zika travel alert

martini girl

We are cruising on the Reflection on sat and we have gotten 2 emails from celebrity about the zika virus travel alert. Is anyone concerned about this?

I got the emails as well. Only real concern is for pregnant women or women who plan to or are trying to get pregnant in the near future. Unless that's anyone in your party, I wouldn't be concerned. Just bring some bug spray & you'll be fine.

We are also sailing on Sat. and we will be taking repellent with us but we don't plan on spending a lot of time outside in the evening when the mosquito's are the worst. Plus my SO is past time to become pregnant and from the Celebrity e-mail those are the ones to be concerned the most. Are you on our Roll Call?

Hope to see you on the ship.

J.

Edited by jsf

We are cruising on the Reflection on sat and we have gotten 2 emails from celebrity about the zika virus travel alert. Is anyone concerned about this?

Not us. Been advised by Celebrity and the media who are at high risk and what precautions to take. Bon Voyage and enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

We just got off the Reflection on Saturday. We had received the same emails, texts, phone calls prior to our trip. We did bring spray but never used it, nor did I even see one mosquito. :)

We are also sailing on Sat. and we will be taking repellent with us but we don't plan on spending a lot of time outside in the evening when the mosquito's are the worst. Plus my SO is past time to become pregnant and from the Celebrity e-mail those are the ones to be concerned the most. Are you on our Roll Call?

Hope to see you on the ship.

J.

Agree with all said - unless pregnant not an issue, but the particular mosquito involved is active all day. If it is breezy they do not fly. Zika is endemic in everyplace from Mexico south except Chile.

I just got off the Equinox on Friday. I never saw a mosquito during our cruise which included the ports of Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama, Cartagena, and Grand Cayman. Even in the jungle in Costa Rica we were problem free. I had bug spray and cream, but I never needed to use it.

If you are traveling to some of these warm places, one should keep in mind that other viruses are more dangerous for the average person. Specifically Chikungunya and Dengue fever. You may not die, but you may feel pretty awful for the length of your cruise. Even Zika virus can make you feel miserable for a few days (although it is the least likely to hurt you or make you feel sick unless you are a part of the pregnancy crowd). It is smart to bring and use mosquito spray anytime you are out and about in mosquito areas like forests or flower gardens, hiking, etc.., while on the islands and other areas south of the US. Just common sense.

We saw PLENTY of mosquitoes in Cartagena, Colombia recently. This variety of mossie is active during the day.

Can you be more specific about time of day and where u saw them in Cartagena? wonder if there is a specific season skeeters there? I attract them wherever I go and worry abt the other illneses like GB.....our cruise to Cartagena, Panama, Costa Rica is not til next Jan so hoping it'll all die out before then,,,

Warnings on our local T V have recently included men whose female partners may become pregnant..and their time period was longer...but have not read or heard more abt that..

Can you be more specific about time of day and where u saw them in Cartagena? wonder if there is a specific season skeeters there? I attract them wherever I go and worry abt the other illneses like GB.....our cruise to Cartagena, Panama, Costa Rica is not til next Jan so hoping it'll all die out before then,,,

Warnings on our local T V have recently included men whose female partners may become pregnant..and their time period was longer...but have not read or heard more abt that..

We didn't go too far as I was on crutches. Just off the ship there is a beautiful treed little area with parrots and monkeys and flamingoes. The mosquitos were in full force. It was a shame as it would have been nice just to sit on the benches and stay for awhile but despite not having any of risk of pregnancy I was feeling miserable enough as it was and I didn't fancy picking up anything else.

We didn't go too far as I was on crutches. Just off the ship there is a beautiful treed little area with parrots and monkeys and flamingoes. The mosquitos were in full force. It was a shame as it would have been nice just to sit on the benches and stay for awhile but despite not having any of risk of pregnancy I was feeling miserable enough as it was and I didn't fancy picking up anything else.

Thanks...not great news, as that little nature area sounds like a nice spot...hard to spray if wildlife is nearby...we use an organic granular product here but may actually spay our yard this year...if the mosquitos range expands . Personal sprays are good but if the area is heavily infested not always effective,....we had that in Belize a few yrs ago at the Mayan ruins.

hope you are recuperating and off crutches soon!

Edited by hcat