Formal dress code on Princess

workstocruise

"couples poncing around in long dresses and penquin suits. They look a right tuckle."

I'm not sure exactly what poncing is or what it means to look a right tuckle, but it makes me giggle to read it.

Whatever it means, I still think people in formal wear look fantastic and those in more casual attire look just fine as long as they are clean.

I assume shorts are OK at the buffet on formal nights? I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the buffet for dinner. Last time we were on Princess it was a really nice option and I was hoping that was still the case.

Yes, shorts are fine at the buffet. Shorts are fine everywhere else for breakfast & lunch. At dinner they are only allowed in the buffet area.

"couples poncing around in long dresses and penquin suits. They look a right tuckle."

I'm not sure exactly what poncing is or what it means to look a right tuckle, but it makes me giggle to read it.

Whatever it means, I still think people in formal wear look fantastic and those in more casual attire look just fine as long as they are clean.

I think that's "prancing", but I could be wrong. Tuckle? Could be tackle.

Why can't all cruise lines that want to keep formal nights, designate 1 dinning room for formal and one for casual on the formal nights? Thatway every one will be happy,happy,happy.:D

I think RCCL is doing that with their newest ships. All but one restaurant will be casual(hopefully at least "smart casual")One of the specialty rest. will have a more formal atmosphere.

Yes, shorts are fine at the buffet. Shorts are fine everywhere else for breakfast & lunch. At dinner they are only allowed in the buffet area.

They are allowed anywhere on the ship on formal night EXCEPT the Main Dining Rooms on Formal nights. In order to prevent any confusion.

The cruise line has drawn the line for dinner in the MDR - no shorts, no tee shirts, no flip flops, etc. The problem is the cruise lines DO NOT enforce their own guidelines.

On board the Caribbean Princess last month, people were being turned away from the main dinning rooms on Formal nights for wearing jeans. The hostess would tell them that at least they would need dress pants, shoes and a nice shirt. So yes, each ship decides which rules to enforce and which to ignore.

I think RCCL is doing that with their newest ships. All but one restaurant will be casual(hopefully at least "smart casual")One of the specialty rest. will have a more formal atmosphere.

Somewhat. RCCL on it's Anthem class ships has multiple complimentary restaurants. All are smart casual every night except Grande which is always formal. I wouldn't class it as a specialty restaurant since it is also complimentary. It's part of their Dynamic Dining concept which is very controversial in the RCCI forum.

They are allowed anywhere on the ship on formal night EXCEPT the Main Dining Rooms on Formal nights. In order to prevent any confusion.

Thank you both for the clarification. I really appreciate it. We might dress for one formal night, but definitely not 3.

Just wondering how people treat formal nights on this type of cruise,would love to not take a suit.

It's probably no different that most other Princess cruises- most guys do dress but they'll be a dozen or more each evening that don't care to participate in the whole thing & as long as you have dress pants with some sort of dress shirt you'll be fine.

On board the Caribbean Princess last month, people were being turned away from the main dinning rooms on Formal nights for wearing jeans. The hostess would tell them that at least they would need dress pants, shoes and a nice shirt. So yes, each ship decides which rules to enforce and which to ignore.

People wearing jeans is something I've only recently been reading about and it's understandable why they wold say anything. Of course there are jeans that look almost as neat as dress pants but in general most don't.

Next cruise I'm going to wear my Guayabera shirt for no other reason than I bought it many years ago & never used it afterwards.