Unique payment problem

Eva 51

I am from Canada I booked a cruise for (September 7 days )in early March with a TA final payment is due on May 30. They'll accept credit card or debit only. I have a account in a Canadian bank with USA funds This is the money that I'd like to use. I don't want to be paying the exchange. They cannot for security reasons withdraw that money. I want to send them a certified cheque but they won't except that I do not want to purchase a us credit card that I will NEVER use again I have never in my life had a problem paying a bill I have always enjoyed planning my vacation it's part of the excitement I book guaranteed stateroom because I enjoy the thrill of being upgraded. It's fun to book the excursions (hope I don't have a problem with that). Now I'm so frustrated with this that I'm ready to cancel this trip all together Has anyone had a similar problem?

You have to purchase a USA credit card? I thought you just applied for credit cards?

Are you confusing a prepaid Visa card with a small activation fee with actually applying for a very usable now ....and again on your cruise.... revolving credit card?

Also you post your TA will accept debit so don't you have a debit card on the account you want to use? You say they take debit but then say they cannot withdraw the funds for security reasons.

What am I missing here or is your post missing something?

I'm curious as to how you have traveled in the past out of Canada or is this your first time?

Edited by luvtheships

Booking and paying by EU Visa and EU Mastercard in USD with a US based TA works verywell for us Europeans, yes we might loose and sometimes win on the exchange but the lower price is always a better one than any European TA.. it's part of the cost but we have a profit anyway.

Another option would be via Paypal if your TA/cruiseline accepts it? Paypal funds can be any currency.

It's fun to book the excursions (hope I don't have a problem with that).
You will have the same problem with excursion bookings, because they require the same forms of payment for those.

I'm with OzCanuck, get a bank card linked to your USD account. I'm not sure what you are able to do with this account without a card.

Otherwise ask NCL if they can convert your booking into CAD. I thought that was the cheapest option for Canadians anyway.

You have to purchase a USA credit card? I thought you just applied for credit cards?

I was thinking the same thing ;) We have a US funds CC thru our bank specifically for travel outside Canada. We use it quite a bit and just pay it off with our vacation fund.

I wouldn't pay for a CC, nor do I have CCs with annual fees either, no way.

The choice is yours Eva but if you get a CC thru your bank you'll have it for future travel too. Much easier than trying to pay with cheques.

Hope you end up enjoying your cruise.

I was thinking the same thing ;) We have a US funds CC thru our bank specifically for travel outside Canada. We use it quite a bit and just pay it off with our vacation fund.

I wouldn't pay for a CC, nor do I have CCs with annual fees either, no way.

The choice is yours Eva but if you get a CC thru your bank you'll have it for future travel too. Much easier than trying to pay with cheques.

Hope you end up enjoying your cruise.

I didn't think about the annual fee and maybe that's what the op was referring to

I'm with you and never pay an annual fee

Whatever bank this op is with probably has several credit card options anyway

The op isn't making sense to me especially when saying the ta takes debit cards but they can't debit the account.

Edited by luvtheships

The op isn't making sense to me especially when saying the ta takes debit cards but they can't debit the account.

I'm guessing because the debit card is like a credit card and if they were to debit the account, they would have to transfer money from the OP's account to theirs and some companies are not set up to do that.

Do you know anyone in the United States that you could send them a check and they can charge it on their card?
Most people in the US would have to pay bank fees to cash/deposit a check issued by a Canadian bank. Even if the check is in USD (no exchange fees), there are still foreign transaction fees.

But even ignoring the bank fees, that's a lot of inconvenience to impose on someone just so you can avoid a few fees on your side.

A credit card isn't just useful for payment, it can also provide payment protection and other card services (insurance, emergency assistance, etc.) But you usually can't get any of these benefits if it's someone else's card…

The op needs to get a credit card. Who fights the fact that credit cards are a needed item anyway?

The op is being silly

It looks like the OP is trying to avoid the inevitable bank fees. This cannot be avoided. Banks exist to make a profit.

You cannot expect to have the advantages of international commerce (being able to live in one country and book a cruise from another) without the disadvantage of someone making a profit out of you.

The security they offer is huge. How would you travel without a credit card?? Carrying wads of notes - which you still have to exchange anyway.

I don't work for a bank BTW. I am just a realist.

I am from Canada I booked a cruise for (September 7 days )in early March with a TA final payment is due on May 30. They'll accept credit card or debit only. I have a account in a Canadian bank with USA funds This is the money that I'd like to use. I don't want to be paying the exchange. They cannot for security reasons withdraw that money. I want to send them a certified cheque but they won't except that I do not want to purchase a us credit card that I will NEVER use again I have never in my life had a problem paying a bill I have always enjoyed planning my vacation it's part of the excitement I book guaranteed stateroom because I enjoy the thrill of being upgraded. It's fun to book the excursions (hope I don't have a problem with that). Now I'm so frustrated with this that I'm ready to cancel this trip all together Has anyone had a similar problem?

Fellow Canadian, here. I would definitely suggest getting a USD Credit Card through your bank. I have one that charges a fee, because it is a "points" card, but I am sure that they have a no fee card as well. We travel at least once a year (sometimes twice) to the US, and I use it all the time when down there. I love avoiding the huge fees that Canadian credit cards charge to exchange funds. It also means that we carry very little cash with us, which is nice. To pay it off, I simply go online and transfer from my US Savings to the card. :)

Why don't you apply for an NCL credit card? This gives you $100 OBC per person (my DH and I got separate ones) which was used ($200) in our final payment. This should make up for any bank charges.

Unfortunately, Canadians are not able to apply for an NCL credit card. :(

First, a couple of questions:

1) For clarity - you booked through a Canadian TA but in US dollars?

2) How did you pay for the deposit?

3) Is this a brick & mortar TA in Winnipeg or an online TA?

Now some suggestions:

1) I believe a business cannot refuse to take cash, so if you have a bricks and mortar TA, go to the bank, get US currency and hand deliver it (this won't help with anything you book on the NCL site for excursions, etc).

2) As many have suggested sign up for a low fee US funds CC (if your bank allows a US savings account they should offer a US CC, if not there are many that do), there is one with a $35 annual fee that is waived in any year you charge over $1K to it - assuming your cruise fits the bill just cancel it when you're done.

3) Phone around to other local TAs to find one that's easier to work with and cancel and rebook with them.

4) Cancel and rebook the Canadian at Par deal with NCL if it applies to your sailing and then all of your transactions will be in CAD$ including any on the NCL site.

Finally - don't let your TA ruin the experience for you!

Happy cruising,

csm

I have a US bank account at a local TD Canada Trust branch. If you don't have a bank account with them, hopefully there is one in your area. Transfer your US bank account to them and then apply for a US charge card as others have suggested. I do not pay ANY bank charges on my US Visa, and ALWAYS pay it in full BEFORE the due date, and therefore, pay no interest. You do have options, and time is on your side. As others have stated, HOW DID YOU PAY YOUR DEPOSIT FOR THE CRUISE???:rolleyes:

Um I think you mean ACCEPT... :D It would seem the easiest thing to do is get a debt card form that Canuck bank and use that. BTW you do not have to PURCHASE credit cards...

1) I believe a business cannot refuse to take cash, so if you have a bricks and mortar TA, go to the bank, get US currency and hand deliver it (this won't help with anything you book on the NCL site for excursions, etc).

Actually a business CAN refuse cash. Many rental car companies will not accept cash for example.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my op. Yes the TA is a American company. I paid my deposit with my Canadian credit card but now I want to pay final payment in US funds. TA exact words. Certified bank check that is drawn from US bank and is in US funds. I guess I'm ticked because I always believed that a certified check was as good as cash. Payment due May 30 I still do not want the credit card but may have NO choice

Um I think you mean ACCEPT... :D It would seem the easiest thing to do is get a debt card form that Canuck bank and use that. BTW you do not have to PURCHASE credit cards...

I think you meant "debit"...:D

BTW it is against the TOS to correct someones spelling, so now we are both in violation.

Bill

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my op. Yes the TA is a American company. I paid my deposit with my Canadian credit card but now I want to pay final payment in US funds. TA exact words. Certified bank check that is drawn from US bank and is in US funds. I guess I'm ticked because I always believed that a certified check was as good as cash. Payment due May 30 I still do not want the credit card but may have NO choice

A certified check may well be as good as cash but that does not mean that anyone is required to accept either of those instruments.