Celebrity constantly mocking Carnival?

VirginiaNP1985

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been on multiple Carnival cruises and went on our first Celebrity cruise (Summit- left out of San Juan in April) last year for our honeymoon. During our Celebrity cruise, the cruise activity director and his associates constantly mocked Carnival cruises the entire trip by cracking jokes about how trashy Carnival (and its passengers) was and mentioning how much better Celebrity was.

I enjoy a good joke, even if it's kind of on the dark side or sarcastic, but the constant mocking the whole vacation really just made it seem like the Celebrity activities directors are pretentious (and feel that their passengers are too if they think that will make them laugh ALL WEEK). I get that Celebrity and Carnival are different experiences... but in the end, it's all about personal preference and I didn't find it funny. :(

Just wondering, is this a common theme from all of Celebrity's activities directors? If so, we may be looking elsewhere for our next vacation this February (maybe back to Carnival, who seems to have no problem laughing at themselves).

TIA!

Edited by VirginiaNP1985

We've been on the Summit twice and Silohouette once and have never heard anything about Carnival. Who was your AD?

I can't remember the main director's name, but the guy who constantly seemed to do it was a younger guy probably in his mid twenties named Justin (pretty sure he was American).

I have no interest in getting anyone in trouble, especially since it's about a year later. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a running theme with the cruise line!

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

Edited by VirginiaNP1985

I can't remember the main director's name, but the guy who constantly seemed to do it was a younger guy probably in his mid twenties named Justin (pretty sure he was American).

I have no interest in getting anyone in trouble, especially since it's about a year later. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a running theme with the cruise line!

Thanks for clarifying. I had missed the time frame. I hate getting people in trouble, too, but companies bashing each other in front of customers is a pet peeve of mine.

Hmm....Been sailing on Celebrity since the early 90's and have spent about 500+ days on Celebrity ships and never heard them mention Carnival or any other cruise line.

Edited by Ma Bell

I also haven't heard any Carnival bashing either while on Celebrity. Maybe he was fired by Carnival and was still pissed. He never should have been saying those things in front of passangers. I would have said something because I wouldn't care if he got in trouble. He needs to know that it's not ok to be doing this.

I know who Justin is. He was in both of our cruises. He is a jokester but I never heard him knock Carnival. Perhaps others may have complained and he no longer does it or maybe it was a one cruise thing.

For the person who asked what's wrong with Carnival.....they have a reputation for being a cheaper, party type cruise. Not my definition, but only what I have read at times. I think that's the consensus for their shorter cruises. I have a friend that does their longer, more expensive cruises and she loves Carnival.

Keep in mind Carnival owns Princess.

Edited by midwestchick

Justin - is that guy who looks a little like Jim Carey and acts as stupid as him? Who constantly refers to children as "little humans"? If as it seems Carnival is a party type of cruise then he will fit in more than on Celebrity. During our Summit cruise in December he had some crazy show on in the main show lounge at peak time every night with people shouting and screaming and running to an empty chair to win a pen..... Definitely more suited to another cruise line - Oh how I disliked him...more suited to be a children's entertainer.

I have-on our RCCL cruise, majesty of the seas. The AD was openly mocking carnival in the theater before a show, and quite honestly, my carnival cruises were way better than that cruise. I've also been on Celebrity and had the experience where people (staff and passengers) have asked about our previous cruisers, and have made remarks about carnival. We will definitely cruise carnival again, as we've had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I second Renee sounds like an disgruntled ex employee, only been one on cruise and it only had two sea days in two weeks I didn't notice any staff except those in spa [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Never seen it, nor heard it.

2. Not sure why you bring it up a year after the event.

3. Basic marketing says it's a no no.

I totally agree. Have never, ever heard bashing of a competitor. It goes against every principle of marketing 101. It would be highly unprofessional, to the point that I have my doubts.

I totally agree. Have never' date=' ever heard bashing of a competitor. It goes against every principle of marketing 101. It would be highly unprofessional, to the point that I have my doubts.[/quote']

I can promise you that I do not work for nor have I ever worked for any cruise line. I'm just in school getting my graduate degree and have been REALLY looking forward to a relaxing vacation once I'm done in December. And I promise you, this was not a "misunderstanding" as the jokes went on all week.

The only reason I wanted to ask this question to the forum to begin with was because we are planning a cruise in Feb 2017 and we are stuck between Carnival and Celebrity. We are actually both leaning towards Celebrity because we just want to have a relaxing (but fun) experience, but I didn't want to hear the AD bash another line's caliber of passengers again, that's all. It just rubbed me the wrong way. If it was an anomaly, then we'd be happy to sail with Celebrity again.

:)

Over 21 cruises since 2001, most on Celebrity and RCCL, a few on HAL, only once did I hear a harmless age related joke from a comedian on HAL comparing some pool competition between Holland passengers and those on Carnival.

Like Gut... says, 3. Basic marketing says it's a no no.

bosco

Besides that, how was your cruise? 😎

Hi Janetz,

Besides what I mentioned above, our cruise was pretty lovely! We went on it for our honeymoon, so the lack of children and more quiet, relaxed atmosphere was appreciated. In fact, we were probably some of the youngest people on the cruise save for a handful of other young professionals, but that's okay. In general, we're both introverts at heart and enjoyed the downtime.

I feel like there are pros and cons that I noticed for both lines. I actually feel that Carnival's staff are typically warmer towards you, their comedians have been funnier, and my husband and I enjoy playing the trivia that they have lined up (the turn out at the trivia contests were better on Carnival). But Celebrity's perks like having the iced towels as you come back on the ship, (typically) less obnoxiously drunk people, and a more zen-like (little less gaudy) design to their ships is something I enjoyed. We also absolutely Loved Qsine! What a fun dining experience!!! :)

I have-on our RCCL cruise, majesty of the seas. The AD was openly mocking carnival in the theater before a show, and quite honestly, my carnival cruises were way better than that cruise. I've also been on Celebrity and had the experience where people (staff and passengers) have asked about our previous cruisers, and have made remarks about carnival. We will definitely cruise carnival again, as we've had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for confirming that you had noticed this too! To be fair, we may have heard it more all week because we really enjoy going to a lot of the trivia games and shows and what not, so we heard a lot from the AD. But thanks for mentioning your experience! Hoping that this was something that the line has decided to forgo in the last year or so. :)

I can promise you that I do not work for nor have I ever worked for any cruise line. I'm just in school getting my graduate degree and have been REALLY looking forward to a relaxing vacation once I'm done in December. And I promise you, this was not a "misunderstanding" as the jokes went on all week.

The only reason I wanted to ask this question to the forum to begin with was because we are planning a cruise in Feb 2017 and we are stuck between Carnival and Celebrity. We are actually both leaning towards Celebrity because we just want to have a relaxing (but fun) experience, but I didn't want to hear the AD bash another line's caliber of passengers again, that's all. It just rubbed me the wrong way. If it was an anomaly, then we'd be happy to sail with Celebrity again.

To add to this, I'm definitely not trying to troll, etiher! :o

I still remember the navigation talk given by an officer on the Century six years ago. He went on and on about Carnival's "crappy" ships. Yes, that was his word. It was the only time he deviated from reading his powerpoint presentation, slide-by-slide. ::yawn::

I've also heard what I would consider just trash-talking, but considered it all in fun. I agree that constant trash-talking about any subject would get old eventually.

1. Never seen it, nor heard it.

2. Not sure why you bring it up a year after the event.

3. Basic marketing says it's a no no.

Agree completely!

We have heard fellow passengers on X and HAL say they'd never cruise on CCL. We just remain silent since we're VIP with CCL but truly enjoy Celebrity, Holland America, Princes, and Viking also, and even had one really tremendous cruise on the NCL Sun.