Making a kids first cruise memorable

ahillig1

Our daughter will also be 9 when we go on her first cruise next year.

We're planning on doing a dolphin encounter, but we're not telling her that. She's going to lose her mind, being an animal-lover beyond all animal-lovers.

Her Christmas gift this year will be her first point & shoot digital camera, and we'll use the photos she takes to make a photo album for her. We're also going to get her a stuffed animal and have her take it around like a Flat Stanley and take pictures in ports. Unlike Flat Stanley, she can keep this and cuddle with it and it will remind her of wonderful adventures.

To be honest, the cruise itself will impress her the most. Staying up late, watching a movie in the pool, "fancy dessert" and visiting new countries are enough to impress her. We are generally pretty strict with her in terms of not allowing a lot of junk food, sticking to a strict bedtime, no chocolate milk, etc. On the cruise, we'll be a lot more lax about this and that will add to the excitement.

Not knowing much about deployments, is there a way to arrange a specific time when you can call or otherwise get in touch with him "live" while you're on your trip? The kids might enjoy a surprise talk with Dad while in port, if you're willing to keep it short to avoid ridiculous international roaming fees on your phone.

Definitely spoil yourself! I could never do what you do, and you deserve it! Please thank your husband for his service & sacrifice as well.

The kids (7, 9) first cruise we used birth certificates. Got them state issued ID's. They felt important and it was easier when they got their DL. 13 years later they've come in handy over the years.

That first cruise was a repo LA -Vancouver. Rules have changed, now we would have needed passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not knowing much about deployments, is there a way to arrange a specific time when you can call or otherwise get in touch with him "live" while you're on your trip? The kids might enjoy a surprise talk with Dad while in port, if you're willing to keep it short to avoid ridiculous international roaming fees on your phone.

Definitely spoil yourself! I could never do what you do, and you deserve it! Please thank your husband for his service & sacrifice as well.

About phone calls---in cabin phone calls are $1.99/minute. Need to see if it can be used overseas.

Skype has plans that include a 'local' phone number so folks at home can call as if they're calling across the street.

Edited by SadieN

I'm an overplanner and already have a list of things that I'm hoping to do that will help create great memories for my kiddos 1st cruise!

Mine are younger (10 and 6) but we're planning on doing the Seuss Breakfast and 'hopefully' the Hasbro Game Night. I think they'd both create memories that would stand out.

I second the excursion thing if you can afford it. That, unfortunately, is not within our budget this go around, but my kids have never seen a beautiful beach with crystal waters and white sand - I think that'll have quite an impact!

Have them look over the list of daily activities with you and let them each pick something they'd really like to do.

Also, I bought disposable cameras (put an address label with your name and room number on them in case they're misplaced and returned to lost and found!) for my kids so they can capture their own favorite memories when they're not with you! We got regular (with flash!) and underwater ones.

Relax and have fun! :)

No children of my own, but a retired teacher with 35 years of experience with early adolescents.

Hopefully, you will be able to find a deck that is as dark as possible that allows passenger access. (Or, if you have a veranda stateroom, this may work just as well.) Take your children to this area on a clear night and allow them to spend some time gazing at the true beauty of the night sky. Conversing with them about what they are seeing/thinking, may expand their appreciation for the Universe of which they are apart and for the magnificence of the natural world. It could be an important event in their developing lives.

Make time for some of the more family friendly things in the FunTimes. We did the family comedy shows because my girls loved them. Also went to the towel animal making class. The kids checked out the schedule for Camp Carnival Activities and the Fun times the night before to plan the next day. LOL

My kids loved the pretty fish cups they saw poolside. So we went to a bar and asked to buy the empty cups without the alcoholic beverage. Then went to Cherry on Top and bought some fish and other "sea themed" gummy candy. Put a little baggie in each cup and left them on their pillows while we were out to dinner on their last night at sea to bring home.

My plans are to relax and not be mom as they know me. This means pop and ice cream whenever they want, moms wallet being a little looser, and free roam of the ship at their leisure. They will probably each get a couple cruise related gifts at Christmas and maybe a gift card each for their own on board credits.

They are going to get stuck doing the formal night dinner, they don't know that yet but that's my one non-negotiable food related thing.

I love so many of these ideas! We're doing a cruise next year with all of my siblings and Mum and it will be a first time cruise for both of my sisters, their husbands and my nieces and nephews.

The nieces and nephews will range in age from 11 - 17 and I've been thinking about what I can do to make it special for them. Thanks for the suggestions!

We've been on one cruise, two years ago. We are going on our second this summer, although my kids don't know it yet.

When we went on our cruise, my kids were 10, 8 and 6.

My now almost 8 year old will still say, when the topic of vacation comes up, that he wants to go "visit" the ship again. (He doesn't realize that you can't just go visit the ship whenever you want.) His favorite thing of the entire vacation wasn't anything we saw in Bermuda, but the T-Rex pool on the NCL Dawn.

I get that you want to make it memorable, but even if you don't do anything at all extra, I'm guessing that it will still be special for your kids. Heck, it was pretty special for me as it was my first cruise and first trip to Bermuda as well. :)

And thank your husband for his service to our country, please.

I was thinking the same thing we just took our two boys 4 and 8 this past December. We did nothing different than when me and my wife Cruise but (judging by my boys begging to go back to camp ocean, and yelling when is the next Cruise) I am sure my 8 year old will remember swimming with a sting Ray, and my 4 year old remember burying daddy for a while.

I did not see this comment as "snarky"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It was absolutely snarky and unnecessary. Saying "We didn't have to do much of anything extra because my kids were just excited to be on the ship" is not the same as "I took them on this great big ship to tropical islands where we went snorkeling." Obviously??

OP there's nothing wrong with wanting to do more! Don't let anyone make you feel bad. Thinking back to my very first cruise, just being there truly was enough. Get the kids involved in the planning, go shopping for new clothes and swimsuits, make a fun countdown tracker of some sort, and instead of having stuff delivered from Cherry on Top, maybe take a trip there on embarkation day. Its a fun place to check out and its always more fun to pick your own stuff.

Your kids will have a blast.

My plans are to relax and not be mom as they know me. This means pop and ice cream whenever they want, moms wallet being a little looser, and free roam of the ship at their leisure. They will probably each get a couple cruise related gifts at Christmas and maybe a gift card each for their own on board credits.

They are going to get stuck doing the formal night dinner, they don't know that yet but that's my one non-negotiable food related thing.

Take a look at this thread. Lots of things on sale today - maybe longer but you never know - that you can order for an extra lil' something if you just want to have something in the cabin as a treat for your kids. I would jump on this...well I already did!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49540050#post49540050

The one thing you might find is your kids asking to eat diner with their new friends one night. Both of my kids have asked to do this on every cruise. We usually let them do it once or twice, but as you mentioned formal night is a must with a picture. You will be surprised how little you have to do extra for them to make it memorable.

Let them order room service. My now 18 yr old STILL talks about the "cool worker pirates" who brought him food when he was four. Taking my 6 and 8 yr old on their first cruise in a few weeks. They think getting to stay up late and drinking an occasional soda are the best things ever!

One thing I can tell you for sure is that the things you think will be the "memory makers" will most likely not be. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One tradition we started with our kids since they were small on both land and sea vacations is card games together. They are now 21 and 19 have quite a collection of card games we've purchased through the years to take on vacations. I'm sure there will be a couple packs in their suit cases for our vacation in May. It makes for some great family time together on our vacations.

My kids spend no money on board and still think of cruising as the vacation of "yes" -- staying up too late, endless ice cream, endless mini golf, trying weird foods and ordering multiple dishes, dessert at every meal even if they didn't eat their vegetables. :D They enjoy the food in the dining room enough to not mind the formal dinner, and I compromise on how much they must dress up.

One thing they like to bring along is a lanyard to carry their S&S card. This makes a nice stocking stuffer before the cruise. There are many unique lanyards that can be ordered online -- favorite sports teams, favorite movies, etc. They can add key chains or pins from places they visit.

Call me crazy, but isn't the fact that you are taking your kids on a cruise in the first place enough to be a memorable event for them? Personally I don't think you need to stress out about what else you need to do for them while on the cruise. They are going to enjoy just being on the ship and going places.

Edited by bakersdozen12

My DD is 10 but has been cruising for 5 years and we still do small things for her. We always get a new swimsuit and goggles and a few travel games and books. She enjoys picking out her formal night clothes as well. Carnival has some teen packs and family backs. On sLe right now, personally, I think u can find cuter stuff at Walmart but on the first cruise something that has the logo is fun. You could decorate the room through Bon voyage, we usually had acookie or fruit tray delivered on the first couple cruises she went on it she was small then.

When we are cruising with our kids or friends, I make up little gift bags for each member. Usually with a deck of playing cards, a lanyard, sports bottle, gum, candies, colorful beads, dice, the list is endless!

We are a military family, please thank your husband for his service!

I think my kid is too young to remember his first cruise, but I took lots of photos and got scrap books and stickers at a craft store, kept a bunch of trinkets, got post cards at the ports; and made a memory book that is on his bookshelf for when he is older to enjoy.

I'm taking my kids on their first cruise in just over a year and want to make it really special because it'll be about the halfway point in my husbands (their stepdads) deployment. They'll be 9 & 13 when we sail, my youngest is very excited, he cannot wait for Camp Ocean! My oldest, well, she's your typical teen with teenage angst and won't admit she's excited.

What are some things you did to make a kids first cruise amazing? I plan on having some of the Cherry On Top goodies delivered to the room so they're there when we arrive and of course they'll get the bottomless bubbles. Also, I'm thinking of letting them decorate the door and possibly some of the room too.

Just having our then 4 years old changed cruising for us. She just enjoyed the thrill of everything. But NO WAY would I ever put her in a camp. She has fun and made friends right on the lido everyday, some still to this day.

And we are still camp free.

Just having our then 4 years old changed cruising for us. She just enjoyed the thrill of everything. But NO WAY would I ever put her in a camp. She has fun and made friends right on the lido everyday, some still to this day.

And we are still camp free.

This completely depends on the kids' personalities and how much togetherness everyone wants. Some kids love Camp Carnival and some hate it. My kids spend most of the time hanging out together and meeting kids at the mini golf course or the foosball tables, but they have also enjoyed time in Camp Carnival. IMO, it's best to be flexible and do what works for your family. You don't have to put them in camp for the entire day. You can pick up the schedules and choose activities that look fun.

Wow! I wonder sometimes if people realize how judgey they can sound on these threads. If OP wants to do something extra special for her kids good for her! We are Disney freaks, my kids have been many times and I still try to throw in one thing extra thing each time. They are very well aware of how lucky they are to be able to travel and we do play with them and spend lots of time with them on vacation AND at home.

If they want to go to the kids club on the ship great, if not that's great too.

If they choose to go are we bad parents because we dumped them in "camp"? Nope - we gave them a chance to be independent, meet new friends and experience new things. If they choose to hang out with us are we bad parents because we are overprotective, sheltering helicopter types? Nope - we are hanging out with our kids while they want to hang out with us - those days are short trust me I know (my kids are 24,18,18,8,6).

I appreciate the replies that were actually helpful to the OP. Our extra special thing this trip will be a catamaran snorkeling with the turtles trip in Barbados. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This completely depends on the kids' personalities and how much togetherness everyone wants. Some kids love Camp Carnival and some hate it. My kids spend most of the time hanging out together and meeting kids at the mini golf course or the foosball tables, but they have also enjoyed time in Camp Carnival. IMO, it's best to be flexible and do what works for your family. You don't have to put them in camp for the entire day. You can pick up the schedules and choose activities that look fun.

Totally agree. My kids sailed 10 times between the ages of DD(4)-DS(7) and DD(16)-DS(19). They tried the kids clubs on DCL, NCL, and CCL but quite honestly they did not like them. I can probably count on one hand the number of times they ended up going to the clubs over those 10 years and they never went back on the same ship if they tried it. Some they didn't even want to bother trying. Some kids love it. That's ok. Ours hated it. That's ok too. Our kids preferred to hang out with us. Which was ok for me because our cruises were vacations for us to reconnect with each other and take a break from work, sports, and dance.

We enjoyed that time we had together. We did lots of things together as a family, such as trivia, bingo, sun bathing, Ping-Pong, chess, mini-golf, basketball, soccer, excursions, shows, card games, dancing, and shows. Our last 3 cruises were without the kids because I just couldn't get a time between High School, College, Work (all 4 us now), and Dance that worked for all of us. I am so looking forward to our upcoming May cruise as it may be the last time before DS(21) moves out and on with his life after graduating from college in April.

Everyone needs to do what is right for their family. We don't all have the same dynamics and personalities in our family. If your kids love the clubs then let them enjoy them. If your family wants that time to reconnect as a family then let them. If you want something in between then do it. If you want to purchase a few things or do something to make it more memorable for them then do it. If it makes Mom happy then who cares what anyone else thinks. I've order things from Bon Voyage for the kids. I've bought special things ahead of time like beads for DD to make her own lanyard and sports team lanyards for DH, puzzle books, and ITunes money. In their younger years I had them make scrap books (they sat on their tables at their high school graduation parties). The kids may not remember and/or appreciate everything...but you probably will (I did). Most of all enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We've done 10 cruises without our kids and 3 with, we have another b2b planned for next spring.

My kids are now 11 & 14 but started cruising when they were younger (8 & 11)

I will say that they will love it beyond measure.

My son is older and I thought for SURE he wouldn't adore it as much as my daughter would.

But man alive I was SOOO WRONG.

They got along better then they ever have.

They both hated the kids camp (I assumed they would love it and we would be stuck dragging them out kicking and screaming)

All they wanted to do was stick with us. We went to a beach every port, just got in a cab and went. They didn't pester for fancy stuff. They just wanted a cold drink, a lounger and an umbrella. They build sand castles together, looked for shells together and played in the water together.

Their favourite thing was dinners. They loved having fancy food and being served and spoiled in the dining room.

I always insisted that they both write in a journal every night.

This was easy for my girl, my son however fought it tooth and nail till the first cruise was over and we were home.

Where we went, what they did, what they loved, what they ate at supper, what we did on the ship.

They look back on that ALL the time now.

We also sprung for the movies they sell of the cruise itself and made sure we did formal pictures each cruise.

Now its just to see how little they were when they started.

We haven't done a Carnival Cruise yet. Only RCCL

I hope you guys have a WONDERFUL time away.

But prepare for a bit of a problem once its over.

If your kids are anything like mine, they will begin the countdown for the next cruise when you hit the ground on the day you disembark.

Also, I can't even fathom taking a cruise with just my husband any longer.

The kids would be so heartbroken that I couldn't ever do it.

Now we go to Vegas for some "together alone" time but cruising is strictly a "whole family" vacation!

Safe Travels!!!!

Chass