Coats in July?

Absolutheada

I'm trying to figure out what we will need. I have a basic thin rain coat and then plenty of heavy winter coats. Nothing in between. Would love one coat that is layered that I can pull apart if needed, but am trying to pack as light as possible. I've been browsing on LL Bean the options are overwhelming. What worked for you?

I was in Alaska 5 years ago in July and am planning a return trip this July. I plan on bringing what I did last time, which was perfect - a waterproof raincoat and a fleece so I could layer. We had mostly beautiful weather but there were times I wore my layers. I brought a few thin scarves that I used also. Didn't bring thin gloves and ended up buying some there. This time I'm bringing a thin pair. As everyone always says, you need to be prepared for everything, so layer it up!

The key word to remember when selecting a jacket is waterproof!

I brought this Eddie Bauer lightweight waterproof Rainfoil jacket last July and it worked great:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women--39-s-rainfoil-reg--jacket/20612212/_/A-ebSku_0063566912000070__20612212_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Jackets&previousPage=LNAV&tab=women&color=126

They have a men's version as well. My husband brought a waterproof windbreaker from Columbia. We wore lightweight fleece underneath on glacier days when it was really chilly on deck. We also had fleece headbands to cover our ears as well as lightweight gloves.

If you'll never use it again, don't buy a new jacket just for this trip.

A hooded waterproof jacket is the best option, but if you don't have one and will never wear it again, just take your current jacket and buy a decent rain poncho, not a $1 emergency poncho. I have a TOTES $7 poncho that I keep in my daypack for any and all trips.

If you're worried about being cold, the layer under the jacket is your warmth, so a fleece, hoody, or sweater.

A billed or brimmed hat. ie waterproof a baseball cap .. the bill will protect you from wind and sun.

OP - re the browsing on LL Bean: I wear a lot of LL Bean. The H2Off rain jacket or coat works well for Alaska. It has a hood and snaps down the front plus a 2 way zipper so you have some flexibility on closures. If you want to splurge, the new Stowaway rain jacket also has the front snaps, a wonderful hood with visor, and is Gore-Tex. A Bean primaloft vest or jacket works well under these jackets for warmth if it is cool and can also be worn on their own. Their warmth is roughly equivalent to a warm sweater. All the choices I have mentioned pack down very very small and are lightweight, so work well for travel. If you are uncertain re sizing, an online chat with Bean's customer service will give you actual garment measurements so you can compare with jackets you have in your closet that fit well. I would not get the jacket too fitted so you can layer. I have done outdoors/active travel as well as city travel with this combination. There are other brands but this has worked well for me.

OP - re the browsing on LL Bean: I wear a lot of LL Bean. The H2Off rain jacket or coat works well for Alaska. It has a hood and snaps down the front plus a 2 way zipper so you have some flexibility on closures. If you want to splurge, the new Stowaway rain jacket also has the front snaps, a wonderful hood with visor, and is Gore-Tex. A Bean primaloft vest or jacket works well under these jackets for warmth if it is cool and can also be worn on their own. Their warmth is roughly equivalent to a warm sweater. All the choices I have mentioned pack down very very small and are lightweight, so work well for travel. If you are uncertain re sizing, an online chat with Bean's customer service will give you actual garment measurements so you can compare with jackets you have in your closet that fit well. I would not get the jacket too fitted so you can layer. I have done outdoors/active travel as well as city travel with this combination. There are other brands but this has worked well for me.

Funny - I was *just* looking at this exact jacket, except the longer coat version.

Is it *REALLY* waterproof, not just water resistant?

--> And breathable?

There is a real difference in pouring rain, or even light rain if one must spend a lot of time in it.

I had a London Fog jacket, purchased at an outlet store years ago, and it wasn't anything like the regular "London Fog" trench coat fabrics.

But it was truly waterproof, and breathable.

(I didn't end up feeling/looking like I'd been in a steam room.)

But it's done it's time, and has asked for a proper retirement ;)

Any suggestions are welcomed, either winter weight or just summer weight as these seem to be?

Perhaps this is the best?

Price isn't the key thing (although I certainly don't need a fancy designer label!); keeping dry and not steamy is.

Thanks!

Well, I've been reading reviews like crazy....its all over the lot as to what is really "waterproof". Some people love certain brands, but some say they got drenched. I think if you wash your coat, you're going to lose the protection after a bit.

But I did just buy an Eddie Bauer Rainfoil Parka.... I wanted something longer, because I do have an LL Bean short one. If you buy today, on the website (and maybe the store), they are 40% off!! So it was a good enough deal for me! $68.24 w/shipping.

Not going until September, but I have all spring to test it out...seeing as its just like winter again here in New England!:D

I'm trying to figure out what we will need. I have a basic thin rain coat and then plenty of heavy winter coats. Nothing in between. Would love one coat that is layered that I can pull apart if needed, but am trying to pack as light as possible. I've been browsing on LL Bean the options are overwhelming. What worked for you?

I take an old (really old) Goretex hooded jacket as my top layer. I also take a Patagonia down sweater (weighs nothing, packs into its own pocket, can hang from your belt loop) (other makers have similar features, not just Patagonia), a fleecy or two, and a cashmere sweater. None of it weighs much, nothing except the fleecy takes up much room.

I've washed that old Goretex jacket multiple times and it is probably due for re-waterproofing.

Agree, just be prepared and especially if you have outdoor excursions planned, the water PROOF hooded jacket is the key.

When we did Norway we were prepared for cool and rain. But it was unusually sunny and warm and only wore jackets for cold 2 days while up at the North Cape.. But we certainly appreciated having them along.

Funny - I was *just* looking at this exact jacket, except the longer coat version.

Is it *REALLY* waterproof, not just water resistant?

--> And breathable?

There is a real difference in pouring rain, or even light rain if one must spend a lot of time in it.

I had a London Fog jacket, purchased at an outlet store years ago, and it wasn't anything like the regular "London Fog" trench coat fabrics.

But it was truly waterproof, and breathable.

(I didn't end up feeling/looking like I'd been in a steam room.)

But it's done it's time, and has asked for a proper retirement ;)

Any suggestions are welcomed, either winter weight or just summer weight as these seem to be?

Perhaps this is the best?

Price isn't the key thing (although I certainly don't need a fancy designer label!); keeping dry and not steamy is.

Thanks!

I will say that many Alaska cruisers will hesitate to purchase an expensive rain jacket. They live in areas where the jackets won't see much use. Those of us in the pacific northwest who enjoy being outdoors a lot and appreciate staying warm and dry will spend $$ on high quality rain gear. I have four rain jackets as well as Gore-Tex rain pants and use them all. The LL Bean H2Off jackets are waterproof but are not the ultimate breathable like the Gore-Tex. They work well and look nice in town and are perfect for most occasions other than heavy exertion. The Gore-Tex Stowaway jacket works for anything and definitely breathes, plus has pit-zips. I have been in pouring rain in both jackets and have stayed dry. The front snaps are perfect when there is a light drizzle and I don't want to zip all the way. I chose to bring the H2Off jacket on my last Alaska cruise and it worked just fine. There are many other brands and deals, but for anyone who appreciates Bean quality and service, these are great jackets.

I will say that many Alaska cruisers will hesitate to purchase an expensive rain jacket. They live in areas where the jackets won't see much use. Those of us in the pacific northwest who enjoy being outdoors a lot and appreciate staying warm and dry will spend $$ on high quality rain gear. I have four rain jackets as well as Gore-Tex rain pants and use them all. The LL Bean H2Off jackets are waterproof but are not the ultimate breathable like the Gore-Tex. They work well and look nice in town and are perfect for most occasions other than heavy exertion. The Gore-Tex Stowaway jacket works for anything and definitely breathes, plus has pit-zips. I have been in pouring rain in both jackets and have stayed dry. The front snaps are perfect when there is a light drizzle and I don't want to zip all the way. I chose to bring the H2Off jacket on my last Alaska cruise and it worked just fine. There are many other brands and deals, but for anyone who appreciates Bean quality and service, these are great jackets.

Thanks.

We used to live in Seattle for several years and LOVED the area. But yes, damp... So we always had boots and jackets with hoods, and just went out rain or shine.

We now do live in an area where we can use these types of jackets/coats, or we'd just get cheap rain ponchos for the cruise.

But we've had a couple of not-so-good experiences with "rain resistant" being "stays semi-dry for about 2 minutes, and then soaks right through", so we haven't known what to trust.

Is Gore-Tex still the gold standard, or is there a new "latest and greatest" product for rain *proof* (not "resistant") and breathable?

Is there a longer coat version anywhere?

Sounds like the LL Bean coat isn't quite the right thing. Appreciate that feedback!

Thanks again.

In 2012 we purchased LL Bean Trail raincoats -- they are the longer length ones and are still in good condition. They have two way zippers and snaps. I wore it with a LL Bean vest.

For a 2016 Alaska trip I have a Helly Hansen waterproof jacket that also has a two-way zipper. I went up a size so that a fleece jacket fits underneath.

We live in a hot dry climate so rarely have the need for rain gear. If I lived in a rainy climate I would definitely be purchasing the Gore Tex.

I find that many rain jackets do not have two-way zippers --essential for me!

Maybe check out REI https://www.rei.com/outlet/c/mens-rain-jackets?r=c&ir=category%3Amens-rain-jackets&page=1&outlet=true

Edited by Alaskanb

The key word to remember when selecting a jacket is waterproof!

I brought this Eddie Bauer lightweight waterproof Rainfoil jacket last July and it worked great:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women--39-s-rainfoil-reg--jacket/20612212/_/A-ebSku_0063566912000070__20612212_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Jackets&previousPage=LNAV&tab=women&color=126

I think this is the same one I bought as well along with this to wear underneath: http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women--39-s-sandstone-soft-shell-jacket/38925209/_/A-ebSku_0891124102000030__38925209_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Outerwear&previousPage=&tab=women&color=338

I bought it for a trip to Iceland and the combo (plus an extra layer or two underneath) and I was really pleased with both items.

Edited by Meredith218

Keep in mind that you are not going to the Arctic. We have completed 11 Alaska cruises. Our first Alaska cruise was in 1990. Alaska gets warmer every year. We went last year at the end of June for a Seahawks fans cruise on Princess. We took long and short sleeve T-Shirts and light weight sweat jackets (Walmart.) We were just fine. If we experienced cold we wore a short sleeve T shirt over a long sleeved turtle neck. Take umbrellas. I could not agree more with “Mapleleaves” on using a poncho for rain if needed.

We have not encountered much rain in Alaska, could be just our luck. I do, however, waterproof my walking shoes and purses whether I go to Alaska or not.

Edited by JudithLynne