Formal dress code on Princess

workstocruise

On our cruise last summer, we were seated in traditional dining with one other couple. On formal nights, we enjoy dressing up. I was dressed in a long black dress with jacket and hubby in a dress suit. We arrived at our table and the other couple immediately apologized for being dressed in casual clothes. She was in a sleeveless top & capri pants; he had on a golf shirt and pants. They said they don't "dress up anymore".

Now, their choice of clothing did not make or break our cruise, however it did lend something to diminishing the formal atmosphere for us. As I looked around and everyone else was dressed to the hilt, here we sit with this couple who went against the suggested dress code for their own convenience. I don't think people realize that it does effect those around you when you choose not to dress up on formal nights. Some people don't care and that's fine. We do care and that is why we choose to go to the extra trouble to pack all the formal gear. Plus we enjoy dressing up. There are plenty of casual dining places for those who choose not to dress formally.

No hate mail please...this is just my opinion.:)

On our cruise last summer, we were seated in traditional dining with one other couple. On formal nights, we enjoy dressing up. I was dressed in a long black dress with jacket and hubby in a dress suit. We arrived at our table and the other couple immediately apologized for being dressed in casual clothes. She was in a sleeveless top & capri pants; he had on a golf shirt and pants. They said they don't "dress up anymore".

Now, their choice of clothing did not make or break our cruise, however it did lend something to diminishing the formal atmosphere for us. As I looked around and everyone else was dressed to the hilt, here we sit with this couple who went against the suggested dress code for their own convenience. I don't think people realize that it does effect those around you when you choose not to dress up on formal nights. Some people don't care and that's fine. We do care and that is why we choose to go to the extra trouble to pack all the formal gear. Plus we enjoy dressing up. There are plenty of casual dining places for those who choose not to dress formally.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

. I don't think people realize that it does effect those around you when you choose not to dress up on formal nights. Some people don't care and that's fine. We do care and that is why we choose to go to the extra trouble to pack all the formal gear. Plus we enjoy dressing up. There are plenty of casual dining places for those who choose not to dress formally.

Definitely not hate mail, but the only reason it affected you was because you let it. I've had dinner with people in turtle necks, no jackets, etc. on formal night and their clothing had no bearing on my dinner, they were lovely people and I would have hated to have missed their company at dinner.

Well written and everyone is entitled to their opinion. What bothers me about these discussions, some people are adamant and almost hostile with their position.

I did a B2B, Canary Islands then a TA, for first portion, 7 Brits and me at dinner, one of my best tables ever! Everyone adhered to the dress code, added to the atmosphere.

A couple nearby sitting by themselves did not, they were "older". A gentleman at our table said something, and our waiter said, he has long pants (khakis, long sleeved shirt, no tie) and a shirt, what can Princess say?

The cruise lines are walking a fine line here, not wanting to alienate their customers, yet knowing some customers still prefer formal evenings. My thought is there are so many dining options if you don't want to dress up, maybe make another choice that evening.

Wow, quite a bit of snobs out there. You would leave a cruise line that you enjoy because I chose not to wear a gown or cocktail dress. REALLY?

The only thing I ask of people is to be dressed and not SMELL!!

Before I am trashed by others, let me explain. Many years ago while on Celebrity on formal night one lady at our table wore a gown. Ok, no problem. However she was quite large (nothing against large people as I myself am somewhat large) it was skin tight (or as my mom would say - like skin on a baloney) gown and oh my Lordy the cleavage. She then proceeded to tuck her napkin in her cleavage and after dinner picked her teeth with her fork! Kid you not!!!! And to top it off smelled like she hadn't bathed in a week. Another gentlemen (and I use that term with tongue in cheek) looked very dapper in this tux on formal nights, however he was usually very drunk. Cursed up down and sideways, took the cork from his wine bottle and stuck a toothpick in it and tried to "sail" it in his water glass!! Truthfully, these events actually happened.

So would you rather have someone dressed neatly, clean with good manners or a lush at your table? I choose neat, clean and manners.

How about I won't comment on your dress if you don't comment on mine!

Just an FYI - no I do not dress formally but usually wear a nice pair of pants with a nice top - clean and presentable and mannerly.

Wow, I bet I get trashed for this reply.

I tend to agree with you - there are much worse things that eating with someone dressed in non-formal attire. Please shower before dinner. I can't help but laugh when I read comments about how someone's entire dinner or cruise was ruined because people didn't dress up for dinner. And as far as those who suggest that those who aren't in formal attire eat in the buffet. If the buffet served the same food as the dining room, they might consider doing so. However, I've yet to see lobster served in the casual dining venues.

Well written and everyone is entitled to their opinion. What bothers me about these discussions, some people are adamant and almost hostile with their position.

I did a B2B, Canary Islands then a TA, for first portion, 7 Brits and me at dinner, one of my best tables ever! Everyone adhered to the dress code, added to the atmosphere.

A couple nearby sitting by themselves did not, they were "older". A gentleman at our table said something, and our waiter said, he has long pants (khakis, long sleeved shirt, no tie) and a shirt, what can Princess say?

The cruise lines are walking a fine line here, not wanting to alienate their customers, yet knowing some customers still prefer formal evenings. My thought is there are so many dining options if you don't want to dress up, maybe make another choice that evening.

Sorry but if Princess staff say it is OK then you should be he one to go to a different venue in order to not have your meal affcted by what others are wearing. The problem is obviously not with others as they do not have to get your approval as to where they dine.

Sorry but if Princess staff say it is OK then you should be he one to go to a different venue in order to not have your meal affcted by what others are wearing. The problem is obviously not with others as they do not have to get your approval as to where they dine.

If you folks think some of these comments are .....ummmm... amazing, you should read the discussion about "butter or no butter". I get a good chuckle about people's expectations. That's what makes the world go around. [emoji4]

I tend to agree with you - there are much worse things that eating with someone dressed in non-formal attire. Please shower before dinner. I can't help but laugh when I read comments about how someone's entire dinner or cruise was ruined because people didn't dress up for dinner. And as far as those who suggest that those who aren't in formal attire eat in the buffet. If the buffet served the same food as the dining room, they might consider doing so. However, I've yet to see lobster served in the casual dining venues.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Perhaps you should choose to have room service if you're offended by how others dress.

Sounds like the guy at your table would have preferred to have the offending couple removed from his sight. :rolleyes: Unfortunately for him Princess doesn't cater to the formalists in the crowd & welcomes all of it's guests dressed formally or not.

Maybe Princess should make formal nights optional as on NCL.

Holland now has Gala Nights. Celebrity has Chic Evenings. These are essentially Formal Optional, Smart Casual Required. About two/three months ago, there were reports here on Cruise Critic that Princess was surveying selected passengers about going to formal optional as well.

Interestingly, IMHO, the number of contentious formal dress code threads on the Celebrity/Holland forums have declined precipitously.

Edited by RocketMan275

Holland now has Gala Nights. Celebrity has Chic Evenings. These are essentially Formal Optional, Smart Casual Required. About two/three months ago, there were reports here on Cruise Critic that Princess was surveying selected passengers about going to formal optional as well.

Interestingly, IMHO, the number of contentious formal dress code threads on the Celebrity/Holland forums have declined precipitously.

It is only a matter of time and then we will be left with "will there be butter or no butter?" threads.....:D

Edited by PrincessLuver

It's been a few years since we last sailed with Princess. Celebrity has become our cruise line of choice, but we are always open to any line that has the right itinerary. We love that Celebrity has eliminated formal nights and was hoping Princess has done the same. Can anyone confirm that? Thank you.

We did one 14 day cruise on the Regal(Feb.7-21)Overall it was a good cruise, though we'll go back to Celebrity. Yes, they still have formal nights. Some pax however dressed like absolute slobs. Sorry, I call it as I see it. That being said, I'm sure Princess will relax the dress codes as most lines are doing. We still dress up & will continue to do so. just bring a sport coat/nice slacks/dress shirt/nice shoes & you'll be fine. Other nights, slacks & collared shirt are fine for "smart casual".

What cruise lines have you actually traveled? We've done Cunard/Celebrity/Princess. You seem to opine on quite a few lines blogs.

Why can't all cruise lines that want to keep formal nights, designate 1 dinning room for formal and one for casual on the formal nights? Thatway every one will be happy,happy,happy.:D

Some ships only have one dining room, some have 3 and some have more.

It becomes complicated with traditional dining, too

Edited by chrysalis

But where do you draw the line? You are happy in a shirt and docker trousers, so are you happy if someone sits next to you in a singlet and speedos?

There are either rules/guidelines or there is a free for all.

FWIW the cruise line should determine a minimum requirement: no shorts, tee shirts, flip flops etc, and then everyone can dress how they feel above this level.

The cruise line has drawn the line for dinner in the MDR - no shorts, no tee shirts, no flip flops, etc. The problem is the cruise lines DO NOT enforce their own guidelines.

Just off Regal last Sunday. Here's what I saw:

Dining room casual nights

men- jeans, casual pants, golf shirts, short/long sleeved button down shirts

women- jeans, casual pants, short/long sleeved shirts, casual dresses

Dining Room formal nights

men- jeans, casual pants, golf shirts, short/long sleeved button down shirts, jackets, suits, tuxedos

women- jeans, casual pants, short/long sleeved button down shirts, casual dresses, formal dresses

Basically I saw EVERYTHING and casual or formal everyone looked nicely dressed. Both young and old were in casual dress.

On a side note: This was our 9th cruise and we decided to skip the dining room and eat in the buffet (which was fabulous), Alfredos (amazing), and the specialty restaurants (excellent). It was clear from the amount of people in those venues that we were not alone in skipping the dining room. I think the formality of the dining room with mediocre food (even on casual nights) is quickly fading away. People change, new generations have new expectations which the industry must cater to. Those that still want to dress should and can. Clearly the industry recognizes that a huge amount of people simply don't want that experience. The industry is about making money. They will never enforce a dress code that people don't want. There were 4,000 people on our cruise. Princess isn't going to cater to the small percentage of people in formal wear. They want repeat cruisers to pay again!!! The great majority of those people were in casual attire. It is what it is!!!

I assume shorts are OK at the buffet on formal nights? I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the buffet for dinner. Last time we were on Princess it was a really nice option and I was hoping that was still the case.

Some ships only have one dining room, some have 3 and some have more.

It becomes complicated with traditional dining, too

Having dedicated dining rooms is still a solution for many Princess ships. If the particular ship can't accommodate a separate formal & casual DR then they can continue with the way things are today. There's no reason why any ship can't make their own rules.

The cruise line has drawn the line for dinner in the MDR - no shorts, no tee shirts, no flip flops, etc. The problem is the cruise lines DO NOT enforce their own guidelines.

The problem is that the cruise lines expect that the adults coming onboard are mature enough and respectfull enough to follow the guidelines.

A majority do respect the guidelines. Until Princess changes them, most of us will dine elsewhere if we don't wish to participate. :)

Why can't all cruise lines that want to keep formal nights, designate 1 dinning room for formal and one for casual on the formal nights? Thatway every one will be happy,happy,happy.:D

Pbviouly you have not posted here much or read many threads especially on this subject. Everyone will never al be happy, happy, happay. There are too many on here who think they can tell others how to act to please themselves. All must conform to them.

Marty,

Excellent idea that has been suggested multiple times and usually rejected by those who like formal nights. Their rejection usually comes down to a variant of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it, and formal nights aren't broken'.

Agreed......... our South America on the Grand was extremely formal... tux and long gowns.

We found the same on our 7 night eastern Caribbean on the Royal back in February. I was shocked at how many had on tuxedos and gowns. I chose not to pack a sport coat for my husband, only shirts and ties, and he felt under dressed. Next time, I'll pack a coat for him. I wore a skirt and nice top (I think, I don't remember, maybe a dress) and was fine. It was an older crowd on this cruise, perhaps that accounts for the dressier attire. Of course, there were also men wearing polos and slacks, women in sundresses, etc.