Would you prefer delayed boarding so cabins are ready?

MustangGT

Our cruising friends boarded the Royal Princess today for 20 days, we will join them on the second 10-day segment. Can't wait!!

They let us know that cabins were not ready when they boarded today.

There have been several mentions of this on CC and I just wonder -

Would you prefer that Princess delayed boarding until all cabins are ready?

I have always loved that when I boarded a Princess ship, cabins were ready and we could head there right away.

Some have said it's no big deal because you can drop off your carry-ons and go on about the rest of your day. Others have said that doors are closed and cabins are not accessible.

Thoughts?

I want to board ASAP. I don't care if the cabin is ready or not.

I just think Princess is trying to cut back on there help. They must have cut the staff ( Cabin Stewards ) Is there any one that think otherwise? If it's the hotel manager then why is it happening on other Princess ships???

Tony

I am skeptical that this is a general issue. Stewards are paid from the gratuities and very little else . The gratuity rates continue to go up (and that's OK with me) but why would they eliminate staff that they are not paying for ? In the third world these are highly coveted jobs so it is not like Princess has to increase their earnings by giving them more cabins .

Perhaps this is a Royal class issue where there just isn't enough room for staff accommodations .

We will be on The Regal an sailing Princess for the first time Next week, an I personally hope their isn't a issue with boarding an entering our room( to at least drop our carry-ons off).. I've been on a dozen cruises, with 3 other lines an have never not been allowed to go to my room to drop off my carry On even if it wasn't fully ready.. When I travel I ALWAYS keep my medications for my Type 2 Diabetes with me in a carry on, so I have insulin, an the supplies for my Insulin Pod, that I prefer to store first thing, also jewelry an my electronics. It will be quite the inconvenience to me, my husband, an mom if we're all forced to carry all our carry-ons around for a long period of time. Can Any on Clear up if we would be allowed to at least drop bags off, were on Deck 12, & plan to go to the Port between 11 & noon!?!

In Port Everglades a little over 2 years ago, we had to wait until noon to board the ship. Then when we went back later that year, they were allowing earlier boarding but there was a note at the check in that said your room may not be available until 1 to allow for earlier boarding.

I much preferred getting on the ship to sitting in the cruise terminal waiting.

Notes:

- the note was sitting on the check-in counter, but I don't believe that it was ever announced, so many people did not know about it

- after stopping for cookies at the International Cafe, we went up to our room, the door was still open; however, the room steward said that our room was really done.

Would you prefer that Princess delayed boarding until all cabins are ready?

I have always loved that when I boarded a Princess ship, cabins were ready and we could head there right away.

If you view your cabin not being ready when you board as an issue, this is an issue you can remedy yourself - simply arrive later. What am I missing here?

and HAL even services room service breakfast of eggs, plus, on the last morning to cabins... wonder how they do it????

Their ships are MUCH smaller. Back when Princess ships were the size of HAL's, this was the norm on Princess, too. And, even though it was possible to continue to do so, they stopped so that they would have consistency in service across the fleet.

The only time I haven't arrived on a Princess ship and had my room ready have been on the Royal and Regal. On the Regal, the fire doors were closed to the staterooms by the elevator bays. i didn't hear an announcement about this and was one of the very first to board and only one door was closed by the elevators I came up. I realized when I walked into the hallway that not all the cabins were ready. I went to my stateroom, put down my stuff and left. My room was mostly ready, but I got out of their way. An announcement was made within 15-30 minutes of boarding (and again i was literally among the very first on) that all rooms were ready. No big deal, and not really typical of Princess. I think the new ships are just enough bigger and the stewards are stretched just thin enough that it's not always possible to turn everything on time, every time.

I would rather get on the ship early even if the cabins are not ready. Sitting in the checkin area is much worse than sitting on the lido deck having lunch or a drink. I've gotten on before when the doors were closed or staff were directing passengers to the lido deck for lunch.

IMO - Having cabins ready upon boarding is definitely a HUGE PRINCESS PLUS & (Royal + Regal) for example (for most arrivals) at PEV are NOW arriving 1-2 hours earlier than in previous years. Yes - these are somewhat bigger ships but only by about 500+ full capacity passenger count. Princess should keep (their) "Cabins Ready" Marketing Advantage. Not good waiting around as with RCCL, etc., for cabin availability. Not a good way to start a cruise for new/existing customers.

Last year going back to RCI, had to wait until 1:00 p.m., not a huge deal but I was onboard before 11:30. I ate lunch, looked around, dragging my carry on, and there weren't many places to sit as everyone was waiting!

I had read about 1:00 p.m. and they do stick to it. Vision is a small ship, with the newer, big ships I get it but a small one, seemed a little over the top. The cruise was great, no complaints but the 1:00 p.m. thing, not a plus.

Princess has the edge because I've always been able to go right to my cabin. Cruising for 30+ years, six different cruise lines, last year was the first time I had to wait.

I've only been on a few cruises but the room has NEVER been ready. Why would I care? We eat lunch and explore. I think it would be detrimental to block everyone until all cabins are ready. As many have already stated - if you want your room to be ready upon boarding, get there as late as you can.

No way! I want on board as soon as possible. I would board now, if I could, even though I don't go until August. :D

The carry-ons for us fit in a small backpack that I am willing to wear until we manage to wander to our cabin. It is always better to be aboard the ship, exploring and meeting new people than be cooped up in a stuffy waiting room with nothing to do.

We don't really *need* our cabin until it is time to change for dinner.

Why? We get on,we hand the keys to the Captain, go up to the upper deck and stay out of the Stewards way, let them work. We have a nice leisurely lunch and visit the ship. When we get to the cabin, we rest, do the boat drill and then we are in Cruise mode. Cruise Lines have worked out a tremendous amount of Logistics for the hours they are in port. That includes loading Passengers, food, water, fuel your toilet paper, luggage and a myriad of things no one thinks of. I think it's perfect and I don't mind waiting in line to get on. It's all part of the excitement. We were delayed on RCCL but the ship was late reaching port due to a storm so not their fault.

Edited by WupperAV

We have encountered truly delayed boarding once - for a thorough cleaning due to noro. And we hated the mess in the terminal.

I am all for boarding asap, the rooms have always been ready, part of our routine is lunch in the dining room - it marks the start of our cruise. So no, let's just get on board, drop off the carry-on, stow valuables in the safe and have a nice relaxing lunch.

I don't know why people think only Princess allows early access to their cabins. We've never waited to access our cabins when cruising with HAL and they, too, use it as a selling point. Another cruise line that we have used will pull resources from other areas of the ship to help the room stewards finish up on embarkation days.
We've had to wait for our cabin to be ready on a couple of HAL cruises when we embarked as soon as possible. They had the fire doors closed and made an announcement when the cabins were ready. Ours still wasn't really ready on our first Westerdam cruise. We had to point out trash on the balcony to our cabin steward and asked for him to vacuum as well.

• 2 weeks later...
In Nov. we went on a Cruise with RCI and were reminded of the 1pm rule, it was out of Venice so a lot of early arrivals, and yes the doors were locked.

On our last cruise late Feb-Mar, MR on the Crown.

We were given a 1/2 sheet of paper at check in that stated our rooms would not be ready until 1pm.

Prior to this cruise I had read on CC about this change on some ships, so it played into my actions.

We boarded with one of the first groups around 11:30, once on the ship we were asked by 2 different staff members where our cabin was, but following the notice we received we sat by the IC got drink stickers, had a drink and waited for the dining room to open keeping our carry on with us. When we entered the dining room we were the only ones with our carry-on, evidently the cabins were opened, should have asked the staff when they addressed us about our cabin location.

We have had Aft cabins that have not been ready when we have boarded Princess in SP the last few years or so...no locked doors like RCI but just totally not ready...I personally would not leave any items that I value in a cabin that is still being cleaned. I trust the staff, it is the guests that I question:rolleyes:

This was the first time we had ever arrived in San Pedro so early usually we board around 1pm.

BTW we had the best room attendants ever, with Princess on the Crown in Feb and March.

When we went to Alaska on the Crown, some of our group got the note stating that their room won't be ready until 1PM. However, our room was ready. We dropped the luggage off and went off to eat.

When we went to Alaska on the Crown, some of our group got the note stating that their room won't be ready until 1PM. However, our room was ready. We dropped the luggage off and went off to eat.

When they hand out this note, it is usually to everyone as the check-in staff has no idea if a particular cabin is ready or not.