Do we need a guide in Venice?

wendilyn5

We will be in Venice on a Sat in early July. We'd like to see a few churches and tour the square. Do we need a guide to get into the churches? Is there a long que? We've never been and I'm curious if it's like Rome where a guide is very helpful

Thanks!

No guide needed. Pre book your entry time to St Marks Cathedral and skip the line. Also go upstairs to see the real bronze horses and the Cathedral from above. From there you can also go outside onto the upper terrace and get a nice view of the square from above.

Venice is pretty easy on your own. Cruise critic and tripadvisor are good sources for info. Rick Steve's also has a good guide book.

I like the idea in guides in many places that one is visiting for the very first time, but in my opinion one is not needed in Venice.

I would do some reading. I would visit a few of the popular sites. Then I would spend the rest of my time just walking around. You just follow the major signs. I find it a lot of fun to just venture around into small little areas within Venice and just take in all that is in view.

So as others have said, I would skip the guide in Venice and just enjoy it on your own.

I would also take a Gondola. Just be sure to negotiate price, where you will go (include the Grand Canal) and the length of time.

Keith

I think it really depends on you. If you are willing to take the time to research the port and places you want to go then no guide is needed. If on the other hand you will only do minimal preparation then a guide is most helpful.

It's interesting to me that people will always say you need a guide/tour for certain places (e.g., Rome) but not others (e.g., Venice). Yet St. Mark's cathedral is as remarkable and has as much history (and art) as St. Peter's in Rome. :confused:

And several of Venice's museums have almost as concentrated a display of masterpieces as the Vatican museums, yet no one seems to think a guide or tour is needed....

Which makes me suspect that recommendations for tours are not so much about the need for a guide -- with information and explanation -- as for the transportation and logistics involved.

So....my answer would be that if you just want to walk around Venice on your own, it is not logistically challenging (other than the water issue, of course). If you plan to visit places like St. Marks or the Accademia or the Scuolas, you should do your research or -- just maybe -- if you'd get a guide at the Vatican, you should consider one here.

Edited by cruisemom42

It's interesting to me that people will always say you need a guide/tour for certain places (e.g., Rome) but not others (e.g., Venice). Yet St. Mark's cathedral is as remarkable and has as much history (and art) as St. Peter's in Rome. :confused:

And several of Venice's museums have almost as concentrated a display of masterpieces as the Vatican museums, yet no one seems to think a guide or tour is needed....

Which makes me suspect that recommendations for tours are not so much about the need for a guide -- with information and explanation -- as for the transportation and logistics involved.

So....my answer would be that if you just want to walk around Venice on your own, it is not logistically challenging (other than the water issue, of course). If you plan to visit places like St. Marks or the Accademia or the Scuolas, you should do your research or -- just maybe -- if you'd get a guide at the Vatican, you should consider one here.

An interesting view from cruisemom42.

Even allowing for language constraints, most European tourists seldom take organised tours so, for us, it is a strange concept that North American visitors want guides wherever they visit. This is not a criticism - just an observation.

If you feel that you need a guide in Rome for historical information as well as tickets/transport logistics you will probably want one in Venice. If however, you prefer to do your own research - so easy now on line - and see places at your own pace which we far prefer, then Venice is as I said earlier so easy to DIY.

Out of interest - again please do not take this as a criticism, it is a genuinely interested enquiry - would you take a guide when visiting a new city in the US? If your answer to this is yes then I would recommend that you take one in European ports.

Edited by campolady

Even allowing for language constraints, most European tourists seldom take organised tours so, for us, it is a strange concept that North American visitors want guides wherever they visit. This is not a criticism - just an observation.

If you feel that you need a guide in Rome for historical information as well as tickets/transport logistics you will probably want one in Venice. If however, you prefer to do your own research - so easy now on line - and see places at your own pace which we far prefer, then Venice is as I said earlier so easy to DIY.

Out of interest - again please do not take this as a criticism, it is a genuinely interested enquiry - would you take a guide when visiting a new city in the US? If your answer to this is yes then I would recommend that you take one in European ports.

That's an interesting thought. I never take a guide when touring in my own country (USA) in new cities. But because this will be our first time in Europe and will spend a few days in Rome and Venice at the start and finish of a 12 day cruise I for some reason felt the need for a guide. Maybe it's because of the language? Or maybe because of the crowd and limited times to see as much as possible??? I know some cities are easy to do on your own but I think it's the reassurance of having someone familiar with the area, customs, arranging for my tickets and transportation that make it worth while investment. I also refuse to take public transportation in Europe. That's a personal choice. Beside these 2 cities we hired guides for the Amalfi coast, Athens and Ephasus. I did do research on Athens and it's easy with the hop on hop off bus but I'm not doing buses and public transportation. Part of my travel smart criteria. So the guide helps with reassurance.

We are from the US and we did take an organized tour in NYC when we had only one day to visit. My DH had been there several times and I had been there one other time on business. We felt that on our guided tour we saw much more and learned much more than we had ever seen or learned on our previous visits. So for us, when time is limited, we do feel the investment for a guide is worthwhile.

When we have more time I feel that a guided tour to orient and give more information at the beginning of the visit is helpful. Then we like to explore on our own. So, we get the best of both worlds.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

It was more of a philosophical question on my part. I generally don't take tours either in Europe or in the US, unless there is a specific reason to do so.

It just strikes me as interesting that the same folks who will always tell you that you need a guide in the Vatican museum will also say you don't need a guide in Venice. ;)

Maybe they do not differentiate between a "guide" (specific imparter of knowledge) versus a driver/tour representative (logistical person).

That's an interesting thought. I never take a guide when touring in my own country (USA) in new cities. But because this will be our first time in Europe and will spend a few days in Rome and Venice at the start and finish of a 12 day cruise I for some reason felt the need for a guide. Maybe it's because of the language? Or maybe because of the crowd and limited times to see as much as possible??? I know some cities are easy to do on your own but I think it's the reassurance of having someone familiar with the area, customs, arranging for my tickets and transportation that make it worth while investment. I also refuse to take public transportation in Europe. That's a personal choice. Beside these 2 cities we hired guides for the Amalfi coast, Athens and Ephasus. I did do research on Athens and it's easy with the hop on hop off bus but I'm not doing buses and public transportation. Part of my travel smart criteria. So the guide helps with reassurance.

Athens is also easy by taxi (from port to Athens and then return at the end of the day). The historic center is mostly pedestrianized anyway, so a bus or a car can only get you so close, then you'll have to walk.

I am on the fence about the public transportation issue. I am well used to using it in Europe, so I have a certain familiarity. I do understand some concerns about recent events. But I feel that so many of these attacks have been random and not necessarily specific to public transportation. I'm not sure how great the risk really is....

Look at the recent attacks in Paris. You would've been unlucky to have been attending a concert at a specific venue, or to have been in a specific cafe, or (thinking of the earlier attack) a specific bakery. Who can really say what sort of place may be targeted?

Edited by cruisemom42

I would only take a tour if it solved a specific problem.

One might be distance or travel complexity, but another is the shortage of time.

I have found in compact cities like Athens or Dublin, where there is a lot to see and not much time, the 'free' walking tours can be very useful. As they operate off tips they need to be good, and if after 20 minutes or so you decide it is not for you, you can always slip away quietly, but I have never had to.

We will be in Venice on a Sat in early July. We'd like to see a few churches and tour the square. Do we need a guide to get into the churches? Is there a long que? We've never been and I'm curious if it's like Rome where a guide is very helpful

Thanks!

I know a lot of people say you don't need one but we booked a tour Rick Steves recommended and it was wonderful. It was walks through Venice and we did a walking tour and then a boat ride on one of the wooden motorboats through all the smaller canals. We got 2 other couples to join us from our roll call and it was very reasonable in price.

I find many times the guide /no guide decision is because most are unable or unwilling to spend the time to research where they are going. It's awful tough to just show up somewhere you don't speak the language and have never been and be able to get anything out of it without a guide. On the other hand, if you take the time (and it can take hours per port) you can learn a ton and be very prepared when you get there. There are places I will take a guide but it has to do with unique challenges such as logistics and visas in St Petersburg or safety such many Middle Eastern stops but virtually all European ports have great transportation options and safety are not and issue.

It just strikes me as interesting that the same folks who will always tell you that you need a guide in the Vatican museum will also say you don't need a guide in Venice. ;)

Maybe they do not differentiate between a "guide" (specific imparter of knowledge) versus a driver/tour representative (logistical person).

Yes, this is what I meant, I have been researching the ports, but we don't speak Italian and the guide in Rome was able give us detailed information as well as allow us to skip long lines. Since I wasn't sure about St. Marks , I thought we might need a guide.

We have On board excursion credits, and if I can't book a tour in Hvar, we will use the credits for Venice.

Thanks for everyone's response!

We had a guide in Venice for a couple of hours on our third visit there. We were with a group of Aussies of Italian background, as is my husband. It started to pour and two by two the rest of the group departed for the restaurant, leaving us with the guide. We felt embarrassed for her but she was not fazed, commenting that she finds that Americans, Australians, Canadians will be interested whatever the weather but Italians, no. We found it so interesting having her to ourselves and getting the information we wanted.

I think that guides are like the little girl; when they are good they are very very good but when they are bad they are horrid!

Are you implying that if you need a guide in one place, you need one in the rest?

We have been to both the Vatican and Venice (along with a number of other European cities and villages, both cruising and land vacations). We have done DIY, private tours (with drivers and guides), self-guided walking tours, audio-guided podcasts, ... I am comfortable saying that there are a number of places that we would absolutely recommend a guide, and a number of places where we find it much more interesting and enjoyable to DIY (IF you are the type of traveler that is comfortable with DIY). There are many places you cannot even enter without a guide.

We are returning to both Venice and Rome, if I were planning on going to the Vatican again, I would hire a guide. We will DIY the main part of the Coluseum, but do the guided Third Tier and Below (becuse that is the only way to gain access). In Venice we will take a guided tour- Secrets Doge's Palace, again, because it is the only way to gain accees to those places. We will DIY much of both cities utilizing audio guides ands the knowledge we have gained from comprehensive research. This may not be for everyone but we enjoy DIY - everyone has a different comfort level. We have had the poorest experience touring with a recommened private guide in Budapest - what a waste of money and time. We would have never known how poor she was had we not done some research about the city ahead of time.

DIY is not easy to do well, but hiring a guide is a simple solution. Our best expereinces have been DIY , next private guides, folowed by ship's excursions.

So count me among those who will recommend a private guide in some places and DIY in others.

We have had the poorest experience touring with a recommened private guide in Budapest - what a waste of money and time. We would have never known how poor she was had we not done some research about the city ahead of time.

So sorry to hear of your experience in Budapest. I had the opposite in 2001. As a single traveler, I was leery of DIY. I hired a guide (they have to take tests and be licensed). I arrived in Budapest during a National Holiday (banks, money exchanges, museums, etc were all closed). I had no local money. My guide loaned me Florint (?) and I spent some part of 6 out of 7 days in Budapest with her. She and I were of the same age, both smoked, & both had children. She spoke English (self-taught), but she had a degree in physics (I never went to college). She took me to the Archives and searched microfilm for my grandparents for 10 hours, took me to local restaurants, and even arranged a reasonable hotel for me, as well as all the local sights of interest. We have become fast friends, so that for my 2nd visit I was invited to stay with her and her husband. Not speaking Hungarian, she saved me in many places by being able to speak to the locals. On my 2nd visit, we ventured into the countryside and I really learned a lot about Hungary, not just Budapest. And we still keep in touch via email to this day.

Hopefully you will have a better experience if you ever return to Budapest, it is indeed a beautiful, historical city.

Thanks!

As others have mentioned it all depends on what you want from your guide. From what you wrote above I would say you don't need a guide.

Logistically Venice is easy to get around. You can get to probably most of the major sites with moderate amounts of walking and the water bus service is pretty easy to figure out.

Are you just here to take pictures and get some surface history of the major attractions? Once again, no need for a guide.

Are you time constrained? A guide is helpful for packing the most in a day.

Did you want more in-depth knowledge of the major sites or off the beaten track attractions? Unless you enjoy spending a lot of time prior to your visit doing research then a guide would be extremely useful in these situations.

Did you want access to private museums or go to workshops of the artisans of Murano and Burano? I guess it's possible to do this yourself but it's much easier with a good guide who has connections in the area.

I've done Venice on my own and loved it. Wandering around the Square and riding up and down the Grand Canal, soaking up the atmosphere. But this last time we hired a guide for two half days. The first was a tour of the Jewish Ghetto and it was fascinating all the little things that Christina pointed out. The second day was a trip out to Murano and Burano to look at glass and lace. Once again Christina managed to get us into closed shops/workshops and back to meet our train within a couple of hours. Well worth the cost.

So it all depends on what you want to do. This goes for most places. The more you want to pack into a day and go off the beaten track the more useful a guide becomes.

Regardless, have fun in Venice. One of my favorite cities in the world.

As others have mentioned it all depends on what you want from your guide. From what you wrote above I would say you don't need a guide.

Logistically Venice is easy to get around. You can get to probably most of the major sites with moderate amounts of walking and the water bus service is pretty easy to figure out.

Are you just here to take pictures and get some surface history of the major attractions? Once again, no need for a guide.

Are you time constrained? A guide is helpful for packing the most in a day.

Did you want more in-depth knowledge of the major sites or off the beaten track attractions? Unless you enjoy spending a lot of time prior to your visit doing research then a guide would be extremely useful in these situations.

Did you want access to private museums or go to workshops of the artisans of Murano and Burano? I guess it's possible to do this yourself but it's much easier with a good guide who has connections in the area.

I've done Venice on my own and loved it. Wandering around the Square and riding up and down the Grand Canal, soaking up the atmosphere. But this last time we hired a guide for two half days. The first was a tour of the Jewish Ghetto and it was fascinating all the little things that Christina pointed out. The second day was a trip out to Murano and Burano to look at glass and lace. Once again Christina managed to get us into closed shops/workshops and back to meet our train within a couple of hours. Well worth the cost.

So it all depends on what you want to do. This goes for most places. The more you want to pack into a day and go off the beaten track the more useful a guide becomes.

Regardless, have fun in Venice. One of my favorite cities in the world.

Can you please share the contact info for Christina? This sounds like what we want to do!

you can email me at golfmom321 at gmail dot com

Thanks!