general I tend to prefer older tonnage. That said I was never a fan of Fantasy class - they feel too closed in. When I am at sea I want to feel connected to the ocean. For that reason (although I have not sailed one) I like the deck plan of Dream class - more open deck, an outdoor deck on can walk around, etc...

My favorite ships were older when I first cruised on them - and they were much smaller than the "medium sized" ships of today. They gave a sense of more personal service, tended to feel less crowded and offered a more sea going ambiance often missing on today's floating resorts.

One of the things I like about Carnival today is their dedication to the older ships by upgrading services and amenities. I feel like RCCL is beginning to over size their vessels and thus close people off from the sea while Carnival, on their new builds seems to be opening the ships up to the outdoors more and more. Sort of a role reversal.

My favorite cruise lines continue to be HAL and Celebrity for the ambiance, higer dedication to personalized service and more subdued décor.

I'm looking forward to cruising Alaska on HAL

Now that my kids are old enough to cruise and enjoy it we are drawn to new ships .... heck so are we! The new ships MUST have an aqua park and water slides for the kids. Not all of the older ships do as they just have a couple pools for adults. My girls are water bugs and it's a must. I'm on the Vista next year and leave on the new Norweigan Escape next month which has the largest water park at see along with a ropes course and expanded kids clubs. I've sailed on ships that were older and even the last voyage on one from Holland America's line and they were nowhere near as fun. To us, the ship and all it has to offer is not just transportation but possibly more important than the ports now at this time.

I think the answer can also depend on the cruise line and what they are putting into their newer monstrosities besides high passenger density and endless paid venues. If you don't need bumper cars, rock climbing walls, and a NASCAR track then you might find the older ships to offer a better overall cruise experience.

Now that my kids are old enough to cruise and enjoy it we are drawn to new ships .... heck so are we! The new ships MUST have an aqua park and water slides for the kids. Not all of the older ships do as they just have a couple pools for adults. My girls are water bugs and it's a must. I'm on the Vista next year and leave on the new Norweigan Escape next month which has the largest water park at see along with a ropes course and expanded kids clubs. I've sailed on ships that were older and even the last voyage on one from Holland America's line and they were nowhere near as fun. To us, the ship and all it has to offer is not just transportation but possibly more important than the ports now at this time.

Never cruise NCL but I am interested in the escape. You must do a review with pics please!!!!

I think the answer can also depend on the cruise line and what they are putting into their newer monstrosities besides high passenger density and endless paid venues. If you don't need bumper cars, rock climbing walls, and a NASCAR track then you might find the older ships to offer a better overall cruise experience.

I get what you are saying. It seems some are pulling out all the stops which can become a distraction and take away from the relaxation of cruising. I felt kinda that way on oasis. I wanted to relax but then I felt I would be missing something. We were always on the go.

Escape might be fun but an awful lot of poor or iffy reviews.

Added a whole deck full of cabins but the ship is not appreciably larger than her away sisters. Just more people.

And I'm not sure how they measure this water park, if its the number of slides, or what, but the actual splash area is not so big.

And the 3rd level of the ropes is often closed. Slides are better than Carnivals.

And NCL seems to change things on a whim, often not passing the info to the customers clearly enough or at all.

Way to few free lunch options on Escape.

Although the reviews have steadily gotten better.

I really enjoyed the smaller ships back when I 1st started cruising 13 years ago. Now I'm not sure if I would take a free cruise onany of the smaller ships.

The majority of my Carnival cruises have been on Conquest class ships, and as long as the pricing is right, I might continue to cruise them.

My favorite Carnival ship so far has been the Magic, but I'm on the Vista for 10 days in November and maybe that will get my #1 vote after I sail her.

As for other lines, Disney Dream holds the #1 spot.

So, large ships get my vote vs. smaller.

Edited by evandbob

I really enjoyed the smaller ships back when I 1st started cruising 13 years ago. Now I'm not sure if I would take a free cruise onany of the smaller ships.

The majority of my Carnival cruises have been on Conquest class ships, and as long as the pricing is right, I might continue to cruise them.

My favorite Carnival ship so far has been the Magic, but I'm on the Vista for 10 days in November and maybe that will get my #1 vote after I sail her.

I felt the magic was a great ship. Well laid out space and tandoor was my go to!!! On our sailing back in 20q2, the taps went dry for the thirsty ale....das good beer!!

We didn't find the breeze to be crowded and any more so than any medium size ship. All the pool decks are crowded on sea days and all buffets were crowded at peak times. Otherwise there were generally normal sized crowds.

Funny the Fantasy class ship, which we consider older and smaller, are 70,000 ton, 800 feet long, lower to mid 2000 people ships.

The original cruise ships we sailed on in the 1970's were 15,000-18,000 ton, 600 foot long, 800-1100 passenger ships.

My first cruise was on a 5000 ton ship..then with Epirotiki as part of a budget American Express land/sea tour in the 80's...lol 1980 at age 20. If we get the then and now thread going, I would love to finally learn how to do pics and post. I need someone here to help..It had both fancy and not fancy things. I loved the dining..comfortable, yet formal and service in there just amazed me. We did not have to dress too much...it was nice casual.

My favorite ship so far was the Star Princess when new...it simply blew me away and would love to do more with them. The spa, the shows, the multi-entertainment and the choices. It was a TA fam cruise with a friend so we had a mini-suite too and those are just really something to me..right inbetween the balcony size on alot of ships and the suite size with fabulous dressing area, bed area, vanity area, living area and balcony...just fabulous.

I loved the old Westerdam and that service level then.

When I got on the Paradise and then Spirit I was so pleased at the bang for your buck and the Paradise felt like a newer old and fun theme to me..with some of the personal service of my first cruise...especially the dining room and my steward with the ice and twice daily service making the inside feel special.

I could not believe the Paradise 1a on Empress Deck and huge size in comparison to the inside on the Epirotiki ship...lol. The huge shower and roomy set up was amazing to me. The fake curtained window with ledge held towel animals nightly.

Fun thread OP. I like it all but probably am ready for the newer ships on all lines..but it all depends on cost, where one wants to go etc.

Edited by sjn911

I agree...I just can't wait...saw Norway on an overnight Ferry during midnight sun...any ship almost will do but would love Norway and Alaska in a Premium line..just to be spoiled in a perhaps more quiet crowd and look at the scenery...just awesome...keep the tea coming on the deck chair...heaven.

I agree...I just can't wait...saw Norway on an overnight Ferry during midnight sun...any ship almost will do but would love Norway and Alaska in a Premium line..just to be spoiled in a perhaps more quiet crowd and look at the scenery...just awesome...keep the tea coming on the deck chair...heaven.

HAL goes places in Alaska (on the land part anyway) that no other mainline cruise line go to. Spectacular comes to mind when an Alaska cruise is mentioned.

My first cruise was on a 5000 ton ship..then with Epirotiki as part of a budget American Express land/sea tour in the 80's...lol 1980 at age 20. If we get the then and now thread going, I would love to finally learn how to do pics and post. I need someone here to help..It had both fancy and not fancy things. I loved the dining..comfortable, yet formal and service in there just amazed me. We did not have to dress too much...it was nice casual.

My favorite ship so far was the Star Princess when new...it simply blew me away and would love to do more with them. The spa, the shows, the multi-entertainment and the choices. It was a TA fam cruise with a friend so we had a mini-suite too and those are just really something to me..right inbetween the balcony size on alot of ships and the suite size with fabulous dressing area, bed area, vanity area, living area and balcony...just fabulous.

When I got on the Paradise and then Spirit I was so pleased at the bang for your buck and the Paradise felt like a newer old and fun theme to me..with some of the personal service of my first cruise...especially the dining room and my steward with the ice and twice daily service making the inside feel special.

I could not believe the Paradise 1a on Empress Deck and huge size in comparison to the inside on the Epirotiki ship...lol. The huge shower and roomy set up was amazing to me. The fake curtained window with ledge held towel animals nightly.

Fun thread OP. I like it all but probably am ready for the newer ships on all lines..but it all depends on cost, where one wants to go etc.

Such fond memories. I hope to reflect on my pass cruises when sailing on Carnival Bliss... (not a real name of a ship..just saying)!!

Would love to sail on disney but too pricey.

Fun thread OP. I like it all but probably am ready for the newer ships on all lines..but it all depends on cost, where one wants to go etc.[/quote

YES!! My best cruise out of 20+ was on the old Westerdam

For us, the answer is "it depends." A balcony is a must so depending on budget, a ship that might require a suite is a deal breaker if the price is high - this would be the case on some of the older Fantasy class ships. That said, I prefer a Fantasy class to the Conquest class which are just too hard to navigate and I feel like I am in a fish bowl on the lido, IMHO. Our favorite ship to date has been Sunshine, with all the bells and whistles, followed by Legend (love the flow of this class of ships). So for us, it would seem we gravitate to the ships with good flow, and lots of little places to get away, and that "old vs new" or even size isn't a deciding factor.

I have sailed Fantasy, Spirit, and Conquest classes.

Spirit class would get my vote as favorite. It reminds me of the "old days" of cruising with outside decks that go all the way around the ship, beautiful public spaces, lots of quiet nooks to escape the "crowds" and just the right amount of people.

Fantasy class is good for a quick get away. A bit more lively crowd on these shorty cruises. And good bang for the buck.

Conquest class with 2.0 upgrades is a great cruise! The large staggered decks and outside areas are great. The evening big screen movies on an upper level can't be beat, with the sound of the sea/wake and the stars and moon overhead.

Not yet sailed the larger, newer ships - at this time, not particularly interested. Much prefer the 2000 people range to the larger number of guests.