Security On Board Windstar Cruises

Stuboy

With all of the recent events in Europe, I am interested in finding out what type of security Windstar has on it's vessels. I am sailing on the Star Legend next month and would like to see how it compares to the other cruise lines I have sailed with.

After five Windstar cruises, the only obvious security presence we have experienced was during our transit of the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea and while in Egypt and Jordan. For good reason, this was extensive. On other cruises the only security I was aware of was present in checking passengers on and off the ship while in port. This was done by reading each passenger's electronic I'd card and passing any accompanying bags through a scanner.

One "security" difference is that most of the time the bridge is open, pretty much unique among cruise lines. At times when they feel it is necessary it will be closed and I expect that would also be true if there was an external security threat. Probably a bit different as well in that the security staff gets to recognize passengers and depend a bit less on physical ID.

Roy

One "security" difference is that most of the time the bridge is open, pretty much unique among cruise lines. At times when they feel it is necessary it will be closed and I expect that would also be true if there was an external security threat. Probably a bit different as well in that the security staff gets to recognize passengers and depend a bit less on physical ID.

Roy

Nice feature.:)

With all of the recent events in Europe, I am interested in finding out what type of security Windstar has on it's vessels. I am sailing on the Star Legend next month and would like to see how it compares to the other cruise lines I have sailed with.

Which itinerary are you going on? The security will vary. There was quite a bit on one of our cruises last year. Not in your face but there nevertheless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have read and heard that all ships' hulls are checked in port by divers. I also think that when we sign up for a cruise/flight our ids are passed through security lists. Also most ports you have to pass through some kind of security. So I think there is security we just do not know a lot about it for good reason. Happy Sailing.

Thanks all for of your information. We will be going from Lisbon to Barcelona on the April 17. First time on Windstar so just trying to keep the wife calm.

Would love to get an update from you after your trip, we do the same trip May8-16.

After five Windstar cruises, the only obvious security presence we have experienced was during our transit of the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea and while in Egypt and Jordan. For good reason, this was extensive. On other cruises the only security I was aware of was present in checking passengers on and off the ship while in port. This was done by reading each passenger's electronic I'd card and passing any accompanying bags through a scanner.

On the Breeze recently we also had to walk through a thinner version of an airport style detector as well upon return (not the hold your hands up kind, the other one).

To answer the original question succinctly .

1. Standard x ray all large bags on boarding, and belt scan hand baggage each time boarding, metal detection body scan on all boardings . (All boardings means both initial embarkation and after each port visit for pax going ashore.)

2. In troubled waters extra invisible ship lookout security, plus special pirate drills if required for pax.