2 Liberty Passengers Dead in Moped Accident

Je Souhaite

There was a motorcycle accident in front of my hotel in FLL. Within 5 minutes, there was an ambulance, two police cars, a fire truck on scene and the second ambulance could be heard in the distance. The things we take for granted....so sad for these two folks and for their families.

I believe they both had helmets. He was wearing a white one and the paramedic removed a purple one from her.

I saw that too. The man was definitely wearing a helmet. You couldn't see the woman's head but at one point you could see the EMT move a helmet off to the side.

If something like that happened here, there would be numerous response teams and BOTH passengers would have been treated simultaneously. From watching this, I hope I never need emergency medical care on Cozumel! I saw a lot of walking back and forth bringing equipment, but never really doing anything. And the poor husband was writhing on the pavement and no one even looked at him except to tell him to stay down. Just my opinion from viewing the video...I kept thinking "hurry - do something"!!

Prayers for the family and for the couple.

We did a Carnival excursion for a Harley ride in St. Maarten a year ago this past December. For about 8 minutes it was my worst riding experience ever. We wee driving illegally, wrong way on a one way street, passing on sidewalks, u-turns. I kept telling my wife, I can't do this. But being in a country I had no idea where I was, I still followed the tour guide. The rest of the ride was great.

When you are in a foreign country, there are definitely different rules to driving.

Here is the video on youtube I made. There is a little strong language in it.

If something like that happened here, there would be numerous response teams and BOTH passengers would have been treated simultaneously. From watching this, I hope I never need emergency medical care on Cozumel! I saw a lot of walking back and forth bringing equipment, but never really doing anything. And the poor husband was writhing on the pavement and no one even looked at him except to tell him to stay down. Just my opinion from viewing the video...I kept thinking "hurry - do something"!!

Prayers for the family and for the couple.

I know, they didn't even assess that poor man. Awful when you know he ended up dying later. Maybe he could have been saved.

I rode a moped in the 70's. It was nothing more than a bicycle with a motor.

These mopeds they have in the islands and Bermuda are MOTORCYCLES. There is no way I could ride one, and anyone not familiar with a motorcycle should not either.

Guests were discouraged from renting scooters on cruises I have been on, for the reasons stated here. Accidents can happen, but driving a scooter in an unfamiliar area is not a wise choice. Sad for their families.....:(

First let me say that my thoughts and prayers are with this family and all affected by this terrible tragedy.

That being said, the video makes it clear why doing dangerous activities on these islands should be avoided. The police and EMT capabilities of these countries are just not what we are used to in the US and other major countries. I am sure the first responders did everything they could. I find myself wondering if the gentleman would have survived had additional emergency response personnel been available to attend to him.

I pray for this couple's family, but I do have questions. I'm not morbid, however I am disabled and curious. If you get badly hurt or if you had a fatal accident while abroad, how strict is the government about a passport? Surely the family will have no problem with transporting the patient or body? BTW, before I get yelled at, I do have a Visa. But this is definitely something to be concerned about.

I pray for this couple's family, but I do have questions. I'm not morbid, however I am disabled and curious. If you get badly hurt or if you had a fatal accident while abroad, how strict is the government about a passport? Surely the family will have no problem with transporting the patient or body? BTW, before I get yelled at, I do have a Visa. But this is definitely something to be concerned about.

It can always be worked out, that said having a passport (especially if still alive) makes it much easier. While I am not positive, I believe the FBI must get involved in fatalities of this nature,

They will have a problem but with lots of money and assistance from the cruise line and the US Consulate,family would be able to claim their family members.

They're wearing no protective gear whatsoever. I know some riders think I'm a big wuss because I NEVER ride without helmet, armored jacket and pants, gloves and boots. But I've been down on the asphalt and have the scars. Mopeds may look like little toys. But they are NOT surrounded by a protective pavement softening field. Concrete is HARD. Cars are HARD. Combine that with some who's likely inexperienced on two wheels on a moped, two of you on a tiny machine that's not really capable of holding one and that you don't know has been properly maintained and you're playing russian roulette. As much fun as this would be what they did was insane.

My sympathy goes out to their families. Horrible, horrible way to go.

Folks, I'm going to get on a soapbox for a minute so bear with me.

I too feel bad for the family of these two vacationers who passed. But I have no sympathy for the two who did pass.

I'm a motorcyclist, have been for years. It's an inherently dangerous sport that too many participate in without understanding the risks, and taking steps to minimize those risks. I minimize my risk by riding ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), continuing to take rider education courses every couple of years, keeping my bike in top operating condition, practice defensive riding, NEVER drinking and riding, the list goes on and on.

This couple had inadequate protective gear. The skill level is unknown, as is the condition of the moped. Unfamiliar roads, guard probably down because they were "on vacation". They didn't minimize their risk, they increased it.

I'm saddened that another rider passed, but no sympathy. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

I've had some rider friends die in accidents, others with injuries that have left them far less than they were before. Some were their fault, others not.

But the highest proportion of motorcycle accidents in North America are caused by cars turning left in front of a motorcyle. Drivers see a space that has no car in it, but don't see the motorcycle. It's called a SMIDSY (originated in Australia, Sorry Mate I Didn't See You). I do everything I can to ride safely. Please look out for motorcycles while you are driving. Texting and driving has made things WAY worse than they used to be. Please put down that device and focus on what you are doing. Don't just look, SEE.

Thank you for allowing me to preach. It's a subject close to me and I'm passionate about it.

Such a sad tragedy. You just never expect it on a vacation. It's a tragic reminder accidents do happen. A lady passed away (I believe she drowned) in Cozumel on the Liberty cruise Apr 07, 2016. We prayed for the family who was on board as well.

With that aside, I would never ever rent a moped or scooter there. The taxi ride back to the port (in rush traffic I guess one would call it) was insane. Cars and mopeds all over the road. I would imagine accidents like that happen quite frequently there.

My heart goes out to that poor family. People do get into vacation mode and perhaps take risks they wouldn't normally take at home.

We're leaving in 2 weeks for a cruise with an infant and a toddler. Very inconvenient to bring 2 car seats with us, but we are because we're not putting our grandkids in a taxi in Cozumel unrestrained.

Sure, it's only 1 ride but that's all it takes, at home or on vacation.

Folks, I'm going to get on a soapbox for a minute so bear with me.

I too feel bad for the family of these two vacationers who passed. But I have no sympathy for the two who did pass.

I'm a motorcyclist, have been for years. It's an inherently dangerous sport that too many participate in without understanding the risks, and taking steps to minimize those risks. I minimize my risk by riding ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), continuing to take rider education courses every couple of years, keeping my bike in top operating condition, practice defensive riding, NEVER drinking and riding, the list goes on and on.

This couple had inadequate protective gear. The skill level is unknown, as is the condition of the moped. Unfamiliar roads, guard probably down because they were "on vacation". They didn't minimize their risk, they increased it.

I'm saddened that another rider passed, but no sympathy. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

I've had some rider friends die in accidents, others with injuries that have left them far less than they were before. Some were their fault, others not.

But the highest proportion of motorcycle accidents in North America are caused by cars turning left in front of a motorcyle. Drivers see a space that has no car in it, but don't see the motorcycle. It's called a SMIDSY (originated in Australia, Sorry Mate I Didn't See You). I do everything I can to ride safely. Please look out for motorcycles while you are driving. Texting and driving has made things WAY worse than they used to be. Please put down that device and focus on what you are doing. Don't just look, SEE.

Thank you for allowing me to preach. It's a subject close to me and I'm passionate about it.

Very succinctly put and I absolutely agree. I have been riding nearly all my life. Started on mini bikes at 6.

My heart goes out to that poor family. People do get into vacation mode and perhaps take risks they wouldn't normally take at home.

We're leaving in 2 weeks for a cruise with an infant and a toddler. Very inconvenient to bring 2 car seats with us, but we are because we're not putting our grandkids in a taxi in Cozumel unrestrained.

Sure, it's only 1 ride but that's all it takes, at home or on vacation.

You might have quite a wait on a taxi with seat belts available.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You might have quite a wait on a taxi with seat belts available.

I've ported in Coz about 15 times, and stayed in Playa, Riviera Maya and Cancun well over 20 weeks on assorted land vacations. I've used taxis and vans many many times in these areas.

I have never seen a taxi or van without 3 point seat/shoulder belts.

If I did, I wouldn't get into it. I'm not sure where you get your info from.

Edited by evandbob

I've ported in Coz about 15 times, and stayed in Playa, Riviera Maya and Cancun well over 20 weeks on assorted land vacations. I've used taxis and vans many many times in these areas.

I have never seen a taxi or van without 3 point seat/shoulder belts.

If I did, I wouldn't get into it. I'm not sure where you get your info from.

I go often too and I have rarely seen them. I have had to dig them out of the back of the seat more than a few times. Several times there have been no seat belt to dig out.

But whatever. Maybe i was just extremely unlucky and got the wrong taxis.