Thoughts About the Falmouth Jamaica Port Stop...Should I Bother?

cjdixon4

I walked to Burwood Beach (way too far for most people). Everybody was friendly. Got offered weed a couple of times. "Just say no".

Walked through town. It is not a huge metropolis. Has a couple of seedy blocks. Elsewhere, kids and families - unthreatening. Didn't get mugged or killed. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.

I am just off Freedom and a stop in Falmouth. We arranged a tour for our family of 9 with Courtney Taylor. We went to the Blue Hole based on recommendations but were disappointed. Falmouth is a long drive to Blue Hole or the falls. It was VERY crowded and we had to wait in long lines climbing the falls and wait again to jump in the water. $15 + tip and 3 rushed jumps in the water! The tour was to include Blue Hole, shopping, lunch, and a beach. We only had time for the Blue Hole and a very rushed lunch before we needed to head back to the ship because it took so long to travel from Falmouth.

Do you know how to contact the Falmouth Heritage Walking tour? I tried the "contact us" button on their website and it didn't do anything. It is cheaper to do it through them then the ship. Did you pay when you booked or when you did the tour?

We emailed with them, but it was over 2 years ago. I believe that I did call them at one point, if there is a phone number on the web site. I don't know that we heard back from them immediately, it is a small operations that at the time was run by one woman. We paid when we met the guides (they were inside the secure area outside of the ship), I recall paying in cash but can't remember if that was a requirement of a choice. Since we combined the two tours they gave us something of a discount compared to if we had booked them both separately. We also tipped the young women tour guides, I can't recall whether we tipped the owner (she did our Jewish cemetery tour portion). I know that we were the only four but I think that is because no one else had signed up for the tour. Hope that is helpful, but I know that things could have changed with the passage of time.

• 2 weeks later...
We emailed with them, but it was over 2 years ago. I believe that I did call them at one point, if there is a phone number on the web site. I don't know that we heard back from them immediately, it is a small operations that at the time was run by one woman. We paid when we met the guides (they were inside the secure area outside of the ship), I recall paying in cash but can't remember if that was a requirement of a choice. Since we combined the two tours they gave us something of a discount compared to if we had booked them both separately. We also tipped the young women tour guides, I can't recall whether we tipped the owner (she did our Jewish cemetery tour portion). I know that we were the only four but I think that is because no one else had signed up for the tour. Hope that is helpful, but I know that things could have changed with the passage of time.

We signed up via their website and because one year our ship missed the port, we emailed back and forth a few times. We paid online. I find it interesting that people take cruises to places they've never been and want it to be like everywhere they already know. If you don't want a "different" experience either stay on the ship or go to Miami Beach (oh wait that may be too Hispanic for some, *grin*). The Falls may be too physical for many but rafting is easy and lazy or take a local culture tour. If nothing else, you'll appreciate what we take for granted in the US

We signed up via their website and because one year our ship missed the port, we emailed back and forth a few times. We paid online. I find it interesting that people take cruises to places they've never been and want it to be like everywhere they already know. If you don't want a "different" experience either stay on the ship or go to Miami Beach (oh wait that may be too Hispanic for some, *grin*). The Falls may be too physical for many but rafting is easy and lazy or take a local culture tour. If nothing else, you'll appreciate what we take for granted in the US

Standing ... starting slow clap ... :)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

• 8 months later...

I find it interesting that people take cruises to places they've never been and want it to be like everywhere they already know. If you don't want a "different" experience either stay on the ship or go to Miami Beach (oh wait that may be too Hispanic for some, *grin*).

Standing ... starting slow clap ...

I respect this perspective and hear it often on the forums whenever people express concern or fear about certain ports. The whole traveler vs tourist mindset - embracing different cultures and experiences and getting out of the "bubble". I get it - and admire it.

But frankly, I empathize fully with those wishing to minimize environments that may bother or upset them during an expensive vacation - and implying that it's because they fear something "different" unfairly marginalizes their concerns. Alaska is different. Antarctica is different. Europe is different. Heck any city or town across the U.S. from where one lives is different - and no area is 100% safe.

I'll bet many who choose not to leave the ship in Falmouth, Nassau or another controversial port are the same people who have likely visited many other adventurous places and cultures - and relished every moment. But certain situations make them unhappy, anxious or uncomfortable - and there should never be an ounce of guilt felt in avoiding that on one's vacation.

I selfishly admit that when I see abject poverty everywhere, am approached by aggressive vendors who clearly need the money so badly and to whom I must constantly say "no" to and stroll through very poor areas where families are struggling to survive, I feel very depressed for the rest of the day. This would be true in Falmouth, in Calcutta or in any other very poor area. It breaks my heart to see it.

Is it "good for me" to be educated on these trips and see how others live so I can appreciate how good I have it? Maybe, but I don't go on vacation to learn those important lessons. I already know and appreciate that from the horrors my parents endured, from reading the paper and staying current on world events. I already try to do good by donating generously to charities. I don't want to feel sad or uncomfortable on vacation.

Do I wish I wasn't so sensitive? Yup. But it's how I'm wired - and I think other people are wired that way as well. So maybe as you embrace "different" adventures on the streets of Falmouth, I embrace them with penguins at the edge of the globe. We're both adventurous - in different ways.

Edited by Flafun888

Flafun888, I AGREE with you completely. I have been cruising about 26 years, doing about 5 different cruise lines, and going to many Caribbean island/ports. Is is "easy" for people to be "nit picky," but LOOK for the best in where you go, or visit, and it may "surprise" a person. I always go to any port/island "thinking" positive of what I am going to see or do, and have always found something good there.

We just were there on Anthem. Our friends took a $20 tour that was offered when you walked off the ship. We were going to do that, they said it was terrible and good we didn't do it and saved the money.

We just walked around the shopping area inside the port. I would never pick a cruise that had a) Falmouth or b) Roatan on its itinerary ever again.

When you get off in Roatan, Honduras, there is a big sign for you to leave any valuables, jewelry, things you don't want stolen back on the ship locked in the safe. Nice welcome.

My DH and I didn't even want to buy anything there. The vendors were very aggressive as where the private taxi/tour operators. Such a waste of a stop.

Hmm, I've been to Roatan twice this year and had two wonderful visits. I don't recall the valuables sign, but there is some sense to being careful.

Maya Key is a wonderful beach, animal rescue private island that is visible from the port and a 5 minute boat ride. Great day, awesome lunch, pool, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest or book if I wanted a beach day.

I also had an amazing jungle zip line excursion there just last month. Great guide on the bus and extremely fun and safety aware guides for the zip lining. Bus guide gave some interesting facts about the people of Roatan: Average monthly income $350/mo, builidng a house is close to $10,000 and life expectancy is 105yrs. Fresh natural food and herbal meds keep them healthy.

I shopped directly in the port and across the street in the flea market building, no problems for me or my family. Actually returned to one of the shops on the 2nd level on my second trip. They have great deals on tshirts and great service to help me find what I wanted and not shy to point out their deals, lots of under $10 options. I went back to another shop on the ground level, more expensive shirts and couldn't get them to negotiate on a price, so anything but aggressive there. I like their merchandise so I'd go back if I wanted a higher quality shirt. I felt pretty comfortable in this port. Made my purchases with a Visa card, except for an ice cold soda in one of the lower level stores.

Edited by Nola26

• 2 months later...
Hi, we had a fabulous tour rafting down the Martha Brae river, nice and tranquil and some lovely scenery well worth the money,

I've also done the bamboo rafts. Enjoy a beverage and a slow relaxing ride. Drivers can be talkative, you can get a lot if history and info from them.

We just were there on Anthem. Our friends took a $20 tour that was offered when you walked off the ship. We were going to do that, they said it was terrible and good we didn't do it and saved the money.

We just walked around the shopping area inside the port. I would never pick a cruise that had a) Falmouth or b) Roatan on its itinerary ever again.

When you get off in Roatan, Honduras, there is a big sign for you to leave any valuables, jewelry, things you don't want stolen back on the ship locked in the safe. Nice welcome.

My DH and I didn't even want to buy anything there. The vendors were very aggressive as where the private taxi/tour operators. Such a waste of a stop.

I have been to Belize, Roatan (twice), Nassau, and headed to Falmouth in a year and a half. These boards are littered with "OMG" experiences. Taking a $20 tour from some operator outside the port area probably was not worth the experience. If you read these boards you can find excellent tour operators who not only are cheaper than the cruise excursions but also make their living giving people excellent service. I have been to Jamaica on a land based vacation and loved the area. Yes, I got hit up daily for ganja and cocaine. They were polite when I said no thank you with a smile and moved along. You can't expect to have a Disneyland experience in these countries. In Roatan, a lady refused to get on the bus (an older school bus) because it had no seat belts. We got hung up with her for about 15 minutes listening to her tirade. :o

I have been to Belize, Roatan (twice), Nassau, and headed to Falmouth in a year and a half. These boards are littered with "OMG" experiences. Taking a $20 tour from some operator outside the port area probably was not worth the experience. If you read these boards you can find excellent tour operators who not only are cheaper than the cruise excursions but also make their living giving people excellent service. I have been to Jamaica on a land based vacation and loved the area. Yes, I got hit up daily for ganja and cocaine. They were polite when I said no thank you with a smile and moved along. You can't expect to have a Disneyland experience in these countries. In Roatan, a lady refused to get on the bus (an older school bus) because it had no seat belts. We got hung up with her for about 15 minutes listening to her tirade. :o

Agree. I always do extensisve research and always book with private vendor tours, the only one I booked that turned out to be a huge dud was a snorkel tour in Belize. We had great times in Roatan with Victor Bodden tours and in Jamaica with Wentworth Pearson. http://www.wentworthtours.com/ In Nassau, I found a local who provided bird watching tours. DW loves birds and this was a huge "hit" for DW, she loved it. Initially several of these forums said how dangerous these places were and to never leave the ship. Heck I live across the river from STL one of the highest murder per capita rates in the US so it is all about situational awareness and using common sense. I would never go off by ourselves but did feel very safe with the tour operators. Using multiple web review sites, I'm able to discern whether we will be safe or not.

We have been to Falmouth twice and have had two very different but very enjoyable experiences. First time we did Dunns River Falls and river tubing, yes the Falls is crowded and touristy but it is an experience and we were glad we did it. Second year we booked walking tours on our own through Falmouth Heritage Walking tours, we did a combination of the Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour and the Jewish Cemetery Tour and had a fabulous experience. It was just our family of four and our two tour guides (one was training) were two local young women who talked to us and our teens about growing up in Jamaica, one of their desires to leave for education, etc. Towards the end of the tour we visited a woman in her home, she was an American who married a Jamaican musician and had lived in Jamaica for many years, having raised her children there (as adults they had moved to the states)--so interesting. We also broke midway to meet with the owner of the company who was at that time just starting the Jewish cemetery tour, which we found fascinating, because who knew there even was a Jewish cemetery in Falmouth Jamaica? It would have been a shame to stay on the ship and miss these great experiences--particularly since the walking tour, being right off the ship, still allowed plenty of time to be on the ship before the bulk of the passengers returned. Would highly recommend the tour if you have an interest in daily Jamaican life or history, they did a great job and it was very reasonably priced.

We will be in Falmouth for a third time on an upcoming cruise, debated staying on the ship but decided that would be a waste and to try a beach club excursion. We have never met anyone but warm and welcoming people so we look forward to another visit.

We want to do a Dunn's River Falls excursion, but not with Royal Caribbean. Any suggestions?

We love Jamaica, but at this port we normally will just have a few drinks at Margaretville.

We are leaning in that direction. We have been to the Ocho Rios port many times and we had our favorites there. We don't like the long (more than 15-20 min is long to us on those roads with the crazy taxi drivers :)) rides so we prefer to stay fairly near the ship. When last in Falmouth we got a taxi down to Mobay and just kicked around. It rained on us so we spent a lot of time in Margaritaville there. I can honestly say that in all our visits we have never felt unsafe although some of the locals can be very aggressive and persistent. Most are friendly and kind if you show some respect. We are not really into the tour thing so much any more and just like to relax. Staying on the ship is an option, but with the Margaritaville right beside the ship we will probably wind up there hanging at the pool. It used to be cheaper to stay on the ship and have drinks but not so much any more so the larger pool area and change of scenery is a nice option. We always try to buy something from the locals and we enjoy keeping those for the memories they bring back. We can do that in the port compound from the vendors there if we are not up for a longer walk.

We have been to the port once before. We took a ship excursion call " The Heart of Jamaica ". It consisted of a trip to a working sugar cane plantation, papaya farm. We went to a spot at the farm and we enjoyed a meal of jerk chicken and a rum tasting. It was very interesting and fun. We loved it. We loved talking to the people, they were very kind and helpful.

On our trip in a few weeks we have booked a walking culinary tour of Falmouth. It gets very high praise from TripAdvisor.

Not everyone appreciates tours like these, but we love to learn about the people and cultures of the places we visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Falmouth a few years ago. One of our tablemates was dead-set on "my god, don't step off the ship and if you do stay with a large tour." Just from spite I got off the ship and walked to Burwood Beach and back. There were a few people offering weed but that was it - everybody else was friendly (even the weed-sellers weren't pushy). I went far, far off the beaten path. I'm a male who's used to the city so there was that, but nobody tried to rob me or shoot me with an AK-47. Falmouth is a small town - like Mayberry except everybody is dark. I walked from one end to the other and nobody put me in a pot and ate me. For some people I'm sure that fails to meet expectations. Sorry.

Just returned from Falmouth - WONDERFUL time! I had read so many bad reviews and kept hearing how many people stay on the ship - I was really debating doing the same.

But I knew I couldn't possibly visit a port and not at least see it once for myself. And I'm so happy we ventured out despite all the negative reviews.

We booked a terrific independent excursion to Blue Hole and Scotchies. The port I was least enthused about visiting turned out to be our favorite one and best memory of the entire cruise. :cool:

We loved Jamaica and want to go back!

"I walked from one end to the other and nobody put me in a pot and ate me."

:'):'):') Lard Greystoke, you win for best quote on this thread!

Agree...too funny! :'). You see similar comments on other port boards where there may be pushy vendors just outside the cruise port complex (or even inside) and once you're 10 feet beyond their "territory" you're not hassled at all. It's a matter of being alert and aware.

I did the tour to Dunns River Falls my first visit to Falmouth. It's an iconic stop and really a great excursion (except for the way too aggressive vendors at the end). But this coming trip I will stay in port.

I saw all I needed to see of the area outside the gates when we were on the tour bus. I am a big city person and generally have no trouble with rougher neighborhoods in or out of the US. That was one I was personally not going to do by myself.

We want to do Dunn's River Falls and then go straight back to the ship. Did you use a local tour operator?

Just returned from Falmouth - WONDERFUL time! I had read so many bad reviews and kept hearing how many people stay on the ship - I was really debating doing the same.

But I knew I couldn't possibly visit a port and not at least see it once for myself. And I'm so happy we ventured out despite all the negative reviews.

We booked a terrific independent excursion to Blue Hole and Scotchies. The port I was least enthused about visiting turned out to be our favorite one and best memory of the entire cruise. :cool:

How did you get the independent excursion? We're going in a few weeks and want to go to Dunn's River Falls. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Who did you use for your tour to the Blue Hole & Scotchies?

• 2 weeks later...