Sanctuary On Alaska Cruises

spcl4cs_gal

Depends on the ship. On the Island and Coral, the Sanctuary is aft and there's an overhang so that it's more protected from wind and rain. Regardless, attendants bring you blankets and will position loungers as best they can.

When I did my Alaska cruise on the Star, I bought a thermal spa pass. The spa is under the Sanctuary. A lot of the time, it appeared the Sanctuary was closed due to weather.

Out of interest. If you have prepaid for a week (for example) in the Sanctuary - do they refund you for days they close it due to the weather?

Out of interest. If you have prepaid for a week (for example) in the Sanctuary - do they refund you for days they close it due to the weather?
Depends on the Sanctuary manager. Some allow you to book a lounger for the entire cruise but you're charged only for the half or full day actually used. You don't get the $30/day rate if they charge this way.

On our last Alaskan cruise, a B2B in 2012 on the Golden, I believe that the only day the Sanctuary might have been open was on the Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising day. There was a special package for just that day much like for the Panama Canal transit day. The package might have been as much as $70/person but included some food and non alcoholic beverages. One of our waitstaff at breakfast in Sabatini's was assigned to work in the Sanctuary that day so I know they received excellent service.

I am interested in this too.

Many people say that it is much too cold and rainy in Alaska.

But, then people also report warmer weather.

I also know that when you are glacier viewing, like at Glacier Bay, it can be very cold.

Since we will be on the Coral, with the Sanctuary on the back of the ship, which is more protected, I was kind of hoping for an opportunity to spend some time there. If a light jacket might be enough.

Could be day at sea with Hubbard Glacier.

or Glacier Bay

Or last day at sea, heading towards Vancouver

Could we make plans for that last day at sea, then cancel? Or is it like pre-pay unless the Sanctuary is closed due to very inclement weather?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Cold weather is all a matter of opinion. When I went to Alaska before I had no problem wearing shorts and a tshirt under a fleece, both in port and out on the bow glacier viewing. Layers are the key I think and you have to remember that you are not on a Caribbean cruise but you aren't in a deep freeze situation either.

I remember going orca watching in Victoria and we had to take a speed boat craft out to the pods. Again I was wearing shorts and a fleece...all of my southern American friends were asking me if I was cold the whole trip. My reply was always "No". :)

How cold is it? This was our coldest day out of 14 sunny & warm days in June 2013.

OMG that looks very cold. I went at the end of August and it really wasn't bad at all. Of course, as I have said, I don't mind the cold.

[ATTACH]380930[/ATTACH]

We booked Sanctuary every sea day as we rounded South America in December on the Star. A little sleet never hurt anyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isn't that their summer down there at that time of the year?

Would there be much sense booking the Sanctuary for one of these cruises? I mean would it ever be warm enough to just lounge outside on an Alaskan cruise? :confused:

There's so much to see and do in Alaska. Why waste it lounging around and not seeing the beautiful views? It is cold in Alaska, sometimes you can get lucky and it will be warm. I'm taking my sweatshirts and pants to sit out on our balcony for coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. IMHO the Sanctuary is a waste of money.

On the Coral Princess, the Sanctuary is on the back of the ship, not the front. Because it is aft, it does not have the full cover and wind-breaks which would block your views. It would be like those who enjoy booking Aft Balconies. I am thinking that this would be a great place to spend some time. (Unless it IS sleeting! Hahahaha!)

We could do Hubbard Glacier, which doesn't approach the Glacier until late afternoon. Or we could do the last sea day which would involve scenic cruising, but not focused glacier viewing.

We've taken 3 cruises to Alaska (Sapphire, Diamond, and Island). I never understood why they don't just have the Sanctuary open for "free" as another public area for these cruises. Only once or twice would it have been "warm" enough to sit out there for an extended period of time. Otherwise, it's more viewing time. It would be nice if there was an opportunity to view from that area without having to pay for it. I would never be there long enough for a 1/2 day pass to make sense.

Of course, my opinion. Just seems silly to me that they try to keep it the same as warm weather cruises where it might be worth it to pay for the area. I don't think they need to include all the staffing, wait service, etc. for these colder cruises.

We travelled on Island Princess in 2010 and booked the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay day. We had the best day ever. Nice warm blankets in the morning but by afternoon we were in shorts and polo shirts as the area is well protected from the breeze. No hesitation booking is again.

Isn't that their summer down there at that time of the year?

Yes, but the tip is always cold cuz it is so close to Antarctica! . We experiences temps from mid 40s thru mid-90s in the course of 31 days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, let's put it this way...I live in Alaska so am more used to the weather, and I won a free pass to the Sanctuary on an Alaska cruise, and I didn't redeem it because it was too cold! Whenever we have walked by while on an Alaska cruise, the poor stewards have been shivering and bundled up, and it's been empty. That said, we do have rare 70s day, and the Sanctuary would be wonderful, but don't count on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I booked a suite so the way i read it i get the sanctuary for free for the week.if they close it do i get on board credit? im on the crown sept 10th.
Suites include use of the Thermal Suite (on ships that have a TS), not the Sanctuary. There is no cash value for suite benefits and there is nothing offered in exchange for the TS benefit on the Pacific, Sun, Sea, Dawn, Royal and Regal that don't have a TS.