Drink tip question

If tip is already included for drinks, what do you put on the tip line of the bill if you don't want to add more to the tip? Going on the Freedom in May and can't remember what I did last time.

Last year on the Radiance I gave $1 per drink, but that was before they added the 18% gratuity onto the drink package price. I'm tempted to not give them anything since they're getting them "automatically" now, same for the MDR servers and room attendant!!!

Edited by IndyKid

If tip is already included for drinks, what do you put on the tip line of the bill if you don't want to add more to the tip? Going on the Freedom in May and can't remember what I did last time.

If you're not including any additional tip, just put either a zero or a line through on the tip line. I chose to tip over and above, which is absolutely not required, but I always lined through and tipped in cash. Either way, just line out and you're good to go.

Put a line though the tip space and write in the total amount.

A few years ago, at a restaurant, my husband did NOT put a line or a zero in the tip line. He also did not bring the total down. We left a CASH tip.

Lo and behold..that server added their own tip and brought down the total.

Yes...we went back to the restaurant when our statement came in and he was fired. Who knows how many times he had done this to someone else. ALWAYS bring the total down.

I think 18% is AMPLE for opening a beer or making a simple mixed drink.....at most land bars, we tip $1 PER ORDER, if I'm going to the bar and getting my own drink. If there is a waiter doing table service, we tip 20% of the total cost of the drinks.....

If you want to tip 20%, add 2 % to the included tip.

I also don't tip extra for the bartender to open a beer for me. If he's preparing a mixed drink that takes some time, I would add a bit extra. I usually tip the bartenders at the end of the week if they have provided good service/conversation throughout the week.

Rich

Part of our cruise gear is 50 "lap dancer" singles.

I generally inhabit the same 2 or 3 bars each trip and I get to know the bartender and circulating service staff. I find that the little single on the end of each order is appreciated and does indeed make an incremental difference in service. Not huge but noticeable.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Part of our cruise gear is 50 "lap dancer" singles.

I generally inhabit the same 2 or 3 bars each trip and I get to know the bartender and circulating service staff. I find that the little single on the end of each order is appreciated and does indeed make an incremental difference in service. Not huge but noticeable.

Same here. I believe the automatic 18% tips are pooled. I've seen bar tenders put the cash in a common pot, but I believe the roving bar servers keep the cash themselves.

I never ever leave a blank space on a charge form. If you leave a tip line or total blanks, an enterprising server can adjust it to their benefit. When you get your credit card statement a month later, you may not notice the extra $5 or $10.

Even on the ship, unless you pay attention, you might not notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few years ago, at a restaurant, my husband did NOT put a line or a zero in the tip line. He also did not bring the total down. We left a CASH tip.

Lo and behold..that server added their own tip and brought down the total.

Yes...we went back to the restaurant when our statement came in and he was fired. Who knows how many times he had done this to someone else. ALWAYS bring the total down.

I used to do this delivering pizzas. Never got caught. Whoops

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you just sign they throw out the receipt.

I did tip a dollar on a couple of drinks and found that I got charged up to 3 times for the same dollar tip. Wouldn't suggest tipping because of that. They didn't show up on the bill until the morning we left too... never on the TV conveniently, to make it a PITA to contest.