Princess Transfers from LAX

snoodqueen

We will be arriving at LAX very early and have hours to kill before boarding the ship in San Pedro. There are six of us and I know we could get two cabs or a shuttle for less than what it would cost us for Princess transfers. We had hoped to drop our bags at the pier and then stroll around for awhile since the pier won't open before 1 p.m. but they aren't accepting luggage before then. There will be a Coast Guard inspection of the ship and that delays everything. Does Princess offer a luggage only drop/transfer option at LAX for free or a fee without purchasing a transfer for the people?

Thanks for any info!

We will be arriving at LAX very early and have hours to kill before boarding the ship in San Pedro. There are six of us and I know we could get two cabs or a shuttle for less than what it would cost us for Princess transfers. We had hoped to drop our bags at the pier and then stroll around for awhile since the pier won't open before 1 p.m. but they aren't accepting luggage before then. There will be a Coast Guard inspection of the ship and that delays everything. Does Princess offer a luggage only drop/transfer option at LAX for free or a fee without purchasing a transfer for the people?

Thanks for any info!

You can always drop off your luggage with the porters at the pier ... starting around 9:30 or 10:00 AM. You don't have to have the Princess transfers to do so but they won't pick up your luggage at LAX and take it to the pier for you. I think this is the question you are asking, right??

There is really nothing to do right at the pier except for a warship turned museum. Looks kind of interesting. I suppose one person could watch the luggage while the others did the tour if they weren't checking it in at that time.

I haven't had a problem dropping luggage with the porters at San Pedro, even when they've delayed boarding for various reasons.

I, too, have wished for the reverse "EZ-CHECK" product where I don't have to touch my bags once I hand them over at my originating airport.

We cannot drop luggage off early because the pier will be closed - as per Princess - longshoreman are not taking anything before 12:30/1:00 p.m. I spoke to Princess this morning and they said normally we could drop it off early but not this time. I've sailed in and out of San Pedro many times and know there isn't much around there. I find it odd that they won't take our luggage and put it into the big cribs while waiting to load it onto the ship. We were on a ship that came into FLL from Europe and though the terminal was closed during the Coast Guard inspection, arriving passengers were still able to drop off their bags. Different ports have different rules I guess.

We cannot drop luggage off early because the pier will be closed - as per Princess - longshoreman are not taking anything before 12:30/1:00 p.m. I spoke to Princess this morning and they said normally we could drop it off early but not this time. I've sailed in and out of San Pedro many times and know there isn't much around there. I find it odd that they won't take our luggage and put it into the big cribs while waiting to load it onto the ship. We were on a ship that came into FLL from Europe and though the terminal was closed during the Coast Guard inspection, arriving passengers were still able to drop off their bags. Different ports have different rules I guess.

Why?

Sometimes the Princess LAX transfers go to a hotel to wait it out. They bus you there and luggage stays on the bus then you proceed to San Pedro by bus when"they" let you.(this was during "normal embarkation"not delayed 1pm)

Happened to friends of ours when we embarked from San Pedro previously.

We had independent shuttle from a home in Long Beach area,so we had no problem.

Julie

Colo I think the issue is the star princess is arriving from

South America and they are doing a big inspection on her that is what I have heard anyways.

Oy! Having sailed the Star from Santiago to San Francisco with disembarkation a disaster, I can attest that every single passenger disembarking will be inspected (particularly those doing self-disembarkation will have dogs checking every carry-on and luggage) and everything delayed by hours. Hundreds were stuck standing on packed stairways and hallways waiting to disembark, most of us missing our flights. I missed my 12:30pm flight but was fortunate to rebook on a flight leaving an hour later. People embarking were left standing/waiting until almost mid-afternoon to board. Worst disembarkation I've ever experienced.

An idea.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach will hold luggage. The Aquarium can be seen in as little as two hours or all day. There are restaurants nearby. Bad part is that you'll need transport to Long Beach, then to San Pedro.

aquariumofpacific.org.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oy! Having sailed the Star from Santiago to San Francisco with disembarkation a disaster, I can attest that every single passenger disembarking will be inspected (particularly those doing self-disembarkation will have dogs checking every carry-on and luggage) and everything delayed by hours. Hundreds were stuck standing on packed stairways and hallways waiting to disembark, most of us missing our flights. I missed my 12:30pm flight but was fortunate to rebook on a flight leaving an hour later. People embarking were left standing/waiting until almost mid-afternoon to board. Worst disembarkation I've ever experienced.

Pam, you are the only one who gets what I am saying - you've gone through it as well. Normal embark is one thing, embark when a ship arrives from another country is a different matter. I do not want to be standing outside the terminal with my luggage for hours but the others I am traveling with do not want to go to the Aquarium, Queen Mary, hotels or anywhere else. They are inexperienced cruisers and believe we must rush to the pier at 10 a.m. regardless of what Princess tells us. It certainly isn't Princess's fault - they have rules to abide by and the Coast Guard calls the shots. Thanks for all the responses from everyone.

It's usually cruises sailing from South America. Not necessarily from just another country.

You can drop your bags off at the pier at 10am if that's what everyone wants to do but there's not much within walking distance other than the USS Iowa which has tours. On Saturdays and Sundays from Noon-6pm, the San Pedro trolley leaves from the port entrance and takes you to the Ports O'Call area at the end of the channel. You can always take a cab. There are shops, restaurants and a number of activities (I've taken a tall ship cruise from there.) Instead of standing around waiting, it's a lovely and fun area to go and hang out. http://www.sanpedrobid.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2015-Trolley-Schedule.pdf

Pam, you are the only one who gets what I am saying - you've gone through it as well. Normal embark is one thing, embark when a ship arrives from another country is a different matter. I do not want to be standing outside the terminal with my luggage for hours but the others I am traveling with do not want to go to the Aquarium, Queen Mary, hotels or anywhere else. They are inexperienced cruisers and believe we must rush to the pier at 10 a.m. regardless of what Princess tells us. It certainly isn't Princess's fault - they have rules to abide by and the Coast Guard calls the shots. Thanks for all the responses from everyone.

What Pam said above is correct. The places you mentioned you will have to take a cab to. IF YOU GET A PRINCESS TRANSFER, you will not be in charge of yourselves, nor will you be going to the terminal at 10:00 am. You have no say in this with a Princess Transfer. If your friends insist on getting to the terminal at 10:00 am then take the Super Shuttle or a cab. Take a good book or a lap top with you because you will be sitting around for a few hours doing nothing. There's no food available at the terminal. There's restaurants down at the sea village. It's difficult traveling with inexperienced people - PITA. Good luck.

.................. If your friends insist on getting to the terminal at 10:00 am then take the Super Shuttle or a cab. Take a good book or a lap top with you because you will be sitting around for a few hours doing nothing. There's no food available at the terminal. There's restaurants down at the sea village. It's difficult traveling with inexperienced people - PITA. Good luck.

Adding on--- you'll be waiting outside, in the open. Extremely limited covered areas outside the terminal.

Edited by SadieN

It seems I am outnumbered and we will be heading to the pier shortly after we land. I've been there many times and know there is nothing to do. I will definitely have my book, tablet, water and munchies to while away the hours. Weather outlook is for sunshine with clouds so let's hope no one gets sunstroke!

Next time I sail alone!

Well, if you do have to hang around San Pedro and can't get into the pier, I can recommend a great streudel place, great place to have coffee or a snack, or a meal, Mishi's Streudel. Only problem is the luggage would have to be dropped off first and that doesn't sound like an option. Maybe you could rent a van or something at LAX and drive all 8 people to San Pedro and then go have a nice breakfast and then drop off rental car in San Pedro and then have rental car company shuttle you to the pier?

Sounds like a hassle though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In order to fill some time after an early arrival, is it possible to go to a Priority Lounge after you arrive or are they located in an area where they can't be reached from the arrival area?

That was my first recommendation - love those airline lounges - but no one wanted to pay the money except me. They are really determined to hurry up and wait at the pier!

To get to the lounge where there's seating' date=' you need to check in and then go through the security line.[/quote']

We'll be exiting the plane just a few gates from the lounge so no need to go back through security. Unfortunately, not an option for this crowd!

Well, if you do have to hang around San Pedro and can't get into the pier, I can recommend a great streudel place, great place to have coffee or a snack, or a meal, Mishi's Streudel. Only problem is the luggage would have to be dropped off first and that doesn't sound like an option. Maybe you could rent a van or something at LAX and drive all 8 people to San Pedro and then go have a nice breakfast and then drop off rental car in San Pedro and then have rental car company shuttle you to the pier?

Sounds like a hassle though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up about Mishi's Streudel - great idea if we are able to drop the bags. Only car rental company in San Pedro is Enterprise - any other company charges a huge drop off fee since they don't have offices there. We used Enterprise before when it was just two of us and loved it. Two's company but eight is way too many to be squished in a van with in LA traffic. We'll just stick with the two cabs to San Pedro and sit on our suitcases at the pier plan. At least we'll be able to see the ship even if we can't board yet.

Thanks for the heads up about Mishi's Streudel - great idea if we are able to drop the bags. Only car rental company in San Pedro is Enterprise - any other company charges a huge drop off fee since they don't have offices there. We used Enterprise before when it was just two of us and loved it. Two's company but eight is way too many to be squished in a van with in LA traffic. We'll just stick with the two cabs to San Pedro and sit on our suitcases at the pier plan. At least we'll be able to see the ship even if we can't board yet.

Just a FYI as far as transportation for 8:

I have used prime time shuttles private sedan service, GOSEDAN.

(Enter Promo Code: SERVICE at checkout for $10 off your first ride.)