anyone just back from the California coastal?

joeyancho

Not sure if you are on Grand or Crown...or other? We were on the Grand last week, and have also sailed this itinerary on Sapphire and Ruby in the past.

In any case, weather in California is variable all year around. We had high winds in Santa Barbara last week, and there was some wind all cruise long. I loved the weather; your experience will vary. Our warmest weather was in San Francisco, oddly enough. Don't expect Mexican Riviera weather, however -- that will never happen in California.

Regarding the ports, they are lovely. Do you have any particular questions?

I'm trying to decide which port is best to leave from. I really don't want to add too many pre or post nights as I am travelling alone. Thoughts on leaving from LA or San Francisco. I may book this cruise in late September or early October .

Edited by Single_dreamer

In San Diego, do the Hop on and Hop off. Don't purchase it from Princess as it's more expensive. There's a terminal right off the ship you can walk to and purchase the tickets there. When you get off the ship and get to the main street, go right and walk down about a block. We went to Coronado Island, then to Old Town and had lunch. You can stop at Balboa Park and walk around there. It's a great way to see San Diego. Also takes you to the Sea Village which is the first stop. The drivers are great at pointing out different bits of information and trivia.

The coastal cruise was okay, we've been to those ports many times by car so for us it wasn't anything new and exciting other than being on a ship we've never been on before.

If you're going to Ensenada, do the wine tour. It's worth it and each passenger gets a free bottle of wine. You can also purchase wine from the wineries too (which we did).

I'm trying to decide which port is best to leave from. I really don't want to add too many pre or post nights as I am travelling alone. Thoughts on leaving from LA or San Francisco. I may book this cruise in late September or early October .

Six of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other. San Francisco is very touristy and it's expensive to get a hotel there. The airport is a ways from the terminal. Take Super Shuttle to the ship if you're flying in the same day. Otherwise take a taxi if your staying in a hotel near the terminal. Take the Super Shuttle back to the airport whether it be to San Francisco or LAX. Do not do a Princess transfer. It costs more than the Super Shuttle and Princess has total control over you once you reach the airport. No way would we ever do a Princess shuttle again.

In San Diego, do the Hop on and Hop off. Don't purchase it from Princess as it's more expensive. There's a terminal right off the ship you can walk to and purchase the tickets there. When you get off the ship and get to the main street, go right and walk down about a block. We went to Coronado Island, then to Old Town and had lunch. You can stop at Balboa Park and walk around there. It's a great way to see San Diego. Also takes you to the Sea Village which is the first stop. The drivers are great at pointing out different bits of information and trivia.

The coastal cruise was okay, we've been to those ports many times by car so for us it wasn't anything new and exciting other than being on a ship we've never been on before.

If you're going to Ensenada, do the wine tour. It's worth it and each passenger gets a free bottle of wine. You can also purchase wine from the wineries too (which we did).

Thanks for the tip on the hoho bus. I have lived in socal for 40 years so I have been to all these places many times. Was looking at doing something a bit different. The bus sounds cool. The wine tour is not an option as we both do not drink. We like to go to the bufador and have fish tacos. That never gets old. For 15 bucks the tour is a great day. It seems silly to take a cruise to California but the less than 900 price for two was an offer I could not refuse. Cheapest cruise I have ever been on. Have been on the Crown several times and love everything about it. Thanks for your help.

Could you please post your experiences? Such as what you did in Port and how the weather was. We will be on this Cruise in 2 weeks

I'm getting ready to do my review of the Grand's March 26 coastal. Stay tuned! (Title will be Grand Princess Coastal 3/26/16)

We did the 4 day from LA to San Diego, and Ensenda recently. It was a quick trip down the coast and back up.

In San Diego, we did a 2 hour harbour cruise $25, and left after the first hour, it was just not all that exciting. We then walked (1/4 mile maybe)over to the USS Midway, and spent 4 hours exploring the Aircraft carrier. It was an outstanding visit, and there was so much that we missed seeing on the ship. Walked a ton through that ship.

In Ensenda, we took the $3 bus (return fare) into town, and walked down the Main Street. They have a bunch of local craft shops, and we had a great time talking to the locals. We like to support local vendors as they are the life blood of these towns. They say that the Bufadora, the Blow hole is an interesting site.

Weather is hard to say, it can be hot one minute and sweater weather the next. It will be cool in the evenings on the ship.

Could you please post your experiences? Such as what you did in Port and how the weather was. We will be on this Cruise in 2 weeks

Hi joeyancho, I know you saw my pics but thought I would chime in.

In San Fran, why not try Alioto's Restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. If you like Chinese food or the culture, stroll through China Town. A more upscale option is the Fairmont Hotel which houses the Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar. It is a cool place. A google search will show this.

In Santa Barbara, hit up State Street for a variety of restaurants and shopping. Unless you have a wine tour etc. We ate on the pier at the Harbour restaurant.

In San Diego, If you're in a walking mood as well as a historical military mood, tour the USS Midway. It is right next to where the ship docks. The Gas Light District and Little Italy are other options.

Ensenada is up in the air. It really is just shopping and eating the local cuisine. If your up for it like we did, head to Cantina Hussong´s which I think is the birthplace of the Margarita. Pappas and Beer is just too loud.

Just suggestions and hope you have a great cruise!

--Mike

Edited by WehoAtlantis

Hey Mike, thanks for the tips. Since we do not drink alcohol several are not for us. Also we just spent a few days in Little ltaly and toured the Midway ,which was fantastic. In SF I think we will go to Chinatown. And in SB I guess we will go walk state st. Thanks for your help.

We've done the California Coastal 3 times (1 w/RCCL and 2 w/PCL). It's easily our favorite! We love the ports, the climate, and the people at the ports - all friendly. Definitely take the PCL wine tour in Ensenada. San Diego has a FANTASTIC zoo, obviously, and it can be done in a day if you get there early and plan your route ahead of time. Love it! The SD waterfront is also a great place to just stroll along. The battleship is very interesting, and a harbor cruise is lovely! Love Santa Barbara (go to The Mission!), and San Francisco is probably my favorite port of any we've been to - so much to do and just a fascinating city! The Big Bus Tour is a great way to see SF. Or take a wine country tour to Napa/Sonoma. Two other couples joined us for our California Coastal cruise last year because they had heard us talk about it so much - they also realized why we love it so much!

If you pick the right weekend to sail from San Francisco you can watch the Blue Angels air show during Fleet week from the top of the cruise ship. Fleet week is usually early Oct

We've done the California Coastal 3 times (1 w/RCCL and 2 w/PCL). It's easily our favorite! We love the ports, the climate, and the people at the ports - all friendly. Definitely take the PCL wine tour in Ensenada. San Diego has a FANTASTIC zoo, obviously, and it can be done in a day if you get there early and plan your route ahead of time. Love it! The SD waterfront is also a great place to just stroll along. The battleship is very interesting, and a harbor cruise is lovely! Love Santa Barbara (go to The Mission!), and San Francisco is probably my favorite port of any we've been to - so much to do and just a fascinating city! The Big Bus Tour is a great way to see SF. Or take a wine country tour to Napa/Sonoma. Two other couples joined us for our California Coastal cruise last year because they had heard us talk about it so much - they also realized why we love it so much!

Any recommendations for a wine country tour operator in SF? Going on a coastal in a couple of weeks and interested in taking one.

In San Diego

Walk from the ship to Seaport Village. Along the way check out some of the statues (the huge one with the sailor kissing the Nurse when WW2 ended).

And there are war memorials as well.

Across the street from Seaport Village there is Kansas City BBQ.Good BBQ. Can eat outside on their patio. go inside and look at all the Memorabilia in the bar. Tom Cruise movie "Top Gun" made the place famous.

Take the Trolley to Old Town. A real treat, stepping back in time to the old San Diego. Lots of good Mexican Restaurants, shops, old buildings to explore.

For shoppers, a brisk walk will get you to Horton Plaza(a very unique shopping center. to get there just go along Broadway till you see it.