Douro cruise in 2 weeks

dcruisers

Although the world climate is unsettled- we are looking forward to our Viking River cruise down the Douro 2 weeks from today.,

We will be getting euros but wondering if it is acceptable to give dollars to bus drivers etc if you don't have small euro change.

Also, on our Grand European river cruise we saw jeans for excursions and going into dinner. Are jeans ok for excursions? Do most people get changed for dinner?

Thank you.

I will do a review when we get back.

Although the world climate is unsettled- we are looking forward to our Viking River cruise down the Douro 2 weeks from today.,

We will be getting euros but wondering if it is acceptable to give dollars to bus drivers etc if you don't have small euro change.

Also, on our Grand European river cruise we saw jeans for excursions and going into dinner. Are jeans ok for excursions? Do most people get changed for dinner?

Thank you.

I will do a review when we get back.

Our Vantage Douro starts 15 May, so looking forward to your review.

You will have the same Viking tour guide and bus driver once you start the river portion of your trip, but occasionally a local tour guide will take over. You really need euros to tip them, as it probably isn't easy for them to exchange dollars for euros. There are plenty of banks near the hotel in Lisbon to get euros out of an ATM. Porto will be your last opportunity to exchange dollars for euros and use an ATM once you are on the Douro (The exception is the day you go to Salamanca Spain). The train station in Porto (Which is part of the included tour) has an ATM, currency exchange and bathrooms that cost a 50 cent euro coin to use. I don't recall having to pay for any other restroom stop along the Douro.

The day of your lunch at the winery there may be a 2-man band (Accordion and drum) They were really good, and a small tip of a euro or two would be much appreciated I am sure.

Finally, You can not put your gratuities for the program director or the Viking staff on your on board account. They need to be in cash. You will be given two envelopes, one for the program director, and one for the rest of the staff, and there are two boxes on the front desk to put the gratuities in.

Have a wonderful time. I thought it a wonderful trip; Top 5 for sure, probably in my top 3.

You will have the same Viking tour guide and bus driver once you start the river portion of your trip, but occasionally a local tour guide will take over. You really need euros to tip them, as it probably isn't easy for them to exchange dollars for euros. There are plenty of banks near the hotel in Lisbon to get euros out of an ATM. Porto will be your last opportunity to exchange dollars for euros and use an ATM once you are on the Douro (The exception is the day you go to Salamanca Spain). The train station in Porto (Which is part of the included tour) has an ATM, currency exchange and bathrooms that cost a 50 cent euro coin to use. I don't recall having to pay for any other restroom stop along the Douro.

The day of your lunch at the winery there may be a 2-man band (Accordion and drum) They were really good, and a small tip of a euro or two would be much appreciated I am sure.

Finally, You can not put your gratuities for the program director or the Viking staff on your on board account. They need to be in cash. You will be given two envelopes, one for the program director, and one for the rest of the staff, and there are two boxes on the front desk to put the gratuities in.

Have a wonderful time. I thought it a wonderful trip; Top 5 for sure, probably in my top 3.

Thank you so much for all the great info!

I am shocked however that you can't put gratuities on your credit card. We did when you we were on our Viking Grand European 2 years ago. If you don't know and don't have lots of $$ left- that would result in small gratuity for the staff.

I do have one more question-were there any issues with pickpockets like in Barcelona and other cities? I didn't know if I should get a cross shoulder bag with wire in the strap.

Again- appreciate your help!

Dcruisers, we've been to Barcelona several times and have never run into any trouble, and yes we especially enjoy walking down Las Ramblas! Just do as you would anywhere: keep your wits about you and be mindful of your belongings. I hope you like Barcelona. It's a beautiful and fascinating city.

Dcruisers, we've been to Barcelona several times and have never run into any trouble, and yes we especially enjoy walking down Las Ramblas! Just do as you would anywhere: keep your wits about you and be mindful of your belongings. I hope you like Barcelona. It's a beautiful and fascinating city.

We have been in Barcelona and read a number of comments about pickpockets prior to going there. Also- when we were in Italy we were warned by our guide to be careful of pickpockets.

Since we are now going on Vikings Douro River cruise, I was wondering if pickpockets and petty crime was noticed from those who traveled this cruise. We try to be vigilant when we travel but were curious if Lisbon has a reputation like some other areas.

Thanks for your input.

Thank you so much for all the great info!

I am shocked however that you can't put gratuities on your credit card. We did when you we were on our Viking Grand European 2 years ago. If you don't know and don't have lots of $$ left- that would result in small gratuity for the staff.

I do have one more question-were there any issues with pickpockets like in Barcelona and other cities? I didn't know if I should get a cross shoulder bag with wire in the strap.

Again- appreciate your help!

I think the Douro is the only European cruise that Viking offers that you can't put the gratuities are you CC. It has something to do with the way the Portuguese government taxes them if on a CC (I may not remember the program director's explanation exactly right).

The only place we were warned about pick-pockets was on the trams in Lisbon. Apparently there is a famous yellow tram ride, beloved by tourists and avoided by locals that pick-pockets will frequent. We stayed away from the trams. Did a lot of walking around Lisbon, even at night, and never felt unsafe. Most of the towns along the Douro are small, don't have a lot of tourists, and therefore fewer pick-pockets.

Our Vantage Douro starts 15 May, so looking forward to your review.

Currently in middle of the cruise portion of Vantage Douro. Hotel in Lisbon very nice, but in residential area not tourist, fine by me. Have had several very nice evenings out included. Like always, some grumbles, but has been nice IMO. Any specific questions?

Thom

Currently in middle of the cruise portion of Vantage Douro. Hotel in Lisbon very nice, but in residential area not tourist, fine by me. Have had several very nice evenings out included. Like always, some grumbles, but has been nice IMO. Any specific questions?

Thom

Thom,

What did your tour of Lisbon include besides the Belem Tower and Castle?

Did you go to a Fado show in the evening?

Thom,

What did your tour of Lisbon include besides the Belem Tower and Castle?

Did you go to a Fado show in the evening?

Tour went to Belem Tower, Monument of the Discoveries, Jeronomis(?) Monastery, top of Edward VII Park and ended downtown. Tour then returned to hotel, OR you could stay downtown and return on your own or come back four hours later on a provided shuttle bus (this included bus ran several times during the day). We did NOT go to the Castle. The included Fado show had a number of acts and over an hour of performance during the dinner; more and better than I expected (not that know anything about Fado).

Thom

Tour went to Belem Tower, Monument of the Discoveries, Jeronomis(?) Monastery, top of Edward VII Park and ended downtown. Tour then returned to hotel, OR you could stay downtown and return on your own or come back four hours later on a provided shuttle bus (this included bus ran several times during the day). We did NOT go to the Castle. The included Fado show had a number of acts and over an hour of performance during the dinner; more and better than I expected (not that know anything about Fado).

Thom

Them, thanks, I am surprised the tour didn't go to the castle. We will probably do that, since we arrive a day early.

I was in Portugal in 1985 and loved the country. I thought the people there were more friendly than the people in Spain. I did not go to Porto and the river then. Looking forward to that part as well as going back to Lisbon.

Thank you for all the valuable input!

As our trip gets closer- 6 days away- I am thinking of more questions.

Does the Trivoli hotel used by Viking have a safe and could you exchange $$ for euros if needed? And- according to info we read in documents- did you have to give up your passports at any time and get them back later?

Thank you all for your help.

Thank you for all the valuable input!

As our trip gets closer- 6 days away- I am thinking of more questions.

Does the Trivoli hotel used by Viking have a safe and could you exchange $$ for euros if needed? And- according to info we read in documents- did you have to give up your passports at any time and get them back later?

Thank you all for your help.

Can't help you with your safe question, but yes, you can exchange $$$ for euros. Front desk staff spoke excellent English. We never had to give up our passports at any time.

If you walk out of the hotel and go to the left (Its uphill) there are several banks on the main boulevard on your left that have ATM's that you can use to get additional euros as needed. Also that way is a pharmacy in case you forget a toothbrush, or need aspirin. If you turn to the right at the hotel entrance and walk downhill, on your right you will find some shopping, a place that served lighter fare, a few souvenir shops, and places to get a soda and/or chips if you need a snack.

If you go a little further downhill from the Trivoli and you see a strange looking vehicle and this young man offering tours, go for it! He took us on a hour plus tour through the Alfama quarter, made as many photo stops as I wanted and charged us only 35 euro for the both of us. His name is Antonio and he speaks perfect English and we were 100% safe with him.

IMG_2080_zpshhhvxxuy.jpg

Can't help you with your safe question, but yes, you cexchange $$$ for euros. Front desk staff spoke excellent English. We never had to give up our passports at any time.

If you walk out of the hotel and go to the left (Its uphill) there are several banks on the main boulevard on your left that have ATM's that you can use to get additional euros as needed. Also that way is a pharmacy in case you forget a toothbrush, or need aspirin. If you turn to the right at the hotel entrance and walk downhill, on your right you will find some shopping, a place that served lighter fare, a few souvenir shops, and places to get a soda and/or chips if you need a snack.

Thank you foal you great info!

It's appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You'll need a supply of small Euro coins to go to the bathroom anyway.

What denomination coins do you need?

Where can you get said coins?

Can you get Euros on board a Viking ship without a service fee, or should we load up on Euros in America before we leave, or at the airports?

Will Hungary accept Euros? I know they were still on forints when I was there 10 years ago.

Thanks.

Hungary uses Euros. You will need 50cent or 1coins for public bathrooms (if there is an attendant in the bathroom they can change your 1 Euro coins for 2 x 50cents at the time). Depending on your travel plans, you might also need euros maybe notes in 5 or 10s to tip taxi drivers, bellmen or even leave tips in restaurants etc. as not all small family restaurants might take credit cards.

Please do not give dollars. Ask yourself if you would find it helpful to be given any small payment in euros or yen or other currency when you were in the USA? It is both hugely inconvenient and expensive for the recipient to change small amounts. Banks often have minimum amounts they will change which your tip will not meet anyway.

Hope you enjoy your cruising in all currencies and all destinations!:)