Any Updates on the Noro Situation?

curtdesilets

"Most Offended?" Geesh, your pals need to get a grip.

If they go off cocked eyed when an opinion differs from theirs, pray tell, what do they do during election season? Shoot the tv screen out?

I stand by what I said - on our many Oceania cruises, Ray was the biggest Goofball of them all. Others may differ on that bottom spot.

But please don't get your knickers in a twist because someone doesn't share your view.

"Most Offended?" Geesh, your pals need to get a grip.

If they go off cocked eyed when an opinion differs from theirs, pray tell, what do they do during election season? Shoot the tv screen out?

I stand by what I said - on our many Oceania cruises, Ray was the biggest Goofball of them all. Others may differ on that bottom spot.

But please don't get your knickers in a twist because someone doesn't share your view.

While I wouldn't call him a goofball, I wasn't a fan of his methods. With over a dozen Oceania cruises I would have to say his style of CDing has been my least favorite. He did love the sound of his own voice though.

Perhaps at home they are not confined in a small space for an extended period where Noro can be caught and tracked? Just guessing here.:rolleyes:

I think we are all guessing. A ship is not quite a small space. Wish my house was as big. Not really, could not afford to heat or clean it. There is nothing we do where they are as strict as on this ship. Go to any restaurant and try to find someone at the door with hand spray. No videos about how to wash your hands after using the restrooms. I don' t get how being on a ship is so different from living in real life.

In case it's helpful for anyone interested in health on the Riviera, we are on day 5 of the transatlantic and are not aware if any reports or rumors of noro. (knock on wood --- with well-washed hands!) Lovely cruise, so far.

Thank you for your report We will be joining Riviera in the Med.

In case it's helpful for anyone interested in health on the Riviera, we are on day 5 of the transatlantic and are not aware if any reports or rumors of noro. (knock on wood --- with well-washed hands!) Lovely cruise, so far.

Still very unusual for this sickness to rear it's ugly head. Have been on 9 Oceania cruises and until the last one had never heard the word Noro. Did not even know what the word meant, so I look forward to at least eight more until I hear that word again. Let's find something else to talk about. :)

Probably should not have linked the whole listing on Amazon. Here is a link to the EPA website (you need to scroll down to pages 2 and 3). It took me a while to find items on this list but at least a couple of them are available at Amazon. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-10/documents/list_g_norovirus.pdf

I have purchased two of the products and have used it on my hands.

Do you mind telling us which ones? After looking up a bunch of these, I haven't found any intended for use on hands.

When I am spending $1000+ per day to go on an Oceania cruise I should NOT need to be well versed in EPA procedures and plan my own chemical antiviral assault.

Very well said. Agree 100%

So off we went on the Riviera on 4 /11 here we are on SUN . 4/17 No notice of Noro . I saw pretzels in the bar two days ago . They are watching the dining areas and asking people to use the hand slime . Most seem to be cooperating . I have watched the crew wipe the tables and it looks like they sometimes miss the corners . It's near impossible to clean every inch of surfaces . A supervisor can't see each procedure at all times . But so far it looks good .Heard one crew member talking to an elderly lady and was asking if she had seen the doctor .But that's about all I heard .There has been cruddy net access for the last two or three days . It's good now .But if you get anything other than the unlimited account I think you will be disappointed .You burn a lot of time waiting for pages to load . Worst problem for the last 12 hours has been the 38 knots winds and rough seas . They show the wind speed last night at 39 knots .When you add the 20.6 knot ship speed it translates to over 49 knots wind speed . I didn't try going on deck . The ship has gone to 17 knots now @ 9:00 AM and the wind is down to 27 knots . The TV ticker won't show the wave height . But it was certainly gale force over night , and is still pretty rough . Captain warned yesterday and said it should get better later today . Food is really good . Osso Buco last night in the MDR was killer .Side of pasta and a Ceaser salad . Went to Jacques and Polo already . At Polo had the 32 oz Porterhouse . Asked for medium rare and that thing was perfect . Would like to go back and get the whole Maine lobster . It was across the table from me and it was BIG . So other than satellite internet all is well . The spa hot tub is the bomb .Took a steam as well .Life is good .

Edited by iamkingofall

When I am spending $1000+ per day to go on an Oceania cruise I should NOT need to be well versed in EPA procedures and plan my own chemical antiviral assault.

So you are not going to wash up after using restroom, or touching anything outside of the ship and then bring it on board so others can get sick? If so don't spend your money on an Oceania cruise. Other passengers don't need the additional exposure especially if they have compromised immunity due to age or illness.

So you are not going to wash up after using restroom, or touching anything outside of the ship and then bring it on board so others can get sick? If so don't spend your money on an Oceania cruise. Other passengers don't need the additional exposure especially if they have compromised immunity due to age or illness.

I do not believe that is what was said or meant from that post. It meant to me that they would not do the ships job for them.

Riviera starting week two and no issues whatsoever. Staff is friendly and cheerful. We are having a wonderful time. Hopefully all the noro issues are finally over.

pthJudy, I think I remember you from the Marina TransAtlantic Lisbon to Rio last year. In any case, I am wondering whether the food and service are as wonderful as you remember from other Oceania cruises.

pthJudy, I think I remember you from the Marina TransAtlantic Lisbon to Rio last year. In any case, I am wondering whether the food and service are as wonderful as you remember from other Oceania cruises.

Yes, I was on that cruise. The food and service, IMHO, is better on Riviera. Don't get me wrong. I loved Marina, but found service in the GDR rather slow. Here on Riviera service is perfectly timed. Food on both are wonderful but especially the specialties. Since the ship is not full, we have been able thus far (10 days) to have dinner 9 of the nights in the specialties.

Food on both are wonderful but especially the specialties. Since the ship is not full, we have been able thus far (10 days) to have dinner 9 of the nights in the specialties.

That's great!

Which one of the specialties is your favorite? Which one was most easily bookable after your first 4 (i.e - which one is most readily available for extra bookings on this cruise)?

How many repeat cruisers vs first timers percentage wise?

TIA

That's great!

Which one of the specialties is your favorite? Which one was most easily bookable after your first 4 (i.e - which one is most readily available for extra bookings on this cruise)?

How many repeat cruisers vs first timers percentage wise?

TIA

I believe they mentioned that 2/3 are repeaters. As for the specialties, they are all great. Each time we go, another becomes our favorite. Suggestions include sea bass at Red Ginger, Gorgonzola filet mignon and veal Marsala at Toscana, surf and turf at Polo and lobster Thermidor at Jacques. Another tip, go directly to the restaurant and ask for a reservation for then and there. Offer to share. Worked for us. Going to the reservations desk worked early on, but they check your stateroom number and if they see you've had several extras, they will put you on a wait list. Once that wait list worked for us. Hope that helped.

I believe they mentioned that 2/3 are repeaters. As for the specialties, they are all great. Each time we go, another becomes our favorite. Suggestions include sea bass at Red Ginger, Gorgonzola filet mignon and veal Marsala at Toscana, surf and turf at Polo and lobster Thermidor at Jacques. Another tip, go directly to the restaurant and ask for a reservation for then and there. Offer to share. Worked for us. Going to the reservations desk worked early on, but they check your stateroom number and if they see you've had several extras, they will put you on a wait list. Once that wait list worked for us. Hope that helped.

Thank you.

Out of Miami, also. Hmmmm

Delayed Boarding Infinity -4-26-16- Gastro illness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a text from Celebrity that the Tuesday sailing of the Infinity from Miami boarding is being delayed for "enhanced sanitizing" due to gastrointestinal illness during the last sailing. They are asking that you not arrive at the port before 1:00 pm. Check in will take place between 1-4 PM. Sound like it will be a madhouse at the terminal. Anyone on board the Infinity now if your on cruise critic could you give an update on conditions.

Edited by Iamthesea

Sorry, I thought it was interesting that another ship, on another line is having the same troubles as Oceania ships and it's not just Oceania or the Riviera.

And in keeping with this thread, I heard back from the Guest Relations Administrator at Oceania, today, about our Riviera experience. Very nice letter and a very generous offer to entice us to give Oceania a second chance. :)

Now, I am into planning my previously booked cruises with Celebrity. I'll stay away from the Oceania forum until we see something worth booking and have time to plan.

Edited by Iamthesea

We hit Barcelona in about 24 . Life on the Riviera is good . Have not heard a word about Noro . Have spotted the lovely Judy on occasion . Did not introduce myself to her or any CC members . I won't have all that much to say anyway . But service is fine .Have had some fun at the shows . Tom , the comedian is a funny guy . And quick . Him and Dottie go home from Barcelona for at least a month . Other stage productions have been pretty good . The whole musical bent has been pretty white bread . Safe as milk . Lots of bland musak piped in . Piano in Martini's is the sleeper of the boat . One cool cat . Plays every night .Thought it was quite the scream to see young , attractive ,white Phillies and studs singing in an African dialect last night in the Riviera Lounge . Some decent hoofing .But , small cast and they also have finished their contract . Riviera Orchestra is a swinging bunch of players . Food has been fabulous . Polo (2) , Jacques (1) Red Ginger (2) , and Toscana (1) have been hard to beat . The Terrace has been a reliable place to get in and out with some fantastic treats . Don't miss the slow cooked short ribs . Red Ginger has an appetizer of both Sushi and Tempura . I've had both the 32 Oz . Porterhouse and the 32 oz. Prime Rib in Polo . Both times perfect medium rare . The Thalliso Spa is the best doggone hot tub you'll ever bubble your bum in , ever . Weather , other than a sloppy rain out in Funchal has been as good as you could expect for a TA . Internet , has been a problem at least 50 , to 60% of the time . But worse things happen in life . Chow and cheers . :D

Edited by iamkingofall

iamkingofall, you should have said hello. You still can! We too loved this ship and all that it offers. I'll add kudos to Greg Moreland, the magician. His magic workshops were great and the fact that he started early, ended late, and had loads of patience, shows how he loves his craft. Getting ready for Titanic lecture. Strange topic for a cruise ship at sea!

Edited by pthjudy