Concierge canapés

DaisyFire

Onboard constellation now and was told by my stateroom attendant that head not able to bring me a cheese plate instead of the canapés - thought could order from room service if I liked. It's been several years since I've sailed, so perhaps the rules have changed - but I did see someone else down the corridor getting one delivered (not sure if it was their attendant or room service). So perhaps this all depends on your attendants interpretation/adherence to the rules?

To the OP - A cheese plate is available on the room service menu. The attendant could probably get one but not sure they could find the time. They would need to order it from room service. It would not be part of their canape layout.

To the OP - A cheese plate is available on the room service menu. The attendant could probably get one but not sure they could find the time. They would need to order it from room service. It would not be part of their canape layout.

That's the difference between a "great" stateroom attendant and an "average" stateroom attendant. The great stateroom attendant would find a way to take care of you and ensure you get your cheese plate in lieu of the crappy canapés that are delivered. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Ask for the cheese plate. If it's delivered, maybe an extra gratuity above the normal gratuity would be in order.

The first thing we do when we meet our stateroom attendant is to give him a tip right away. 99% of the time they are more than willing to get you what you want and are definitely more attentive for the whole week (not to say they wouldn't be anyway). We have always asked for a cheese plate instead of the dreaded canapes and have had no problems receiving it. ;)

That's the difference between a "great" stateroom attendant and an "average" stateroom attendant. The great stateroom attendant would find a way to take care of you and ensure you get your cheese plate in lieu of the crappy canapés that are delivered. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Ask for the cheese plate. If it's delivered, maybe an extra gratuity above the normal gratuity would be in order.

It does not sound like the stateroom attendant is willing to accomodate her. I hate to hear this as I told my friends who are in a CC room that they may order a cheese plate instead of the canapes. I guess I better hope they don't have the same attendant as OP when we cruise on SATURDAY. Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Marie

We like the afternoon canapes (I know we are in the minority). However, sometimes we will order the cheese plate for variety and our stateroom attendant has always cheerfully complied.

We like the afternoon canapés, too! We've sometimes ordered the cheese plate from room service, but never thought to ask our attendant to bring with, or instead of, the usual.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do you still need to fill out the form requesting that the plates be delivered? In the past we've had success with requesting a cheese plate or "no olives" on that form to make sure we received something we'd enjoy. When it was the cheese plate it looked like the regular room service version.

Pre tipping, bribing or whatever else you want to call it WORKS....I usually pre tip $20 which is what I would have given them anyway so why not give it right up front so THEY KNOW who appreciates them and basic human nature takes over so they take extra good care of us....

I'm a pescatarian and while I've never asked specifically for a cheese plate, I've had no problem getting meat free canapés. These have included cheese, olives, veggie kabobs, shrimp, sushi etc. All it took was a mention to room steward. They were delicious.

It does not to me as well......so, we are doing pre tipping....tipping when the service happens...and tipping at the end of the cruise.....oh...I forgot....the auto tipping as well.....jeeze

Bribing, or pre-tipping doesn't feel right to me....

I totally agree with pre-tipping. The room stewards face too many people with bad attitudes, and entitlement issues. I want to let them know ahead of time that I am reasonable, appreciative, and looking to have a great vacation with no issues. I also think its important to let them know that I am not some greedy tourist trying to take advantage of the hospitality industry by finding loopholes to get things for free.

Edited by boatlover19

So let me get this right, anyone who pre-tips is "reasonable, appreciative, and looking to have a great vacation with no issues " and if you don't pre-tip you're a greedy tourist trying to take advantage of the hospitality industry and get things for free. ...even though tips are added automatically, and lots of people, myself included, tip extra to those people who made our vacation a little more special....wow. ..so now I realize all these years of cruising I've been doing it wrong or maybe I was just lucky to have wonderful service without PRE-TIPPING...

Edited by queenofcruise

So let me get this right, anyone who pre-tips is "reasonable, appreciative, and looking to have a great vacation with no issues " and if you don't pre-tip you're a greedy tourist trying to take advantage of the hospitality industry and get things for free. ...even though tips are added automatically, and lots of people, myself included, tip extra to those people who made our vacation a little more special....wow. ..so now I realize all these years of cruising I've been doing it wrong or maybe I was just lucky to have wonderful service without PRE-TIPPING...

I don't think that is what anyone is saying - at least I don't look at it like that. I do give my cabin steward a "pre-tip" if you want to call it that on the first day. But I don't even think its a "pre" As soon as I meet my cabin steward I ask them for a few things - extra pillows, extra hangers, ask for ice twice a day - just let them know how I like things for my trip. They tell me they will be happy to handle - and then I hand them my tip. A few weeks ago my attendant tried to hand it back! I insisted that she keep it and told her it was for my special requests. No bribe - just an ordinary tip for doing extra for me. Then at the end of the cruise I give extra if I felt they had given me great service - including the regular tips that are left on my account.

I understand everyone has different ways of looking at this issue. I just don't happen to look at it as bribing someone for service later on in my trip - but as a "thank you for taking care of the things I am asking for now as I may not be in the room when you bring or do them".

Tipping is a personal preference and you should continue to do what makes you happy - but I personally take offense at someone saying that I am trying to bribe someone! Happy Cruising!

I'm just stating my opinions and reasons for pre-tipping the cabin stewards. If your system works for you by all means stick with it. I do however, stand by my belief that pre-tipping shows an immediate appreciation for the hard work of the cabin stewards. Additionally, I think some cruisers come with serious entitlement issues because the gratuities are added automatically.

I never pre-tip and always get outstanding service. Never had a problem getting anything I've asked for, within reason.

If you ask for a cheese plate in lieu of the standard afternoon canapes, and the stateroom attendant give you any sh!t, just tell 'em you've got it on previous cruises, so you're going to address this issue with the Hotel Director. I guarantee you will get your cheese plate. :rolleyes: