Should we get passports?

OCMama

My husband & I have yet to get passports. We just haven't needed them for where we travel. We're doing the southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan this July. From everything I've read, it appears we still don't need them. A friend of mine is encouraging me to get them because "it's always good to have". What are your opinions on this? That $300 could buy a good amount of umbrella drinks.

They are good for 10 years.

The advantage is that should something happen on the cruise and you needed to fly home from a port that is not part of the USA you would need a passport.

While not necessary if all goes well I would recommend it.

Keith

It is something you don't need until you do. If something came up that you needed them it would cost you way more than what they would cost now.

But it is sort of like insurance. You can chance not having it and probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You two are absolutely right! My dad has been ill and if God forbid anything were to happen, I would want to get home ASAP.

In this case, I would definitely spend the money for the passports. We use our when going to Canada but never needed them on a cruise but it does provide peace of mind if something was to happen and we had to fly home.

You don't have to, but you should. It's just prudent whenever you travel outside the US no matter the circumstances.

Comparing the cost of passports against the cost of fruity cocktails does make the choice more difficult. Only you know from which you'll get more benefit. :D

You two are absolutely right! My dad has been ill and if God forbid anything were to happen, I would want to get home ASAP.

Then it might be prudent for you to get them as it will minimize delay in getting home if something happens to him.

Based on this I would most definitely get the passports.

Remember good for 10 years.

Keith

Very simple. Everyone who travels outside the US should have a passport. There is no downside.

Sorry, I don't agree because everyone has different travel needs. I know several people whose only travel is into Canada frequently and they get by just fine with an Enhanced Drivers License or Passport card. For years our only travel was on a closed loop cruise every year or two and we determined that the risk for us was low enough that we could use birth certificates/government issued IDs until the day came when we could travel internationally by air. Passports are great and they are the best travel document to have but there are alternatives available.

My husband & I have yet to get passports. We just haven't needed them for where we travel. We're doing the southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan this July. From everything I've read, it appears we still don't need them. A friend of mine is encouraging me to get them because "it's always good to have". What are your opinions on this? That $300 could buy a good amount of umbrella drinks.

Use the $300 on umbrella drinks, you do not NEED a passport for your itinerary. You can always get a passport at a later date if you desire.

AFA comments saying you HAVE to have one if you need to travel home, that's BS. As long as you have a photo ID and a BC, customs and immigration will let you into your home country.

Edited by LostPuppy

Very simple. Everyone who travels outside the US should have a passport. There is no downside.

Of course there is a downside. You spend $300 plus for two passports you may not need (absent an emergency).

I wholeheartedly agree that having passports is a good idea. Much in the same way I believe in trip insurance. It's a cost that I am happy to incur "just in case." Besides, the cost in a once-in-ten-years cost. It's only that first time it seems like a lot.

But, to act like it isn't a real cost is not realistic. Especially if you don't intend to do a lot of international traveling. It is not "required". But, it is certainly advisable.

Use the $300 on umbrella drinks, you do not NEED a passport for your itinerary. You can always get a passport at a later date if you desire.

AFA comments saying you HAVE to have one if you need to travel home, that's BS. As long as you have a photo ID and a BC, customs and immigration will let you into your home country.

You are correct on a closed loop cruise, but if OP has an emergency and needs to get back to the U.S. (by air) this is what is says.

According to U.S. Customs and Border protection web site, Air Travel: All U.S. citizens departing from or entering the U.S. from within the Western Hemisphere by air are required to present a valid passport. That's why cruise lines highly recommended you have a passport, even on a closed loop cruise.

I don't know if it is a coincidence, when I use my Passport for ID to check in at the airport, I get put in the pre check line. When I use my Drivers License, I go in the regular line. Most likely a coincidence but I have wondered about this.

It is money well spent. Get a passport. You will not regret doing it. As someone else said, it is like insurance, you only need it when you need it. :)

No need to get a passport. Don't let the cheerleaders guilt you into getting passports. You're the one that has to pay for it, not them.

Really?? Hardly a cheerleader guilting anything. But IMO passports trump all other ID for travel and are very easy and convenient to use. Would rather carry a Passport than a birth certificate and other valid picture ID for boarding. Yes there is a cost to consider but in our case with a 10 year valid life span the Passport is our preference.

Again - personal preference - just as with the other responses.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Look at $300 for a passport as $30 a year as they are good for 10 years. That's only two good drinks. Getting a passport can be well worth it. We have renewed ours once and I think renewing them was less than getting a new one.

And in more than 100 cruises, we have never taken them off the ship- they stay locked up. The ship's security can open your safe if needed and you're not on board.

Would a passport card work for your itinerary? It is much cheaper

A passport card will allow them to take any closed loop cruise. The problem is that the card will NOT allow them to fly from a foreign country to the US. For that they would need a passport book. This would entail getting to a US consulate applying and waiting for it to be processed and issued. This can take several days to several weeks.

Would a passport card work for your itinerary? It is much cheaper

A passport card is a total waste of money unless you travel across the borders freq.

You cannot fly with it so you really have nothing more than a dl and id.

It is something you don't need until you do. If something came up that you needed them it would cost you way more than what they would cost now.

But it is sort of like insurance. You can chance not having it and probably be fine.

Simply not true about the cost.. It doesn't change, however if you have to get one while you are away the aggravation factor does increase dramatically. Just remember that a US citizen is not going to be denied entry back into the US without a passport, there are just more hoops to jump through.