Personal Items on Ship and at Ports, Protect from being Stolen or get Wet

tgloersen

Thanks for all the great comments!

Yah I guess I really don't need to worry about plastic cards getting wet so that just leaves the cell which I have to have with me for work purposes.

Those bags look like the answer for that.

We do have the passport cards, so there is no problem getting on and off the boat with these?

Thanks

We do have the passport cards, so there is no problem getting on and off the boat with these?

To get off and on the ship you will only need your ship passcard. Some ports require a photo ID to enter the port. DH and I never bring our passports off ship - we have enhanced drivers licence that we bring along.

Edited by nets33

as it cannot be used to fly back to the US from outside the country.

Sometimes it can :) Especially if you have a valid Passport book too.

Someone traveling with us last April got in a little trouble on Freedom because he drank too much whiskey and got out of hand. He was tossed off in Falmouth.

He was traveling on a Passport card and was able to fly to Miami then on to Gainesville FL from Montego Bay Jamaica using the PP card. He had a valid book but it was misplaced at home in Gainesville FL. Im thinking they were able to tell that and that is the ONLY reason he was able to fly home using the card.

His flight cost him well over 600.00 though and it took about 15 hours to get home :eek: Served him right though ;)

Edited by ryano

Sometimes it can :) Especially if you have a valid Passport book too.

Someone traveling with us last April got in a little trouble on Freedom because he drank too much whiskey and got out of hand. He was tossed off in Falmouth.

He was traveling on a Passport card and was able to fly to Miami then on to Gainesville FL from Montego Bay Jamaica using the PP card. He had a valid book but it was misplaced at home in Gainesville FL.

His flight cost him well over 600.00 though and it took about 15 hours to get home :eek: Served him right though ;)

Never knew that, thanks Ryan.

Never knew that, thanks Ryan.

I would have never guessed it possible. I told him it would likely be several days to get it all straightened out and he would be stuck in Jamaica until then. Guest services booked his flight and gave him a letter explaining he had been disembarked from a cruise ship and along with that letter, he sailed right through Customs in Miami using the PP card.

Evidently the letter from the cruise line is for those that have been disembarked and only have a BC and DL or in this instance, just a Passport card. It worked though.

He was very embarrassed and sorry the next day but Captain Ron said he had to go. He was held in his cabin with security sitting outside until we got to Falmouth as they couldnt disembark him in Labadee. He was sailing solo so he paid double. Im figuring that mistake cost him around 3 grand or more including everything and he never even got to see the first port. He hasnt touched a drop of alcohol since lol.

Edited by ryano

We used Pacsafe items when we traveled to Barcelona. I still bring it with me on cruises. It can hold water. I did use a small cell phone case that hooked to my belt and I wear that under my blouse, so I am not carrying anything but my camera and that is held in front of me.

Friends of ours where on a cruise at Christmas with there 3 kids. Normally one parent would stay on the beach with their belongings. This time they where all in the ocean and came back to their camera bag missing. This is one thing that always bothers me about leaving stuff on the beach. I told the wife not to bring her camera and lens to the beach. Better safe than sorry. I bring sea pass,drivers licence,credit card and cash in a waterproof wallet that fits in my bathing suit zippered pocket.

for those of you with waterproof wallets that actually work (I have had mixed success in the past), could you please post the name or an amazon link? thanks

mixplix

This is very similar to the one I bought on board:

http://www.amazon.com/Witz-Sport-Cases-Surfsafe-Colors/dp/B0007PENQ0/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1459956239&sr=8-39&keywords=waterproof+wallet

That's awful about the family who got their camera stolen.

We bought this. The link is Amazon.ca but it's on the US one too. Only thing is you can see the contents inside, but it will always be around DH or my waist so shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00Z91DI7M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASZ854EMFDFHZ

Edited by LuCruise

for those of you with waterproof wallets that actually work (I have had mixed success in the past), could you please post the name or an amazon link? thanks

mixplix

We have an Aquapac that works great. You can get them on Amazon or Brookstone or other places.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/

Ours has a lanyard and carabiner. It also has built in flotation just in case you drop it. We use it for a cellphone, money, credit cards and sea pass. We carry a waterproof camera instead of a big DLSR when we go to the beach.

The passport issue has arisen in at least three captain's interviews I've attended, and each time the captain has said to leave the passport in the safe which will be emptied by security if you miss the ship, and handed to the port agent to return to you.

You're usually warned- or it's in the ship's paper- if you will need your passport ashore- Croatia and Russia come to mind. Your passport is worth thousands of $/£/€ on the black market.... look after it well.