Formal dress code on Princess

workstocruise

What I find real funny is that people who do not know me, will probably never meet me and have no control over me think they can tell me or anybody else what to wear or where to eat. And then think I should respect them for it. And they really think I will pay attention to them. I get a real good laugh when they do it.

What I find real funny is that people who do not know me, will probably never meet me and have no control over me think they can tell me or anybody else what to wear or where to eat. And then think I should respect them for it. And they really think I will pay attention to them. I get a real good laugh when they do it.

Doesn't Princess say something like you should be dressing for their enjoyment. ;)

Did you ever hear that old Judy Garland song, "Johnny One Note"?

Doesn't Princess say something like you should be dressing for their enjoyment. ;)

And doesn't Princess allow all to dress as they wish by letting them into the dining rooms without tuxes and suit coats? Should be and must be are two different things.

I would be happy with men in collared shirts and slacks. Not "Formal", formal, but slightly dressier. The last cruise I was on, Carnival, there were an abundance of character T Shirts and cargo shorts on "Formal" night. I'm good with golf shirts and khakis.

People from the UK do have a very different mindset from those in the US, that's for sure.

Not all from the UK are the same! We may try Princess again soon, certainly if they follow Celebrity and drop the formal nights and at least make it optional.

People from the UK do have a very different mindset from those in the US, that's for sure.

Not all from the UK are the same! We may try Princess again soon, certainly if they follow Celebrity and drop the formal nights and at least make it optional.

I'm sure there must be some who prefer casual dress although I haven't found them yet. I guessing it won't be long before Princes changes also if they don't want to be the stand alone mass market cruise line.

Maybe I'm odd, but it's a little sad to hear someone say they felt out of place because they weren't or were dressed in formal attire. I've done formal night in a long evening gown and hubby in a tux & I've also done formal night in slacks and nice top with hubby in slacks & polo. We're both clean and covered and comfortable in either dress. I can't say that I remember what other tablemates were wearing.

I will say that I love to see everyone dressing in formal attire - makes me smile every time. I just have no desire to dress myself that way every cruise. Flying in to my Princess cruise in November, I'll have to decide what I have room to pack. My Carnival cruise this year will be more casual - slacks or a maxi dress.

I'm sure there must be some who prefer casual dress although I haven't found them yet. I guessing it won't be long before Princes changes also if they don't want to be the stand alone mass market cruise line.

Quote:

"Originally Posted by floridalover5623 View Post

People from the UK do have a very different mindset from those in the US, that's for sure."

Quote:

"Originally Posted by waldorf View Post

Not all from the UK are the same! We may try Princess again soon, certainly if they follow Celebrity and drop the formal nights and at least make it optional."

Oh yea, there are Brit's too who don't like formal. Below is a rant from one of them, big on NCL, posting on another forum before things got so heated the moderator cut it all off.

However, as I've said before, it appears to me that Cunard and P & O will be the last holdouts who favor of retaining formal dress. So, as far as I'm concerned, most of the UK anyway has it right. When Princess discontinues such we will really consider Cunard, I've already contacted them regarding itineraries.

"It is the "formal" situation on other cruise lines that leaves us booking with Norwegian Cruise Line. Having seen videos and pictures of passengers dressed up to the nines in ball gowns and penguin suits, there is no way that my Wife would entertain cruising if every cruise line was like this. Cruising with NCL is exactly what we want. Casual wear and no formality at all.

Hows about dispensing with the idea of formal dress on a cruise all together. In my opinion, there is nothing so snobbish as to even think of couples poncing around in long dresses and penquin suits. They look a right tuckle. We only entertain cruising because Norwegian Cruise Line have a perfect scenario in that you are on holiday and can wear what the hell you want. Having seen adverts of passengers thinking that they are so special in their fancy clothes is a complete turn off for us. There is no way we would ever have considered cruising if it had not been for the concept of NCL. If a fella wants to ponce around in his penquin suit then fine, but he would certainly stand out on a NCL cruise and look a right dick."

Quote:

"Originally Posted by floridalover5623 View Post

People from the UK do have a very different mindset from those in the US, that's for sure."

Quote:

"Originally Posted by waldorf View Post

Not all from the UK are the same! We may try Princess again soon, certainly if they follow Celebrity and drop the formal nights and at least make it optional."

Oh yea, there are Brit's too who don't like formal. Below is a rant from one of them, big on NCL, posting on another forum before things got so heated the moderator cut it all off.

However, as I've said before, it appears to me that Cunard and P & O will be the last holdouts who favor of retaining formal dress. So, as far as I'm concerned, most of the UK anyway has it right. When Princess discontinues such we will really consider Cunard, I've already contacted them regarding itineraries.

"It is the "formal" situation on other cruise lines that leaves us booking with Norwegian Cruise Line. Having seen videos and pictures of passengers dressed up to the nines in ball gowns and penguin suits, there is no way that my Wife would entertain cruising if every cruise line was like this. Cruising with NCL is exactly what we want. Casual wear and no formality at all.

Hows about dispensing with the idea of formal dress on a cruise all together. In my opinion, there is nothing so snobbish as to even think of couples poncing around in long dresses and penquin suits. They look a right tuckle. We only entertain cruising because Norwegian Cruise Line have a perfect scenario in that you are on holiday and can wear what the hell you want. Having seen adverts of passengers thinking that they are so special in their fancy clothes is a complete turn off for us. There is no way we would ever have considered cruising if it had not been for the concept of NCL. If a fella wants to ponce around in his penquin suit then fine, but he would certainly stand out on a NCL cruise and look a right dick."

I think you should have a lie down, and think of fluffy lambs.

I think it's fun to dress up but I really don't want to wear a floor length evening gown and I know my husband doesn't want to wear a tux.

He wears a suit and I wear a cocktail dress. We're very comfortable with that.

Oh how true. I could care less about the penguin suits and those who wear them. I hope they enjoy their meals as much as I do sitting there in a shirt sans tie and docker pants.

Ha ha yes my writing style leaves a lot to be desired,but hey heres a kicker.I allow myself 1 hot dog a cruise(maybe 2 if Mrs 2 dosent find out),and sometimes i'll dress formally for that,i dont care,i might even dress formally at horizons court,i dont care.I do get some incredible service though,especially at the bars and food venues,be it mdr,buffet,hot dog stand.

And to answer your question,i think a few might have been,when topside at the pool party,when Y.M.C.A AND ABBA were playing,:eek::rolleyes::)

Love your good natured response !

Maybe I'm odd, but it's a little sad to hear someone say they felt out of place because they weren't or were dressed in formal attire. I've done formal night in a long evening gown and hubby in a tux & I've also done formal night in slacks and nice top with hubby in slacks & polo. We're both clean and covered and comfortable in either dress. I can't say that I remember what other tablemates were wearing.

I will say that I love to see everyone dressing in formal attire - makes me smile every time. I just have no desire to dress myself that way every cruise. Flying in to my Princess cruise in November, I'll have to decide what I have room to pack. My Carnival cruise this year will be more casual - slacks or a maxi dress.

I love your attitude. I feel the same way. Also depends on if I'm paying for luggage to fly or not. To each his own. But I also wouldn't someone in a bikini or a bare chested fellow sitting at my table any time, formal night or not. Sure, it's your vacation to, but be respectful of your tablemates.

We were on a 31 day Southern American cruise last fall on the Star and formal nights were not as formal as others are suggestion....people even got in with short sleeve polo shirts and slacks....LA to Santiago was less formal then Santiago to Rio....:cool:

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

But I also wouldn't someone in a bikini or a bare chested fellow sitting at my table any time, formal night or not. Sure, it's your vacation to, but be respectful of your tablemates.

Reeeaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....never seen that happen and I am sure I never will....the sky does not fall just because someone decides to wear slacks, dress shirt and possibly a tie on formal nights......some people take life way to seriously....:rolleyes:

Princess still has formal night and I am happy they do :D :D

Tony

Agreed! DH and I love to get dressed up for dinner on a couple of nights on our cruises. That is part of the fun of going on a cruise. I hope the glamour of sailing never goes away!

Cathy

Oh how true. I could care less about the penguin suits and those who wear them. I hope they enjoy their meals as much as I do sitting there in a shirt sans tie and docker pants.

But where do you draw the line? You are happy in a shirt and docker trousers, so are you happy if someone sits next to you in a singlet and speedos?

There are either rules/guidelines or there is a free for all.

FWIW the cruise line should determine a minimum requirement: no shorts, tee shirts, flip flops etc, and then everyone can dress how they feel above this level.

But where do you draw the line? You are happy in a shirt and docker trousers, so are you happy if someone sits next to you in a singlet and speedos?

There are either rules/guidelines or there is a free for all.

FWIW the cruise line should determine a minimum requirement: no shorts, tee shirts, flip flops etc, and then everyone can dress how they feel above this level.

Well basically they do have a minimum requirement which seems to work although some ships will let the shorts slide. The T shirts have been allowed for years now or at least they don't say a word with a simple plain design on the front. I haven't seen a ship yet that'll allow a bathing suit....at least at dinner time.

Pure hypocrisy, I will wear whatever I like, but don't you dare wear ......

Minimum standards enforced for health and safety reasons is about all I see the "casual diners" asking for.

I was on a Carnival cruise where the wait staff didn't enforce the rules for the buffet area and there were several bathing suits and unclothed/barely diapered children in and around the buffet lines. Thank goodness it was only a four day cruise. We started eating in our room because it was just kinda nasty.

I was on a Carnival cruise where the wait staff didn't enforce the rules for the buffet area and there were several bathing suits and unclothed/barely diapered children in and around the buffet lines. Thank goodness it was only a four day cruise. We started eating in our room because it was just kinda nasty.

It occurs to me that with elimination of formal evenings and general dress discipline on board these vessels that an anarchy of decorum is in the offing. For those that detest the days of yore where a few nights were set aside for fancy dress, I suggest that they might regret achieving what they have wished for.

For instance, Just the other day a fellow who was eating in the buffet posted that he was very disgusted when a guy, who obviously had been putting too much over time in with the knife and fork, walked through dressed in only a thong. Uggg.

It occurs to me that with elimination of formal evenings and general dress discipline on board these vessels that an anarchy of decorum is in the offing. For those that detest the days of yore where a few nights were set aside for fancy dress, I suggest that they might regret achieving what they have wished for.

For instance, Just the other day a fellow who was eating in the buffet posted that he was very disgusted when a guy, who obviously had been putting too much over time in with the knife and fork, walked through dressed in only a thong. Uggg.

That is just so sick :eek::eek: I bet he thought he looked good.

Wow, quite a bit of snobs out there. You would leave a cruise line that you enjoy because I chose not to wear a gown or cocktail dress. REALLY?

The only thing I ask of people is to be dressed and not SMELL!!

Before I am trashed by others, let me explain. Many years ago while on Celebrity on formal night one lady at our table wore a gown. Ok, no problem. However she was quite large (nothing against large people as I myself am somewhat large) it was skin tight (or as my mom would say - like skin on a baloney) gown and oh my Lordy the cleavage. She then proceeded to tuck her napkin in her cleavage and after dinner picked her teeth with her fork! Kid you not!!!! And to top it off smelled like she hadn't bathed in a week. Another gentlemen (and I use that term with tongue in cheek) looked very dapper in this tux on formal nights, however he was usually very drunk. Cursed up down and sideways, took the cork from his wine bottle and stuck a toothpick in it and tried to "sail" it in his water glass!! Truthfully, these events actually happened.

So would you rather have someone dressed neatly, clean with good manners or a lush at your table? I choose neat, clean and manners.

How about I won't comment on your dress if you don't comment on mine!

Just an FYI - no I do not dress formally but usually wear a nice pair of pants with a nice top - clean and presentable and mannerly.

Wow, I bet I get trashed for this reply.

It's been a few years since we last sailed with Princess. Celebrity has become our cruise line of choice, but we are always open to any line that has the right itinerary. We love that Celebrity has eliminated formal nights and was hoping Princess has done the same. Can anyone confirm that? Thank you.

Sorry you will have to stick with Celebrity...