Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Did I hear our good captain promise to throw the Greek officer overboard if we don't get the better weather he predicted for tomorrow? :D

Nasty weather from the Beautiful, Elegant Westerdam.

Hoping to hear that today is much improved. For your sake, not just for the Greek officer, LOL.

Hoping to hear that today is much improved. For your sake, not just for the Greek officer, LOL.

Out on the balcony LIzzie. It's still dark but the wind sure is whipping. I have a very bad feeling that there was no need for a wake up call. Time will tell very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out on the balcony LIzzie. It's still dark but the wind sure is whipping. I have a very bad feeling that there was no need for a wake up call. Time will tell very soon.

:eek: :mad:

sorry to hear this as the sun has FINALLY returned to my part of Canada and we can see the garden growing! Your pool pictures yesterday reminded me of the Westerdam Lido pool between San Diego and Victoria last year. DS wanted to swim but I wouldn't let him but it never closed either.

:eek: :mad:

sorry to hear this as the sun has FINALLY returned to my part of Canada and we can see the garden growing! Your pool pictures yesterday reminded me of the Westerdam Lido pool between San Diego and Victoria last year. DS wanted to swim but I wouldn't let him but it never closed either.

We have arrived. The cove/bay we are in is somewhat protected and calmer. Tenders are out for testing. They are bopping for sure but it is calmer here. If I don't report back, you will know we got off. LOL.

A gloomy morning here in Rarotonga.

72f9b58dfa225d519430c85f653d8146.jpg

But it looks like the sun is trying to come out.

79467300d157db9c858e351f6962d0d8.jpg

Second tender on our side is down. Can it be? Is it possible? Fingers crossed.

Those tenders are really bouncing around

e132900676e14702eedebbdb5912113a.jpg

9108c4f09281c573ae196c6207322054.jpg

44e3465bc505c8a768d57211d3954a4c.jpg

8f4f47ba5a18b87bd5e80e6e7edc52fb.jpg

https://vimeo.com/163166691

Sorry, I tried to upload a video but don't think it worked. Might be my internet so I will leave it in case it does for all of you.

Captain has changed position to try to give the tenders some protection but with the way the ship is moving, I think it is hard to hold position?

Edited by kazu

They are lowering another tender so it looks like we could be a go. It's going to be a bumpy ride. I think the ship is closer to shore than we were originally told - at least I hope so. No announcement yet.

So, in the meantime - here is the On Location for today..

cde0d530dc698f345c1384ffba60f84c.jpg

98a3b5e6af4c40e0e9825e13661edd9e.jpg

186ac4f9736e1c9e2f9b2bb769a33855.jpg

RAROTONGA IS CANCELLED.

WE ARE ON THE CRUISE TO NOWHERE.

Captain has tried everything and gotten the ship as close as he could but it is too dangerous. They are attempting a medical disembarkation and then we are leaving. Ship cannot hold anchor. Captain has tried everything and stretched the ship's capabilities as much as he can.

Sincere apologies of course. It would be a rough trip for an able bodied person. I feel sorry for the person in the medical disembarkation. I've been watching that tender and it is really struggling.

Dear Captain,

If you are reading this thread, any chance we could get to Raiatea and overnight there? Please? Pretty, please?

Can't blame a girl for asking, can you?

Another glass of bubbly is in our future, it would appear. The tenders could not get through the opening to the pier. It must be very shallow where the reef crosses the opening. I guess all our donations will stay on board, too.

Here is tonight's menu

969a1dc0fe93e7995d855c2af79936ba.jpg

12244f2687c17b1adfad7b55ee99986d.jpg

Sun is coming out but the tenders are rocking.

This is all of Rarotonga that we will see...

75782551535ee18ea357e83ebf6cd401.jpg

There is a small motorboat that seems to be making its way out to us, perhaps to pick up the medical emergency. Also the officer of the watch has called for someone to go immediately to the medical room, perhaps the husband?

Oh no!! But better safe than sorry, and your video did work, Jacqui. How many days have you been at sea now?

This will be day 7 at sea.

NOW SOME GOOD NEWS!!!

Captain Van Eerten read my plea. He is contacting our next port of call to get permission to arrive a day early and overnight there. YAY!!!

He needs permission from immigration, the port, etc. But it is all in the works.

He so reminds me of Captain Gunderson in some respects as Capt. G did the same thing on the Prinsendam.

Fingers crossed. Our next port is Raiatea and we dock there so an overnight would be good. Have a private tour booked there with Bruno with what could become day 2 in Raiatea.

There is a small motorboat that seems to be making its way out to us, perhaps to pick up the medical emergency. Also the officer of the watch has called for someone to go immediately to the medical room, perhaps the husband?

That was my thought.

Raiatea was my favorite stop on our cruise in 2014. Lots of cultural significance and ruins if you like that kind of thing. Also the place where I bought all my vanilla :) We took a jeep tour through the interior and wish we had more time. If you are lucky enough to do an overnight, I envy you.

In case anyone thinks the captain is being cautious, here are a few more pics of the tenders.

65201121f112cc096d955d9abeb56577.jpg

b464ecc3e9b287b581cbeb23d9d1be85.jpg

d19c481ea9f7d364f087c3fd46cdff42.jpg

And a couple of videos (another attempt)

https://vimeo.com/163173210

https://vimeo.com/163173950

Medical evacuation was a success. They were met by ambulance and are being flown to Australia. It was the husband called (next door neighbours have a GFS) as he had gone back to the cabin for something that had been forgotten.

The additional tender was lowered as tender 11 lost an engine.

The donations for Fanning Island were off loaded successfully here. It was quite the deal to find an island that would accept them as Customs did not want to be bothered on many islands. San Diego refused to store them for another ship to deliver.

The Red Cross here has taken the items. Some things will go to other islands in need but some of them will get to Fanning Island.

Captain is going to cruise around this island to give us a glimpse of it.

We are going to arrive in Raiatea around 9 pm but I'm not sure if that is tonight or tomorrow night. Since we had a sea day between here and Raiatea, I am guessing it is tomorrow night.

Medical emergency at pier.

6df050610e65b6649cc67f041479e0e7.jpg

Intrepid lifeboat 16 maneuvering through the gap.

f3c79829c2f4ef95b037cd733d6aa814.jpg

Great pics Ann!!! You must have a great telescopic lens!

This is a port that is so often missed! Better than ending up on a reef, though, as has happened in the past!

Thought you were going to make it, but Raietea is a great place and you can dock there with ease. Hope you get an overnight.

Your Captain is really super!

This is a port that is so often missed! Better than ending up on a reef, though, as has happened in the past!

Thought you were going to make it, but Raietea is a great place and you can dock there with ease. Hope you get an overnight.

Your Captain is really super!

Yes, being stranded on a reef may not have been the best experience with the winds and currents out there today.

I have a lot of respect for our captain. He is a professional.