Early Flight of of San Juan

bookitdanno

I would not do it but that is me. Don't want to be stressed getting off the ship. For one thing, if you check bags you won't get them until 8. Even with carryoff it will be at least 7 before you can get off

We have a noon flight booked. About the earliest I would do is 11:30 am.

Normally we are at the airport and checked in by shortly after nine or 9:30 (we get priority as we are D+) but you just never know what might happen. I don't like to cut it that close.

Made a 10:30 with time to spare. That being said, we had no checked baggage had pre-printed boarding passes and walked off the ship as soon as we docked. Used a taxi, they are lined up at the pier.

9:45 leaves no wiggle room, not sure I'd try it.:rolleyes:

Edited by monicajay

You're counting on a lot of things going right - and if there's a delay in the ship getting clearance, or if Security is backed up (as it was when we flew out of SJU in December), then you may miss your flight. And flights are full these days so could be you'd spend a lot of time in the airport waiting for seats to open up.

I personally wouldn't make my last day of vacation filled with anxiety about catching a flight. If we ever get to the airport early we'll ask about getting on an earlier flight. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You're counting on a lot of things going right - and if there's a delay in the ship getting clearance, or if Security is backed up (as it was when we flew out of SJU in December), then you may miss your flight. And flights are full these days so could be you'd spend a lot of time in the airport waiting for seats to open up.

I personally wouldn't make my last day of vacation filled with anxiety about catching a flight. If we ever get to the airport early we'll ask about getting on an earlier flight. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Agree with most of above.

We have made 930 and 845 flights in the last 2 years (the 845 was actually us moving up to earlier flight at the airport).

Both times we were the very first off the ship, took regular taxi to airport (actually both times shared cab with another couple).

We are pre-check, so that saved some time and had checked in day before with only carry on bags.

I would say that normally you will be fine, but that is easy for me to say...YMMV!

Assuming that Summit docks without delays, you should have no problem making a 9:45 flight. Take advantage of the express walk off. On our last Summit cruise out of San Juan, we were off the ship at 7:20, & at our flight's gate at 8:05. The year prior, we were off at 7:30, & at the gate at 8:25. The year before was similar. The airport is pretty much empty at that time of day, as is the cruise terminal. The crowds start at around mid morning; then it's a zoo. Please make sure that you check your bags with their agricultural screening first thing before you even go through security.

Summit is a great ship, & sailing out of San Juan is a breeze! Have fun!

Edited by richsea

We have a chance to book a 9:45 am flight out of San Juan this November.

Summit due to arrive at 6:00 am.

Will we make the flight?

Considerable savings to later flight.

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Celebrity Cruises recommends the earliest flight departure as 11:00am from SJU.

We do this cruise out of San Juan every January and would NEVER try a flight out of there that early! Even if everything goes well, the airport lines can be very long for check-in and security ( and as mentioned, the agricultural nonsense stop!)....we always opt for a flight no earlier than 11:30 AM. Don't ruin a great vacation with the angst of trying an earlier flight. best of luck.:):)

We have a chance to book a 9:45 am flight out of San Juan this November.

Summit due to arrive at 6:00 am.

Will we make the flight?

Considerable savings to later flight.

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Just don't use Celebrity's Choice Air. They will jack you around and move your flight back to 11AM. We made the mistake of using them in December. It happened to us. Never again.

On our December B2B we were off the ship at 7:10 and at the airport for about 7:30. We would have had plenty of time to make the 9:45. It was actually across the hall from our waiting area.

To answer the question, yes most definitely. You're probably just coming over from St. Thomas which is only 60 miles away.

Yes, you MAY be able to make it, but it is not worth ruining your vacation. We have always planned for a flight out of San Juan around 11:00 earliest. Have arrived with plenty of time to spare, but things do happen. Do no let this worry you until the last day and then have a chance of spoiling your vacation if things do not go well.

A couple of additional thoughts.....

How many times will your airline change depature times?

Security will be increased in the near future due to the Brussles bombings today but any event can make getting through the chaos of security in that particular airport challenging.

Personally, having departed SJU at least 8-10 times, I would never book a 9:45 flight. If by any chance they reinstate the 2 hr check in you risk boarding especially if you check luggage.

Thanks for all the input.

The saving is about $300, which almost doubles what we would pay early.

As far as other ships disembarking...NONE that day.

Adventure will be leaving for first sailing after dry dock, but not disembarking.

Again, thanks.

Hi again, and thanks for all the help.

We have decided to book the 9:45 flight, here is our reasoning.

We will self disembark to get off the ship as early as possible.

The ship will be coming from St Thomas, 80 miles away. Hard to believe we could be late.

We will be, at this point, the only ship arriving that day, so getting clearance should be easy.

Also, that means customs should be fast.

And the airport should not be crowded.

We will take the risk to: save the money; and get home at 3:00 pm rather than 1:00 am.

Thanks for all the helpful and well meaning advice (even if we didn’t take it ;)).

You are great folks.

Also don't forget that at SJU that checked bags have to go thru the agriculture check before you can check the bags and go thru security so that adds additional time as well.

Would someone please explain what this agriculture check is? Is it something new? I have cruised out of San Juan several times before but don't recall having to do this.

Thank you.

Would someone please explain what this agriculture check is? Is it something new? I have cruised out of San Juan several times before but don't recall having to do this.

Thank you.

You always have to go through the Ag Line there. When you first get to the airport it is the first screening you go through. they put a tag on your bags to show it went through and then you go check you bags for your flight. We always get a porter as it makes it so easy, he puts it on the belt, takes it back off and then takes your luggage to where you will check it in at the airline - for us that is always Southwest

The ship will be coming from St Thomas, 80 miles away. Hard to believe we could be late.

We will be, at this point, the only ship arriving that day, so getting clearance should be easy.

We will take the risk to: save the money; and get home at 3:00 pm rather than 1:00 am.

Thanks for all the helpful and well meaning advice (even if we didn’t take it ;)).

You are great folks.

As in everythin in life, its a gamble, but if were you, I would have made the same choice. Just make sure you sign up for express departure, & are able to handle your lugggage by yourself, & you should be OK. Have a great cruise!

You are great folks.

At customs, unless there are very short lines, tip a porter to take your bags. They have a special, fast customs line. Worth it!