Don't even think about skipping the Lifeboat Drill

Then how do you explain them knowing that someone is not there?

They knew it by some other means, or it was just "pure chance", or a hunch.

I just know that they've never relied on any method for ensuring people are at the drill other than clearing the cabins via the room stewards, and that's not 100% effective. The whole point of them conducting this "count" (which I've only seen it the last couple/few years) was to make people think that they were actually accounting for people, when in reality it was an act/ploy/charade/etc...

Tom

random cabin numbers being stated is all

They do put on quite the "show"! ;)

When, in reality, it's better all around if they'd just actually make sure. Scanning cards or checking you off a list (methods I think all other lines do) is the way to do it.

Tom

I just know that they've never relied on any method for ensuring people are at the drill other than clearing the cabins via the room stewards, and that's not 100% effective. The whole point of them conducting this "count" (which I've only seen it the last couple/few years) was to make people think that they were actually accounting for people, when in reality it was an act/ploy/charade/etc...

Tom

Was on a ship a couple of years ago when they had a crew only drill. (the one where they actually lower a lifeboat and a life raft to make sure that the crew does what needs to be done in the proper amount of time) And the Cabin Steward was putting red chips in the door locks of the cabins. I asked, and he said that red means that the passengers were out of the room, green or yellow means that someone is in the room. So they do have a method for identifying rooms that are vacant during drills.

Was on a ship a couple of years ago when they had a crew only drill. (the one where they actually lower a lifeboat and a life raft to make sure that the crew does what needs to be done in the proper amount of time) And the Cabin Steward was putting red chips in the door locks of the cabins. I asked, and he said that red means that the passengers were out of the room, green or yellow means that someone is in the room. So they do have a method for identifying rooms that are vacant during drills.

That, however, doesn't preclude someone from skipping the drill and either hiding in the cabin (balcony, bathroom, etc -- I've heard stories) nor coming back to the cabin after it's cleared.

If they're actually serious about getting this safety information to everyone while AT the drill, then they need to make sure they're actually there. Again, a check list or card scan is the only way. Of course, there's always the person who will slip out even after checking in... seen that too!

I guess they could lock everyone in large lounges/rooms to ensure their presence, but...

Tom

Each muster area has a number posted for how many passengers should be in a specific area. If you do a count every week, you can do counts in multiples so they can scan and click 5 people or so. I am usually in front and they are clicking as they walk.

Clicking is only an approximation and highly subject to miscount. The process on Princess and perhaps some Celebrity ships to have people's S&S card scanned by handheld computers is the best way to insure a proper count.

Carnival still has staff checking cabin rooms looking for pax skipping the drill.

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

NCL also does it in public spaces.-and NCL takes your cabin number and you are called out to do a make up drill if you aren't there

I honestly don't know if there is enough room in the seated venues for everyone to muster and probably would have to break down into a great many more muster stations than they have now.

The location seems to vary greatly from ship to ship. On the Fantasy we were in the main theater and actually had to leave the theater together and walk the path to the lifeboats as part of the drill. On other ships we have been in a seated venue while other friends were standing and vice versus, so I don't see as there being an 'always' situation on any of the ships. It all depends on where your muster station is on that cruise.

They do check the rooms during muster. Last cruise I ran to drop something in my room real quick and discovered a plastic card in the card slot and there were people standing in the hallway ensuring that no one snuck back into their rooms. He was nice and let me run in and out real quick, but they were watching. I've seen people post that they have gone so far as to hide in closets, under beds, etc in order to skip muster, silliness to me, spending a half hour stuffed in the closet does not sound fun. Though I've also seen where some admitted to getting caught. :) Carnival is definitely checking.

Personally, I am very pleased that Carnival has gone to doing the drills prior to sailing. It's a 'necessary evil', but it allows it to get done before really getting into the cruise and before there is any possible chance you may actually need to know the information. I could care less whether they scan cards or not - as I know I am going to the drill and paying attention.

... I could care less whether they scan cards or not - as I know I am going to the drill and paying attention.

I'm not paying attention too much any more. I'm watching birds fly by or people watching (sport in/of itself)! After almost 100 drills, I know the drill - and just take note of where my muster station and lifeboat are. :)

Tom

Tom

While I agree with you that scanning the cards if by far the best method you do seem quite certain that they are not actually counting. Do you know this for a fact or is it just your opinion?

How does it work for little kids? Is there a separate muster drill for people with little ones? This is our first cruise with kids and now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing very little kids at our drills before.

They will put a bracelet on each child. ( Hint: if very young, put it around an ankle, it's so much easier on the child, he won't keep trying to take it off)

While I agree with you that scanning the cards if by far the best method you do seem quite certain that they are not actually counting. Do you know this for a fact or is it just your opinion?

I have no firsthand/inside knowledge as to their current protocols. Logic and reason are my only assets in regards to why I believe as I do.

Tom

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

Just got off Navigator of the Seas. They had us packed like sardines under the lifeboats. Others were in the theater, lounges, etc.

I was running late once to drill on Pride because of my toddler and the stewards where checking rooms. She opened our room and saw us there and waited with the door open tell we left. I was going to the station and I saw other stewards checking rooms.

They could always offer up an invisible/secret hand stamp at the muster stations by which adults could "redeem" it for a free drink later in the evening. That alone would get 90% of the people there... LOL

Tom

"Attention passengers. This is your Captain speaking. Emergency muster drill will now commence. The first 1000 people at their muster stations will receive a free cruise."

[chaos ensues]

There's no doubt/question about them checking the rooms - they check EVERY one. Now as to how well they check them, that's up for discussion. I'd guess (yes, there's me assuming again! ;) ) that some stewards are less concerned than others (most are great, caring individuals).

Going forward, as they start requiring actual accounting, checking the rooms will take on less importance.

I've been reading the daily blog from Capt. Albert, who's on the HAL Koningsdam. It's been VERY interesting the last couple of weeks. They'll take delivery of this new ship (new class as well) at the end of this week. He's gone into a fair bit of detail about how the crew is helping finish the ship - fascinating. How they all first moved into guest cabins while theirs were being finished, then transitioned into theirs. How they started opening the buffet and dining rooms (for themselves) to gain experience, etc... NOW, back to my point in bringing this up!! Today was more about safety, and he did mention something about their guest safety briefing, so I thought it timely (see below):

With indoor mustering you report to an area in a public room that corresponds with your cabin number. There is crew in place to guide you all the way from your cabin to your assigned waiting area. Banners indicate the section you belong to.

The passenger mustering (Guest Safety Briefing) is completely different on this ship compared to the rest of the fleet as the Guests will now muster inside. So we have to retune the thinking of the crew completely to achieve this. It is not a matter of just marching from your cabin and then directly to you lifeboat. No from your cabin you go to your muster station, which is a public area, and then when your lifeboat is ready, you march from the Muster area to the lifeboat and walk straight into it. A sort of waiting comfortably for your taxi to arrive/be ready and when it is there, get up and hop in.

At the entrance of your mustering area there is a crew member who scans your cabin key card and then another crew member guides you to your seat.

BTW, even if you're not interested is sailing HAL, if you'd like to get a better handle regarding the final weeks of preparation before putting a new ship into service, this would be suggested reading !! :)

Tom

"Attention passengers. This is your Captain speaking. Emergency muster drill will now commence. The first 1000 people at their muster stations will receive a free cruise."

[chaos ensues]

Chaos indeed ! :D

Heck, just announce that some cabin numbers will be drawn at random during the briefing - and those people will receive... (fill in the blank)! :cool:

Tom

It is interesting that they did it on the Dream. It seems the Dream is getting to be a trial for new things (like the only servicing your cabin once a day). I know it is not being done on every Carnival ship because I just got of the Magic and they did not scan our cards. They just had the staff using the clickers.