Dining changes for Anthem of the Seas?

I found this video from the Ovation earlier this week where Michael Bayley talks about some of the upcoming changes to DD.

(my apologies if this has already been posted).

He also talks about the debate of whether or not to charge for NorthStar and iFly.

I found this video from the Ovation earlier this week where Michael Bayley talks about some of the upcoming changes to DD.

He also talks about the debate of whether or not to charge for NorthStar and iFly.

Very interesting, thanks for posting the link.

Re his explanation of charging for things like iFly and Northstar as a way of managing supply and demand: I don't question that charging will reduce "demand," but when you put an "attraction" on a 4,000-plus passenger cruise ship that can only accommodate 14 guests about every 15 minutes or so (Northstar), it's beyond predictable that the "demand' will far exceed the supply. It's almost as though the powers that be didn't do the math (or maths in the UK :) ) before they put these things on Quantum class and hyped them to the skies. Did anyone seriously think there would not be huge "demand" for these attractions?

Posted on FB on Wednesday, from someone on the Galley Tour with the Executive Chef:

"Chic & Grande will be used for traditional dining. American Icon & Silk will be used for MTD. Solarium Bistro will be used for Pinnacle & Suite guests

Implementation will be in around 6 weeks."

I wonder if Grande will change from formal ? I would think it would change

I think the most interesting info from that is RCI has mentioned the portion of the cruising public who prefers traditional - 35-40%. With those numbers, MTD or DD will be the way forward.

In that video Bayley makes it sound like MTD will simply be a marketing and name change away from DD, but the actual product won't change much.Some of that has already been happening on the web site where in a number of places MTD is mentioned on a Quantum class ship - realistically this will only affect Anthem as both Quantum and Ovation will have the current China market version - as he called, Cosmopolitan - whatever that means.

Edited by Biker19

Hi, I think if they keep DD utilizing all 4 main DR's, everyone could choose their own time, venue to dine and have the best of all....

This is just MY opinion. No flaming..thanks!

Typical -- perhaps! Logical: definitely...5/1/ is supposed to be "the" day for whatever change will occur. Time will tell...............

Have a nice Sunday everyone :-)

Thank-you, I had not seen this before.

All I got with regard to DD was that they were going to "relaunch" it (but no details other than renaming) and that 35% of the guests prefer traditional dining.

Edited by clarea

All I got with regard to DD was that they were going to "relaunch" it (but no details other than renaming) and that 35% of the guests prefer traditional dining.

Is it a coincidence that the capacity of Chic+Grande (x2 traditional sittings) is about 35% of Anthem?:cool:

Edited by Biker19

Thank-you, I had not seen this before.

If only 35% of guest prefer traditional dining why are they doing away with DD? That leaves 65% of the guest not getting the dining they prefer. Looks like RC is going bacKwards to me.

If only 35% of guest prefer traditional dining why are they doing away with DD? That leaves 65% of the guest not getting the dining they prefer. Looks like RC is going bacKwards to me.

That's why I keep saying there must be more to the story.

If only 35% of guest prefer traditional dining why are they doing away with DD? .

DD is just a name - the rest of the fleet calls it MTD so naming it MTD for consistency makes sense - what MTD will actually be like on Anthem, that's the unknown.

I agree.

Makes me think there is some sort of money or staffing issue.

Was discussing this with a friend who is a chef and he said that the way they have the menus set up their food cost is probably higher than they thought / want it to be and could be the reason for some of the changes they may implement

DD is just a name - the rest of the fleet calls it MTD so naming it MTD for consistency makes sense - what MTD will actually be like on Anthem, that's the unknown.

On Quantum Class DD is a bit different from MTD on the other classes, because of the 4 different style 'free' restaurants on Quantum Class - The can call it MTD on quantum, but I hope they will still have the different type of food in the different restaurants.

On Quantum Class DD is a bit different from MTD on the other classes, because of the 4 different style 'free' restaurants on Quantum Class - The can call it MTD on quantum, but I hope they will still have the different type of food in the different restaurants.

Most of the talk here is about Anthem but as a class you might have three different versions for a bit. On a video by RCI CEO, the Quantum version was called "Cosmopolitan", Anthem could be MTD in a couple of weeks and Ovation is DD until she gets to Asia and then transform into something else. So not only is the naming different, who knows what kind of menu you'll get. I wonder what they'll call it by the time Ovation gets to Australia.

Edited by Biker19

I wonder what they'll call it by the time Ovation gets to Australia.

My Ovation booking ex Sydney in December changed from DD to MTD on my booking webpage a couple of weeks ago. No correspondence explaining the change.

Not sure how they would make the change for May 1. We're on the April 30 sailing...I would think they'd start the change on day 1, but you never know :eek: They also keep changing our show times and automatically reschedule us for a show at 6:30 when we have Classic dining seating at 6 :rolleyes: Who comes up with this stuff? :confused: