Balcony Vs No Balcony

Colleen8580

Thanks all for the great advice and information. We are considering just getting one balcony and having the other rooms be inside. I'm going to start looking into the different ports/glaciers to decide which itinerary is best for us.

We are considering just getting one balcony and having the other rooms be inside.

This sounds like a great idea.

One thing we didn't take into consideration on our last Alaska cruise was that the deck above us had an overhang that blocked our view although it was great for keeping us dry. It wasn't a real problem since we took a few pictures from the balcony each day then got out and about on the decks for better views.

Our first Alaska cruise was on the Star Princess and their decks are arranged in the wedding cake style so the views from our balcony were completely unobstructed.

Our next cruise is in August and we will have a balcony again, but plan to get around the ship often as well.

Happy cruising!

Thanks all for the great advice and information. We are considering just getting one balcony and having the other rooms be inside. I'm going to start looking into the different ports/glaciers to decide which itinerary is best for us.

I love this idea! We always cruise with a balcony no matter where we are going because I need a little outdoor real estate to myself. But this sounds like a great compromise.

I've been on two Alaskan cruises (3rd one is coming up quickly!) and we've had a balcony on all of them. We sat on it a LOT for both cruises. More than a few times we ordered room service for lunch. It's definitely worth having and I would not cruise Alaska without having one.

Just my 2¢. :)

Edited by K.T.B.

For us the additional personal, quiet place our balcony offers us is priceless...We've cruised in mid and late May and in September to Alaska and have always used our balcony.

We agree here, regardless of the cruise we book, a balcony is a must for us.

You will get all kinds of opinions on balconies.

We cruised to AK in 2008 (and have one scheduled this year). This was the first trip where my husband had a balcony. The ship was northbound and our cabin was on the right-side of the ship. We definitely used the balcony. My husband was thrilled to be able to watch the coast-line without worrying that people were in the way. While in Glacier Bay and College Fjord, we did go up on deck for a while but found ourselves back on the balcony.

I've only cruised Princess to Alaska but have cruised on Carnival before, and a close friend has cruised Carnival to Alaska. As much as I have enjoyed Princess, if my budget was a bit restricted, I would book a balcony on Carnival just to enjoy the balcony.

Never substitute anyone else's opinion for your own. And that's mostly what we all offer here....opinions. Reading a lot of opinions may give you some clarity into what's important to you, but only you should decide how to spend your money.

Nobody loves a balcony more than I do. Yet, on our next southbound cruise, we will be sailing in an obstructed oceanview cabin. The difference was something like $700-$800 apiece. So we chose instead to spend extra days touring Alaska. We could afford the extra money for the balcony, but we didn't see it as a good value. Our opinion. Our choice.

Sit down with a piece of paper and start with the total dollar amount you can spend on this trip. Then write down the cost of airfare/transportation, cabin options, excursion choices, etc. When you see how quickly those numbers add up, it usually makes your options clearer.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy Alaska.

After one Alaskan cruise, I am not an expert, but I do know the money we spent on a balcony was worth more to me than an expensive tour. On our northbound cruise we only had three ports...the rest of the week was scenic cruising through the inside passage, Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

When you are cruising in Alaska, there is something to see almost ALL of the time. It is not like cruising in the Caribbean where all you can see is water.

With daylight lasting until nearly midnight I knew there was no way that I wanted to STAND on an open deck all day and all evening. Having our balcony gave us a private retreat where we could duck inside to use the restroom, grab a drink, put on a jacket, have access to cameras & binoculars, etc. The naturalist's narration is broadcast through the TV so we could hear the same as if we were on the top deck.

We did book our cruise for the end of May/beginning of June to get lower prices. I also found that during that time the mountains still have a substantial snow cover and are so beautiful...and you get the added bonus of longer daylight hours than in August.

I took literally thousands of photos on our trip and without the balcony I would have missed so many of my best shots. You can see the photos in my CC review and also my blog...the links are in my signature below.

For less than the price difference between an inside and a balcony, we were able to afford:

Kayaking in Ketchikan

Whale Watching in Icy Strait

Tracy Arm tour with Adventurebound in Juneau

Hiking in Skagway

Lunch at Tracy's Crab Shack

Cheap souvenirs for the kids and coworkers in Ketchikan

Alaska Tshirts for us.

I spent most of my time on the upper deck with my camera. One of the highlights of my time on the deck included seeing a line of dolphins stretching across the horizon as far as the eye can see. Other highlights included swapping stories with other photographers and waking up early to watch the ship pull into port.

Alaska is probably going to be a once in a lifetime event for us, so saving money on the room so we could get out and enjoy Alaska was very important.

Good luck! Either way, have a fantastic time!

We’ve been on a lot of cruises to Alaska. We always book a Oceanveiw cabin. On 3 occasions we were upgraded to a balcony room at no cost. I would never pay for a balcony cabin on an Alaskan cruise. It’s too cold to be outside and enjoy it for very long. Wrapping up in blankets like an Eskimo and sitting out on the balcony isn’t what I’d call fun. On our last cruise to Alaska we had a balcony and when I looked down on the other balcony’s below us I saw very few people out on the balcony’s below ours.

• 4 months later...

We've contemplated this a lot over the past few months. We originally booked a balcony and, while it causes us to tighten the budget a bit, I think to be able to watch the scenery from our room in the mornings, to be able to sleep with the door ajar if we choose, is all worth it to me. Thought about downgrading, but decided against it. We pay monthly and wont be in debt. Excursions in the budget as well. We may never get to cruise Alaska again (so many places, so little time) so why not do it right if you can.

We had a balcony in July on our Alaskan cruise. It was the first time we cruised and absolutely loved the balcony. It was too cool and windy to sit on the balcony while the ship was moving but was wonderful for Glacier Bay and while in ports. I would pay the extra for a balcony again.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

On Radiance of the Seas, Spousal Unit and I booked an inside cabin to save money for must-do activities. We had perfect darkness when we needed to sleep and all the views we wanted through the huge windows around the ship. When we sailed to Hubbard Glacier, I ducked out on an uncrowded lower deck for photos. Unless we lucked into some fabulous deal, we would stick with an inside cabin on any future cruise to Alaska aboard a ship where most public areas look out to sea.

I always book ocean view and sometimes obstructed ocean view as I spend most of my time on deck where I get a 360 degree view as opposed to the 180 degree view you get on a balcony. The only times that I have had a balcony is when it was free, I got a free upgrade or it cost only a few bucks more. I personally would not book an inside cabin as I need to have outside light in my cabin even if I can not see outside because of the obstruction.

You do not need a balcony at all. Don't listen to the folks who say that if you don't have a balcony your are not cruising.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Should we go with Carnival just to get the balcony or base the decision on other factors and settle for an inside if another line better meets our wishes otherwise? NOPE

Will we be able to see the glaciers from the decks if we do not have a private balcony? YES - the 360 from the decks is better IMHO (no blinders) The ships usually open the front of the ship for viewing as well.

Also, if the teacher decides she is not able to come I have noticed prices in May or early June are much more affordable. Would it be worth going earlier in the season to be able to afford the balcony?Still NOPE

You will probably want to take an excursion or 3 on your cruise. You are already price conscious without adding those into the equation - & trust me they are pricey in AK

without getting into beverages, etc.

This is a very personal decision. So, look within yourself for the answer. There is something for everyone, which is what makes cruising so wonderful. I often see the "budget" factors that are involved for some planners. Again, very personal. I've always been a bottom cost cruiser. :) I don't care where the cabin is, just give me the lowest available price- what ticks for me. :) It isn't always a "money" issue, I sometimes get that "pitiful" comment about "only can afford an inside". Well if thought about, isn't my reason- I certainly wouldn't be traveling at least 4 months a year, if "money" was tight. :)

Have a great trip.

Edited by Budget Queen

I spent most of my time on the upper deck with my camera. One of the highlights of my time on the deck included seeing a line of dolphins stretching across the horizon as far as the eye can see. Other highlights included swapping stories with other photographers and waking up early to watch the ship pull into port.

e!

And just think - if you had paid extra for a balcony and the balcony was on the wrong side of the ship, you would not have seen the dolphins. In AK, it is all about the scenery. Not half of the scenery which is what you get on your expensive balcony but 100% of the scenery.

DON

And just think - if you had paid extra for a balcony and the balcony was on the wrong side of the ship, you would not have seen the dolphins. In AK, it is all about the scenery. Not half of the scenery which is what you get on your expensive balcony but 100% of the scenery.

DON

We also saw dolphins...very early in the morning right below my balcony. Without a balcony I would not have seen these at all since I would not have been up on deck at that time of the morning. And chances are if I were up on deck I might have been at the front of the ship or on the opposite side and still missed them.

IMG_1284.JPG

Although we did spend time on the outer decks, having the balcony means we were able to enjoy the scenery much more because it was available all of the time we were in the cabin...from the time I opened my eyes, while getting dressed, while taking a break, getting ready for bed, etc. Even if you are out on a public deck your eyes can only see one direction at a time so there will always be things you will miss. And...I can only stand at a railing for so long. I loved having my own chair with my camera, binoculars, snacks, drinks, extra jacket...and a bathroom all steps away. We even grabbed dinner at the buffet a couple of times and ate outside on the balcony!

Having the balcony was a splurge for us (we normally book inside cabins) but I looked at the extra cost as if we were paying for an excursion. On our northbound cruise we spent hours and hours enjoying our own private space and that is really the key to seeing the scenery and wildlife...spend lots of time looking.

Everyone is different, but for me I think a balcony is pretty important for an Alaskan cruise. :)

Edited by AryMay

It really is personal preference. Except for one cruise, I have always been in a balcony. The other was an ocean view.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin and on our balcony. We love room service! I love being able to dash outside as soon as I get up in the morning and not worry about how I look or getting dressed. I use the supplied robes a lot but I would never wear them outside of my stateroom.

We are from the group we would rather cruise less and have a balcony.

Never done an inside so for next year we decided to try it. Last Alaska cruise we found the balcony too cold and wet (or smokey) and the view really restricted. As others have pointed out we always wondered what the view was the other way. Doing an inside will force us to get out - even if just to a lounge with views both ways. On HAL the promenade outside are as good as a balcony (better really - more sheltered) but have the same one-way view. Also a try-out for us will be the darkness of an inside in the midnight sun. The cost savings aren't hard to take either.

Never done an inside so for next year we decided to try it. Last Alaska cruise we found the balcony too cold and wet (or smokey) and the view really restricted. As others have pointed out we always wondered what the view was the other way. Doing an inside will force us to get out - even if just to a lounge with views both ways. On HAL the promenade outside are as good as a balcony (better really - more sheltered) but have the same one-way view. Also a try-out for us will be the darkness of an inside in the midnight sun. The cost savings aren't hard to take either.

You do get both sides. :) I move side to side frequently, takes 30 seconds going through the ship. or I like doing the "swing", walking the back third of the ship back and forth. Good exercise for me.

All the regular ships sailing Alaska have this lower deck. significant advantage for me, never having any problem getting rail space. The few times, I've gotten free outside, I really didn't bother looking out. Way too restrictive for the reasons I sail Alaska.

As I mentioned- I LIKE an inside and specifically would not choose anything else. It's sometimes assumed, it's because of tight funds. I'll caution against that thinking, clearly not in my case, along with other "insiders" who may actually prefer them. :)

What's so wonderful about cruising= something for everyone.

On a Alaska cruise, a balcony is a must. Having breakfast on your balcony and enjoying the beautiful scenery cannot be beat.

I agree. On our cruises anymore, no balcony, no cruise.

However, as BQ indicates, spending a lot of time on the open decks walking around and from side to side is great as well. So I do both, the balcony and the open deck bit. When I get a little chilly or tired, I head for the cabin where I'm still able to take in the vistas, albeit one side only but from a more comfortable atmosphere.

Trouble with HAL nowadays is that we don't want to get stuck with a cigar smoker on the nearby balcony, so even though they have super itineraries, we don't book.

We recently returned from a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam. We had heard a lot about smoking being permitted on the balconies. We didn't smell smoke and were on our balcony a lot due to the nice weather, as well as being out on deck.

We always book a stateroom with balcony and wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by JimAOk1945