Storm Katie

sweby

Hi, we are sailing on the Ventura on Easter Sunday. I see that we can expect some rough weather. Am I right in thinking such a big ship as this will be fairly stable in such bad weather. We have stocked up on Sturgeron!

Sweby

Hi, we are sailing on the Ventura on Easter Sunday. I see that we can expect some rough weather. Am I right in thinking such a big ship as this will be fairly stable in such bad weather. We have stocked up on Sturgeron!

Sweby

The big ships are relatively stable but if the sea, wind, swell and wave direction all not in your favour, you are going to feel some movement even on the big ships. We were in a force 11/12 in the med last year on Azura and the pitching was rather pronounced, although not so much side to side movement. But we rocked a lot up the coast off Portugal! But you'll be fine - try the wrist bands too, they really work well for my husband, and are much better than stuffing yourself full of drugs!

Have a great trip.

Agree with previous posters. If you're catching the back of a storm you will feel it a bit- that's unavoidable. However the Captain will have the stabilisers out and will vary the course to some extent to take account of the weather.

We've just come back from Oceana and we left Southampton a few hours late because of the weather and it certainly was rocky for the first couple of days but the MDR was full every night so IMO that says it all.

I'm on the Ventura tomorrow too...it's become a running joke with my husband that every time we cruise the wind picks up!

I notice that Ventura hasn't docked in Cherbourg today. My guess is that it's wind related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the Ventura tomorrow too...it's become a running joke with my husband that every time we cruise the wind picks up!

I notice that Ventura hasn't docked in Cherbourg today. My guess is that it's wind related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Oh well, hope its only for the first day. Sunday night is looking particularly bad. Looking for my wrist bands next, and have packed our own discomfort bags! Cruised loads of times, but only had bad weather once, but the memory lingers

Sweby

That's surprising - when we couldn't land at St Peter's Port because of the wind (on Azura) we went to Cherbourg instead!

It looks like a day of bobbing up and down the channel was the order of the day today!

As for Guernsey, it may be that it was way too rough for tendering. Last Easter on Oriana it was just about ok to tender but it was dodgy getting on the tender.

A very strong consistent wind can introduce a very severe list. This can be disorientating and things might slide off surfaces. I am thinking soup in your lap type instances.

Regards John

Especially on the very high sided ships! Give me a liner type any day in bad weather. Had a Force 12 on Fred's Balmoral, she was fine. Same on Oriana.

http://passageweather.com/

The website above will give you all the info you need about wind and wave height.....if you are brave enough to look!

A few of the new cruisers on Britannia will be feeling it in the Bay of Biscay today.

Look at this baby :-( ....

646347404_Waveheight-BayofBiscay.jpg.e5e81baff9da5451c210a83942465b8f.jpg

Edited by Rotherham_Cruiser

Port of dover closed, aircraft diverted from Gatwick. 109 miles an hour at the Needles. Nasty!

Definitely nasty, happy to be sitting at home hoping that there is not a repeat storm in 2 weeks when we are on Ventura.

Port of dover closed, aircraft diverted from Gatwick. 109 miles an hour at the Needles. Nasty!

Plane diverted to Cardiff last night - couldn't land at Bournemouth. So pretty rough night for sure - and not out of the woods yet with widespread disruption. Hope those on board aren't doing too badly.

Edited by kruzseeka

I bet those who won the cruise tickets on Ant and Dec's show, and are first time cruisers are thinking "this cruising lark isn't all its cracked up to be"!! Joking apart, it can't be much fun for them at the moment and I wish them better weather the further south they go.

It can only get better so enjoy.

Just looking at AIS and Ventura is not even past Cornwall, doing 11.7 knots. She left on Sunday. Balmoral is just behind her doing the same speed. Must be rough.

Jean, no she is on her way to Funchal. Due Thursday. With three days to get there very easily timed. Now doing 13 knots. No need to go faster.

Britannia is on her way to Cadiz due Wednesday so is doing 17 knots neither seem to be slowing down

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

AIS also showing Britannia at the moment heading up the Nth sea !!! Either the winds are bad or glitch !!!!

That's a hell of a wind then.

When I looked she was also being shown in the Isles of Scilly, about to dock. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app