Skipping mdr traditional dining the 1st day

I blew that one.

We always assumed Specialty would get the word to the MDR. But we're usually start eating the same time that the doors open in the MDR.

It's not a huge deal, it just might make the waiter's job a bit easier if he/she knows that certain guests are not coming.

I can't imagine that they would just change your table for that night. They would have simply served you, instead of waiting for the rest of the table to arrive. Changing your table for that one night only can cause a different problem -- some of those tables that you were seeing as 'empty' were probably assigned to people who had just not shown up, but the dining room has not idea if they will or will not.

They do if the folks call and let them know. ;)

why would we do this? I have not ever skipped the first night but booked for the mystery theater the first night.

This may sound silly, but we want to be up on deck as we sail away and we leave at our dining time. Now if it's raining, then we will go to the dining room and skip sail away.

I would say not. There is some attempt to keep age groups together roughly, but that's about it. If you visit the maitre 'd, he might be able to check the table in the computer, but then he'd have to check the other tables if you wanted to be moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We keep ending up with cruisers who use the same travel agent as us. Something about being in the same group booking. Actually not working out well lately.

Well, as much as I appreciate your opinion, they did. This was on X, not RCCL. On the second night, only one other couple showed up. We were asked if we wanted to sit at a two top or sit together with this other couple. We chose to sit alone. Period and were sat at a two top. As I said, there were MANY empty tables for the duration of this cruise. I guess most people went with the anytime dining.

OK....even if people went with MTD, the MDR would not have set up a table assignment for them.

I tried this a couple of times, only to find an empty table. So many people choose other options and since Royal doesn't let you choose to opt out of the MDR, don't feel you need to stop down and tell them.

I really wish you could opt out of selecting a time or chosing MTD. I wish there was a no dining room at all. Now we only eat in specialty or WJ.

Maybe you are more suited for Freestyle cruising with NCL

This may sound silly, but we want to be up on deck as we sail away and we leave at our dining time. Now if it's raining, then we will go to the dining room and skip sail away.

Don't think it's silly at all.

If your not there, you not there.

Dinner will go on.

You do not need to make a trip down there just to tell them.

They will not care either way..

Servers will delay service. It's annoying to the other guests. So it's nice to let people know if you won't be there.

We've been on both sides, being the ones waiting and waiting, and also being a bit late and knowing that we've delayed things.

Once someone stole my table.

Happened to us on Vision two weeks ago. We went to Giovanni's the second night, and the third night our table was taken by another group.

In traditional main/late dining?

We miss the first night most every cruise. Then we are out another night on a seven night and at least a third time on more than 7 nights.

In fact, a few cruises ago, we mentioned to the head waiter that we would not be there the next evening and he told us he would be placing another couple at our table ( for 2) that night, We were assured we would get the table back and we had no issue.

One cruise, we wanted a table for two but were assigned a table for 4. We decided not to change since it was a short cruise. When we arrived the first night ( no specialty restaurant) there were 4 at the table. Seems friends of those assigned to sit with us just moved in on the space. Head waiter apologized over and over and told us he only had a table for two - and gave us a bottle of wine. Talk about a win-win!

M

In traditional main/late dining?

We miss the first night most every cruise. Then we are out another night on a seven night and at least a third time on more than 7 nights.

In fact, a few cruises ago, we mentioned to the head waiter that we would not be there the next evening and he told us he would be placing another couple at our table ( for 2) that night, We were assured we would get the table back and we had no issue.

One cruise, we wanted a table for two but were assigned a table for 4. We decided not to change since it was a short cruise. When we arrived the first night ( no specialty restaurant) there were 4 at the table. Seems friends of those assigned to sit with us just moved in on the space. Head waiter apologized over and over and told us he only had a table for two - and gave us a bottle of wine. Talk about a win-win!

M

That's AWESOME :)

In traditional main/late dining?...

Our situation occurred in traditional main (early) dining.

The dining assignment process on Vision seems to have some issues. We were also re-assigned our traditional (early) dining table on the Jan 11th Vision cruise.

Our situation occurred in traditional main (early) dining.

The dining assignment process on Vision seems to have some issues. We were also re-assigned our traditional (early) dining table on the Jan 11th Vision cruise.

Yikes

Thanks

M