Hubbard Glacier

skrapngal

From different pics I have seen, is it just me or do the cruise ships not get all that close?

I was in Glacier Bay in May 2014 on Pacific Princess and it seemed to me that the ship got much closer to Lamplugh and Margerie Glaciers. Was that because it is a smaller ship?

It varies greatly. My first trip years ago we got within 1/4 mile on the old Island Princess, the next couple of times within a mile or two. The last three trips (in the last four years) we were 14-15 miles, next year about 9 miles, then last trip we were totally fogged out (first time that happened to me. You pay your money and take your chances. Ship size isn't really a factor, the schedule dictates more how much time the Captain can spend getting close.

That's one reason why my last visits have all been North/South B2B's on Princess. Each trip has two Glacier viewings (Glacier/College Fjord North - Hubbard/Glacier South) so I know I will be seeing a glacier.

The first time I was there, it was 9 miles. At 9 miles, it is barely noticeable!

I did get closer on my last trip -something pretty close.

Best chances - go to Glacier Bay!

Edited by Coral

We've been to Hubbard Glacier 3 times .... All 3 have been in mid to late May and have gotten very close...one time in particular "really" close...I guess it helped to have the captain's parents onboard ;)

We've been to Hubbard Glacier 3 times .... All 3 have been in mid to late May and have gotten very close...one time in particular "really" close...I guess it helped to have the captain's parents onboard ;)

On one of my early Caribbean cruises on two excursions I ended up in a small group that included the Captains new Mother in Law sailing with her daughter. I had no worries at all about the ship sailing without me lol

The Hubbard Glacier is in my signature below. We got close for a perfect photo shot. The pano photo was 15 images stitched together and prints to 10 x 150 inches. A fog bank was sitting on top which help a lot and an overcast sky is best to allow the color to come out. I got lucky.

If you get close nothing compare's to this glacier.

Good Luck,

framer

i am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed for our cruise coming up, late may. Send some of your well-wishes and karma our way!!!

Have sent them ... Hoping you got them :)

Edited by Ashland