SHOCKING! Another price jump

I am one of those who can't disconnect and yes, I too am an accountant. I have my own firm and if an issue arises with a client, I need to be able to hop online and solve it. Most things can be handled by my staff, but when you're dealing in confidentiality and finance,you can't just leave a book of pass codes lying around.

I pay the insane $30 a day and I am incredibly frustrated at the poor excuse for Internet service that is offered, but my only choices are leave NCL or not cruise at all.

I am an accountant too, and I learned the hard way that you need have practices, people, and procedures in place not only so you can take a vacation and relax but in case of an emergency and you are put in the hospital ICU for a week or longer and are not physically able to do those things above that you "can't disconnect" from. I'm only 49 and have had that happen to me twice (the first time was when I was 30 with a new born baby and a 2 year old and the 2nd time was last year). I make sure I can at least have the right people in place to back me up so I can have a relaxing vacation and/or not stress out while in the hospital unable to do what needs to be done. Do yourself and your business a favor get your back ups in place that you can trust and relax. Life is too short and precious to stress on your vacation over work related items.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I'm with you on this. I always lock my phone into the hotel/cabin safe as soon as vacation begins.

But, it does suck for those that need to be connected for work/family/peace of mind. At least many of the ports have some cafe/restaurant that offers free wifi?

For most people port wifi is the answer. And yes there are rare times when I can see the need for internet service when traveling.

That one makes sense but how many people would this apply to on any cruise? And I really don't think any cruise line should keep prices on something like the internet because a handful of passengers need or want to use it. This is just my humble opinion

BTW, what a nice gift to your niece. .

For most people port wifi is the answer. And yes there are rare times when I can see the need for internet service when traveling.

I for one would like to spend my little time in ports doing other things than first trying to find a place with working WiFi and then a free place to sit comfortably with a laptop to even begin working (if I even decide to leave the ship), total time at ports is usually max 20-25% of the cruise, rest of the time one is stuck onboard.

Are those really your ONLY choices? Wouldn't another choice be to empower someone at the company to handle things in your absence?

"Sorry, we can't help you right now because the boss is on a zip-line excursion in Cozumel" isn't going to help anyone.

Hopefully nothing bad ever happens to you...if you can't go on a simple vacation without being connected, if something did happen to you, what would happen to your company...or more importantly your clients?

People were able to cruise long before the Internet existed. Don't see how they all managed without Internet and all of a sudden we simply can not.

Actually you point to something that is rather serious and not at all related to cruising....

While we all like to work with mom and pop shops when possible...it's just not always smart to do so

While I despise big medical mills and prefer solo practitioners....that's only because I'm healthy....and avoid doctors as much as possible...if that weren't the case you can bet I'm with a huge medical mill

While I'm totally savvy in filing my own very complex taxes...if I had a need for a cpa etc ....you can bet I'm not going to a solo practice but o e with 2 or 3 partners and several additional qualified tax accountants.

Sometimes bigger is better or best and when you realize just how difficult it is for people to take vacations it's makes you rethink who...how and where you do your business

Just sayin

Edited by luvtheships

People in today's world need/want to be connected. It's just how life is now. Ask any young adult to go a day without their phone and they will have anxiety.

You can look down your nose on it, but new cruisers are going to expect service, and expect it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am an accountant too, and I learned the hard way that you need have practices, people, and procedures in place not only so you can take a vacation and relax but in case of an emergency and you are put in the hospital ICU for a week or longer and are not physically able to do those things above that you "can't disconnect" from. I'm only 49 and have had that happen to me twice (the first time was when I was 30 with a new born baby and a 2 year old and the 2nd time was last year). I make sure I can at least have the right people in place to back me up so I can have a relaxing vacation and/or not stress out while in the hospital unable to do what needs to be done. Do yourself and your business a favor get your back ups in place that you can trust and relax. Life is too short and precious to stress on your vacation over work related items.

A well known long time family run bridal shop around me just had such an issue....

Owners wife I believe was in a very serious medical state and he couldn't run the place without her so you guessed it.....

Sign on door one morning!!!

Brides left scrambling etc etc

I think I'll direct my 4 dd's to the big chain bridal store.

People in today's world need/want to be connected. It's just how life is now. Ask any young adult to go a day without their phone and they will have anxiety.

You can look down your nose on it, but new cruisers are going to expect service, and expect it to work.

Internet/phone addiction is a very real thing, unfortunately. It turns people in to zombies.

Your exactly right. And it's also no ones business who or WHY they need Internet or phone connection while on vacation. There could be such a variety of things but people on these boards seem to think they know everything and everyone should go by their beliefs and rules. You kind of get used to whose who on here looking down their noses at people who don't conform to their way of life. Oh well 😳😳😳

For those looking for options - I highly recommend this for consideration - http://www.androidcentral.com/project-fi - just "Google" it - our "Fi Network" cost $20 a month for unlimited calling & texting in the home area, served by Spring & T-Mobile, 4G/HSPA+/LTE data is $10 a GB and credited/charged back for any unused data to offset next month's billing. It works just the same in about 120 countries & growing - calls in roaming are just 20 cents a minute, but same $10 per GB for "slower" 3G data, twice as fast as T-Mo's global data.

Downside is that it does NOT work on cruise ships but once in sight of a land tower, I'm good until sailaway - as it will search for secured WiFi over VPN for a free connection (yes !!). I'm waiting to confirm that it will work in Bermuda as if I am in Jamaica ... on Digicel's network, how cool is that. Tablets (including newer iPad/mini's) can use the data plan at the same rates, with no contracts - paid only what you used as add-on to the primary account. Android devices by Google - Nexus 6, Nexus 5X and 6P are the only ones certified with the special hardware to use this service, we have 2 of the 3 & loved it.

This isn't for data hogs and for those on FB all day/night long - DW's final bill last month was just under $30, taxes & fees/charges included. That's one day of "better" unlimited WiFi access on a newer NCL ship.

https://fi.google.com/signup? - Cruiselines can charge whatever they feel, just don't get taken for a ride. But, on our next NCL sailing - we will take the "free" promo of 250 internet minutes, which is really part of the hidden costs - no such thing as a free "lunch" - IMO. You get what you paid for.

That is a very interesting point.

Some people obviously "need" to be connected. Some people obviously "want" to be connected.

The big issue, IMHO, is that there are a LOT of other people who can't tell the difference between "need" and "want"....and I'll bet that the vast majority think they are the former, when in fact they are the latter.

Some people obviously "need" to be connected. Some people obviously "want" to be connected.

The big issue, IMHO, is that there are a LOT of other people who can't tell the difference between "need" and "want"....and I'll bet that the vast majority think they are the former, when in fact they are the latter.

I know which I fall into. Can anyone really remember me posting that much on any of my cruises? No, I don't think so......well unless I happen to come across another anti-smoking thread.....then maybe a few

Edited by iimmie

I know which I fall into. Can anyone really remember me posting that much on any of my cruises? No, I don't think so......well unless I happen to come across another anti-smoking thread.....then maybe a few ��

Now THAT is funny! :D

You are probably right Sea Shark.

I am one who WANTS to be connected. It's no different from people who like to relax by reading books or trash mags. I just prefer to read trash from the Internet instead of hard copy is all.

It's not to the point where I won't cruise a certain line because of it, but I bet there will be more and more people (read younger demographic) who will make internet a priority.

We don't internet much on board usually - use phone for checking on parents, etc.

I know that the cell service is not the same in port as at sea. Is the Internet while in port but staying on ship as crappy as when at sea? I remember one year in ST Maarten a memo in the Dalies about no internet service due to the mountains .

Will be leaving kids behind so may want to use the Internet for school communication or whatever. If it is really awful we could always find a cafe or some such in port ( 4 port days ). Any suggestions? Text has always worked well for us, but there may be emails necessary now and again. We have the free (ahem) 250 min.

Thanks

Unlimited internet is now $29.99 a day, it was $24.99 in January.

Ok DelFeo cheerleaders, tell me how this is just a wonderful thing and how it benefits everyone. Can't wait to see the responses from people on the internet about how other people should disconnect from the net for a week.

You are obviously angry about price increases. Its basic economics based on supply and demand Cruise companies are accountable to their shareholders.

Do not expect mutual fund or stock appreciation without price increases on products and services you pay for!

I'm always amazed when people are surprised when Del Rio "Jacks" up prices. He publicly promised investors he would double profits by 2017. He is making good on that promise. Who knows, with the current price increase glide path, he just might beat expectations.

Ships need O3B now. Plain and simple. The per minute pricing is also seriously outdated. Charge by data instead. The connection gets so slow because of all the mobile devices and ways people are connected these days.

More and more people go on vacation and need to be connected to their work back on shore. It's a fact of life.

Pay as you go internet is now 95¢ per minute! It used to be 70¢. :eek:

Charging by actual megabyte used would be far better as in peak times you may use up several minutes waiting for your Office 365 portal to come up! :mad:

For those looking for options - I highly recommend this for consideration - http://www.androidcentral.com/project-fi - just "Google" it - our "Fi Network" cost $20 a month for unlimited calling & texting in the home area, served by Spring & T-Mobile, 4G/HSPA+/LTE data is $10 a GB and credited/charged back for any unused data to offset next month's billing. It works just the same in about 120 countries & growing - calls in roaming are just 20 cents a minute, but same $10 per GB for "slower" 3G data, twice as fast as T-Mo's global data.

Downside is that it does NOT work on cruise ships but once in sight of a land tower, I'm good until sailaway - as it will search for secured WiFi over VPN for a free connection (yes !!). I'm waiting to confirm that it will work in Bermuda as if I am in Jamaica ... on Digicel's network, how cool is that. Tablets (including newer iPad/mini's) can use the data plan at the same rates, with no contracts - paid only what you used as add-on to the primary account. Android devices by Google - Nexus 6, Nexus 5X and 6P are the only ones certified with the special hardware to use this service, we have 2 of the 3 & loved it.

This isn't for data hogs and for those on FB all day/night long - DW's final bill last month was just under $30, taxes & fees/charges included. That's one day of "better" unlimited WiFi access on a newer NCL ship.

https://fi.google.com/signup? - Cruiselines can charge whatever they feel, just don't get taken for a ride. But, on our next NCL sailing - we will take the "free" promo of 250 internet minutes, which is really part of the hidden costs - no such thing as a free "lunch" - IMO. You get what you paid for.

Project Fi is a great idea. I've used it but the places I go coverage with TMO and Sprint just aren't reliable or fast enough. Especially TMO 2G. Taking a picture and attaching to a text shouldn't take 40 minutes to send. But in the urban areas TMO's LTE is very fast.

And paying for actual data you use is great too. I like how it's broken out in 100MB blocks.

The other downfall is choice of devices. If this worked on iPhone and Samsung devices, for example, they'd have a much larger user base.

I have taken an activated SIM from my Nexus 6 and put it in an iphone 6S+ and did get service but it's not supported and you don't get the other benefit of switching from CDMA (Sprint) to GSM (TMO) on the fly, etc.

But paying $32-ish per month per line is very nice.

Edited by cpufrost

Ships need O3B now. Plain and simple. The per minute pricing is also seriously outdated. Charge by data instead.

MTN (NCL's satellite provider) with their new hardware/satellites not only provides the same speeds as O3B (MTN's new hardware is currently installed only on Breakaway in NCL's fleet, with pricing based on bytes used) but much better coverage also in Northern Europe, Canada and Alaska.

http://aws.mtnsat.com/mtn-news/norwegian-cruise-line-and-pioneer-highest-performing-satellite-modem-%E2%80%93-idirect-x7-%E2%80%93-cruise-

Edited by Demonyte

Well let me be the first: Unless you need it for work purposes why does anyone need to be connected? What happened to the days when we took vacation to get away? Our first 3 or 4 cruises we didn't even have TVs in the cabin.

I agree. This is why I love cruising. No internet, no contact to the outside world, nothing. Just me and the ocean and 2000 other people. :) The news is so depressing why would I want to see whats happening while on vacation. :)

We are actually getting it this time because we have a business and need to stay connected but only my husband will use it.

MTN (NCL's satellite provider) with their new hardware/satellites not only provides the same speeds as O3B (MTN's new hardware is currently installed only on Breakaway in NCL's fleet, with pricing based on bytes used) but much better coverage also in Northern Europe, Canada and Alaska.

http://aws.mtnsat.com/mtn-news/norwegian-cruise-line-and-pioneer-highest-performing-satellite-modem-%E2%80%93-idirect-x7-%E2%80%93-cruise-

MTN provides less than a fifth of the speed of 03B and the latency is higher. It's better than Inmarsat-B of course, but saying it matches O3B backhauls is incorrect.

But more importantly, the newer speeds need to be deployed fleetwide. Like yesterday.

Not everyone likes the big ships as well. ;)