Regal Marina Deck and Seawalk

bfr840

We recently sailed on the Regal and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. Our one gripe was the constant gawking of folks on Seawalk while sitting on our balcony. Having booked a mini suite with balcony, you expect the same level of privacy afforded to other passengers. Unfortunately, this was not the case with M423 (or any of the other adjacent cabins). There was also a great deal of noise from heavy footed individuals stomping across the Lido deck at all hours of the night. I know this will sound like nitpicking, I am just trying to give fair warning to folks before they shell out the extra money.

We recently sailed on the Regal and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. Our one gripe was the constant gawking of folks on Seawalk while sitting on our balcony. Having booked a mini suite with balcony, you expect the same level of privacy afforded to other passengers. Unfortunately, this was not the case with M423 (or any of the other adjacent cabins). There was also a great deal of noise from heavy footed individuals stomping across the Lido deck at all hours of the night. I know this will sound like nitpicking, I am just trying to give fair warning to folks before they shell out the extra money.

Beware of the mini-suites on the Grand class ships of Princess also. They are all on Dolphin deck and have no cover. Everyone above those balconies can look down on you. Also never book a cabin under the Lido deck of any ship. It is usually noisy.

As for those gawkers, did you wave? That usually moves them along. :D

Edited by Mom33

Beware of the mini-suites on the Grand class ships of Princess also. They are all on Dolphin deck and have no cover. Everyone above those balconies can look down on you. Also never book a cabin under the Lido deck of any ship. It is usually noisy.

I will respectfully disagree with you on the cabins under the lido deck. We've had many and they are not noisy. The odd time we've heard something but it's never been bad. We were much more disturbed by the noise being near a crew door on a much lower deck.

I will respectfully disagree with you on the cabins under the lido deck. We've had many and they are not noisy. The odd time we've heard something but it's never been bad. We were much more disturbed by the noise being near a crew door on a much lower deck.

I am certain that it had to do with the location of the Lido deck that we were under which would be the pool and muts section. Sliding of chairs, children running and heels on deck vs. carpet. Sometimes being midship is not always the best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently stayed in a port side Royal Riviera Deck extended angled balcony MA Mini below SeaView Bar with no privacy problems. But starboard Marina/Riviera, etc., deck balconies/cabins under the SeaWalk do appear to have privacy issues. If booking an extended angled balcony cabin IMO best to be port side below Marina Deck for more privacy less noise.

The grand class dolphin deck is totally different. While not covered, only those on the balconies above that look over the railing can see the dolphin deck balcony. Those on deck 10 are not able to see into the cabin and their sight lines are generally out to sea.

On the Royal and Regal the sea walk isn't a sitting area it is a 'walk by' and look area. While walking on the sea walk on deck 16 starboard you are actually able to see into the cabins on decks 15 & 14 and a little on deck 12 when sliding door is open. Sight lines can be and frequently are toward the ship's structure, or straight down and not out to sea. It isn't quite as bad on the port side due to the Seaview Bar.

Edited by sknight

The grand class dolphin deck is totally different. While not covered, only those on the balconies above that look over the railing can see the dolphin deck balcony. Those on deck 10 are not able to see into the cabin and their sight lines are generally out to sea.

On the Royal and Regal the sea walk isn't a sitting area it is a 'walk by' and look area. While walking on the sea walk on deck 16 starboard you are actually able to see into the cabins on decks 15 & 14 and a little on deck 12 when sliding door is open. Sight lines can be and frequently are toward the ship's structure, or straight down and not out to sea. It isn't quite as bad on the port side due to the Seaview Bar.

I have been on the Sea Walk and know that people look and leave. They don't linger over drinks to watch people sit on their balconies or attempt to be peeping Toms.

The OP's post was complaining about people looking down on them and not having privacy on the balcony.This is an issue on the Grand Class ships on the Dolphin decks with some cruisers. People tend to linger on balconies, not walk away.

I have no issue one way or another. I have sailed under the Seawalk on lower decks on the Royal and Regal and on the open Dolphin decks on Emerald and the Crown and have never felt an invasion of privacy. But it will bother some people.

I had a balcony cabin on Marina deck beneath the Horizon Court. It was AWFUL! Initially, I thought, "Couldn't be bad because there's carpeting and sound insulation." Wrong! Starting at 3:30am every morning, the sounds from above were like they were in my ceiling. I can't imagine how bad it would be beneath open deck but I have no desire to find out. Maybe it's just poor sound insulation on the Royal (and, I assume) the Regal but it was so bad I'd rather not cruise than have a cabin that's not beneath another cabin. And that's saying a lot.

Terrible and I understand you will want privacy on your balcony however it's not any different than sitting on the open Lido deck. I mean what can you do that is different? You still gotta be clothed :) That sea walk gets old in a minute. I definitely don't doubt the noise from above though, always stay between cabins!

Edited by anthonyy7

These cabins became available for an upsell for our upcoming cruise and we declined choosing one of those cabins for the very reasons you've mentioned. We chose an upsell mini in the mid forward section instead due to concerns of gawkers and heavy footed people above the cabin

We have cabins M311 and M315 booked on Regal. I know they're not under the seawalk, but appear to be under a walkway on Lido - I guess going to/from the buffet? I can't remember the exact layout. Does anyone know anything about the noise level in these cabins? I was a bit hesitant to book, but we were looking for just standard balcony cabins where we could open the balcony divider.

That's why you should never pick a cabin under the pool area.

We have cabins M311 and M315 booked on Regal. I know they're not under the seawalk, but appear to be under a walkway on Lido - I guess going to/from the buffet? I can't remember the exact layout. Does anyone know anything about the noise level in these cabins? I was a bit hesitant to book, but we were looking for just standard balcony cabins where we could open the balcony divider.

Looks like your cabins are under the walkway next to the Trident Grill.

Should not have much noise from there.

We were on Regal in Marina 414 and then Marina 423. You couldn't PAY me to take a stateroom on Marina deck after our experience. If you want "the rest of the story, read my review!
I agree. I would cancel the cruise rather than go through what I did in a balcony cabin on Marina deck. My sister was in an inside cabin down the hall on Marina and also had a lot of noise, mostly because she was beneath the Horizon Court and carts rumbled overhead day and night. Edited by Pam in CA

Looks like your cabins are under the walkway next to the Trident Grill.

Should not have much noise from there.

Thanks, caribill. I hope that's the case. I tried searching the forum & googling the cabin number but wasn't coming up with anything. I guess I can always take earplugs just in case.

I had a balcony cabin on Marina deck beneath the Horizon Court. It was AWFUL! Initially, I thought, "Couldn't be bad because there's carpeting and sound insulation." Wrong! Starting at 3:30am every morning, the sounds from above were like they were in my ceiling. I can't imagine how bad it would be beneath open deck but I have no desire to find out. Maybe it's just poor sound insulation on the Royal (and, I assume) the Regal but it was so bad I'd rather not cruise than have a cabin that's not beneath another cabin. And that's saying a lot.

I wholeheartedly concur with Pam.

dmdiver- I would be worried about the location of your rooms. They are below the pool deck very near the Trident grill. The layout constricts the walking path to be right above your rooms. I would expect a lot of noise during the day. At night, it will depend on how heavy footed your fellow passengers are.

Daytime noise doesn't bother me, as I don't spend a lot of time in the cabin & we get up pretty early. Nighttime is my only concern. I may keep my eyes open for another pair of cabins - I just wanted to be close to the pool deck since we spend a lot of time there.

Daytime noise doesn't bother me, as I don't spend a lot of time in the cabin & we get up pretty early. Nighttime is my only concern. I may keep my eyes open for another pair of cabins - I just wanted to be close to the pool deck since we spend a lot of time there.
They use carts that roll day and night above the cabin. They're used for towels, linens, band equipment, you name it. The carts roll very early in the morning as well as during the day as bars and areas are re-stocked. This goes on every day and night of the cruise. The sound can be like thunder. It's your decision but I'd book a cabin on a lower deck or Marina deck below Lido deck cabins. Edited by Pam in CA

First, most balconies can be seen from other balconies or the security cameras that focus on the sides of the ship. I waved to the bridge crew each day from our last Regal balcony and they waved back. I'm sure they have seen plenty ;) I would not consider any balcony totally out of view by someone.

Second, since the sea walks have a glass floor, might there not also be a privacy issue in the other direction? I know the sea walk floor has some texture, but it is see through. Ladies might want to think twice walking the sea walk wearing a skirt.

Edited by Musky Ike

Thanks, caribill. I hope that's the case. I tried searching the forum & googling the cabin number but wasn't coming up with anything. I guess I can always take earplugs just in case.

Sure! Bring your earplugs but even sound cancelling headphones didn't help. Even earplugs AND sound cancelling headphones didn't work! Pam mentioned the word THUNDER. I agree! The whole room would shake from the thumping crashing and banging. A deaf person couldn't stay on Marina deck. They would feel the noise.