Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

I would be thrilled to sail with this Captain! One of the small group of really good Captains who make HAL look good.

I know it comes down to personality and attitude (outgoing, conscientious, affable, professional), but HAL should clone this guy, or at least coming up with a training film on "How to be a HAL Captain".

Thanks for he great photos, Kazu!

Here is the On Location from yesterday - the 27th - our crossing the equator celebration day

60d70dcb4137bfc37dc048d736019a38.jpg

2eb6be43ce4d90f4a77fc994efaaca23.jpg

a5f4349d1a8178582c8685e5fa380657.jpg

Why do all the good things have tho happen at the same time?? LOL.

Walk around the World with wines was the same time as the Crossing the Equator!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to admit to not being overly enamoured of the "new" Lido. It's just alright, as far as I'm concerned. Breakfast is about the same as it ever was, so that's fine. I like being served coffee and juice promptly. At lunch, the "carvery" concept seems popular, and there are lines for the hot food, but I prefer a small salad, and perhaps some cheese and crackers. I really, really miss the lovely seafood salads they used to have. I would make a salad but not put any dressing on it, then hunt out the seafood salad and a spoonful of that would be my dressing. Now there are only little plates of Greek stuff:

e8227f8f6135d1fa3dce9527196c1fc1.jpg

Almost five weeks of stuffed grape leaves is a bit much! (As I typed that that I wondered if I could eat seafood salad for five weeks, and I think I could!). I also enjoyed the way they used to serve the cheese much more. I can understand why the are using small plates, it must save a lot of waste, but there are some cheeses I don't like, and now you're stuck with their selection:

61bee5ec1c4affe6bb1cc67608643e1c.jpg

And dinner - we very seldom eat dinner in the Lido, only if we have had a special lunch, or if we've had a long day ashore and just want something light and easy. We liked to be able to have an appetizer or two and a dessert. Now there are no more appetizers, just perhaps a small fruit cocktail, and there may be a soup or two, but they are after the hot food section, which means you have to wait in a long line with all the people who are getting full meals and wait your turn for a server. No fun!

But that's just me, and there certainly are people who are enjoying it.

That's it for salad? Wow :( disappointing, and I like hummus and stuffed grape leaves. But that's the lunch time salad offering? Any hope that it is because of the ports that were missed, so regular "salad fixins' " could not be replenished?

I'm also sorry to read your report on the suppertime offerings in the Lido :(

There was the regular salad area where crew make your salads for you. They have the same items everyday -- tomatoes, cucumbers, little tiny bites of ham and turkey, hard boiled eggs -- nothing special.

The area where they had the cheese board with several big chunks of cheese is gone. Also the fruit and seafood salads are gone. Instead we had small plates of 3 kinds of cheese -- tiny bites -- no stiffed grapes. There were also tiny plates of a few fresh fruits cut up -- barely a couple of spoonful.

Over near the pre-made sandwiches, there were 4 long plates -- 3 kinds of apples and one of either oranges or bananas.

That's it for salad? Wow :( disappointing, and I like hummus and stuffed grape leaves. But that's the lunch time salad offering? Any hope that it is because of the ports that were missed, so regular "salad fixins' " could not be replenished?

I'm also sorry to read your report on the suppertime offerings in the Lido :(

The salad toppings are Quinte extensive CP. You can also ask to have your dressing on the side. I'll post a pic of it for you shortly.

I miss the seafood salad though, too.

I'd also like to be able to choose my cheeses. I don't eat everything on the cheese plate, so I hesitate to take one as it is such a waste.

Thanks, Ann for the salad report. I must admit this is one thing that is concerning me for my cruise, given both negative and positive reports. I like my lunchtime salad, and enjoyed making my own.

I know some people really like it Lizzie. I was hesitant as I like to make my own as well, but they will add as much or as little of each thing as you want.

Sometimes I get some toppings from the taco bar and make my salad and then get a few things from them ;)

But today, we are not worried about that as we have our roll call group PG luncheon. Always a nice thing to do on a sea day IMO :)

Here is yesterday's dinner menu...

5ba889cf7c2108865e89d155a3bf7f6c.jpg

18d5499dcb446a92db1468f07fe68111.jpg

Happy to report that DH and I are no longer polliwogs - LOL

ebba50d840fcdae92e877d8ddf90782a.jpg

Well, I hate to report it, but what started out as a nice day has turned to a rainy one. {sigh}

Hi Kazu, I'm sorry to trouble you again with my question, but did you ever hear from others on your roll call as to whether Anton is still the cabin steward on deck 5, all the way aft? He works independently, and is extremely efficient and helpful.Thank you so much. I'm particularly enjoying your cruise review because we were on Westerdam ourselves for 4 weeks last year, and recognize many of the onboard team members:)

Don't you just love Mario? We were fortunate to have him as our CD on the Niew Amsterdam T/A in 2014; would love to have him on the Eurodam for our next crossing this fall. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for taking the time ad energy to keep us aprised of your days and nights onboard

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Internet woes again - our trusty cruisers are back to only having facebook and messenger again. The front desk has finally admitted that the internet has been down for 24 hours and it is not the fault of the device being used by the passengers.:rolleyes:

Hello. I have spent a few wonderful hours reading through this thread. I love the photos and the dedication of the posters letting us know about all the good events (and some disappointments).

We are joining the cruise in Vancouver for the voyage to Seattle. It is our "Sister Cruise Extravaganza". From Seattle we will fly to LA, for 3 nights in Disneyland. A 4 night cruise on the Coral Princess will bring us home to Vancouver.

We're looking forward to joining those of you who will stay on the Westerdam for the cruise to Seattle.

I know some people really like it Lizzie. I was hesitant as I like to make my own as well, but they will add as much or as little of each thing as you want.

Sometimes I get some toppings from the taco bar and make my salad and then get a few things from them ;)

But today, we are not worried about that as we have our roll call group PG luncheon. Always a nice thing to do on a sea day IMO :)

I wonder if the small plates are a different way round avoiding Noro? Less people dipping in to large bowls of salad or cutting their own pieces of cheese. It's probably more hygienic.

Hi Kazu, I'm sorry to trouble you again with my question, but did you ever hear from others on your roll call as to whether Anton is still the cabin steward on deck 5, all the way aft? He works independently, and is extremely efficient and helpful.Thank you so much. I'm particularly enjoying your cruise review because we were on Westerdam ourselves for 4 weeks last year, and recognize many of the onboard team members:)

It's no trouble. I am going to ask at the meet and greet today to see if anyone has him. Will post later IF the Internet is working.

Kazu, you can always see if Kainoa still knits. My DW and him would share knitting tips, etc.

I haven't seen him knitting so far.

I am going to HOPE this posts.

Internet woes again - our trusty cruisers are back to only having facebook and messenger again. The front desk has finally admitted that the internet has been down for 24 hours and it is not the fault of the device being used by the passengers.:rolleyes:

Thanks for sending out the alert Lizzie. We are not ignoring the thread but frustrated from over 24 hours of no internet. It's very sporadic, not sure how long it will last but I will see if tap a talk will work and try to post pics.

Hello. I have spent a few wonderful hours reading through this thread. I love the photos and the dedication of the posters letting us know about all the good events (and some disappointments).

We are joining the cruise in Vancouver for the voyage to Seattle. It is our "Sister Cruise Extravaganza". From Seattle we will fly to LA, for 3 nights in Disneyland. A 4 night cruise on the Coral Princess will bring us home to Vancouver.

We're looking forward to joining those of you who will stay on the Westerdam for the cruise to Seattle.

We'll miss you as we are getting off in Vancouver. A lot of roll call members are but there are some staying on until Seattle.

Internet is really bad. I don't know how long and if it will work but here are the On Location and dinner menus for yesterday.

3a38b4fdcd7904cf9b8edb400938772d.jpg

a75f91556149b74adb0e349f448d9dcb.jpg

ef81450e73fe87d7a1f999ae1ce62b5c.jpg

cf63af983b5fb2348e2d103def420c29.jpg

67c8093d329631ae65f3471dbe26b165.jpg

There was a bit of motion to the ocean yesterday.

Captain Van Eerten said that the stabilizers were on and working well (he likes to say that when there is motion to the ocean).

There was a slight change today since we were going to encounter more motion to the ocean. Our captain said he was going to pull the stabilizers in/turn them off as we were eating our soup in the dining room and that way we would know that they were really on. LOL.