Strategy for SDP with 2 kids-Escape

zteamtwo

Wife and I are traveling with 2 grandchildren on Escape this Sept 17. Kids are girl 8 and boy 11. I know the kids can eat off of the "kids menu" at any of the specialty restaurants for free, but, I was wondering what other people suggest for dinner choices in order to not run up large charges for the kids if they want to order off of the specialty restaurant menu. In short, where is the best "bang for the buck" in selecting specialty restaurants with kids?

At 8 and 11 they will most likely eat a main course and a desert. Some kids might even eat more they get hungry running up and down those stairs for the water slides.

Why not buy them a SPD too then you don't have to think or worry or plan. I know they will love Teppanyaki and it costs 30 per person. The smallest package 3 meals is around 80 per child.

The worst value would be Margartitaville. The best would be Cagney's or Teppanyaki.

Is it true that kids can probably order appetizers and perhaps deserts at specialty restaurants if they are eating the kids meal for no charge if adults have the SDP?

No they will be charged the a la carte price for each regular item they order.

Is it true that kids can probably order appetizers and perhaps deserts at specialty restaurants if they are eating the kids meal for no charge if adults have the SDP?

Several people have reported that, but it's not automatic. The server can ring it in under the adult instead of the kid so it's no charge, but they are certainly under no obligation to do that, and most will likely do it the proper way.

Wife and I are traveling with 2 grandchildren on Escape this Sept 17. Kids are girl 8 and boy 11. I know the kids can eat off of the "kids menu" at any of the specialty restaurants for free, but, I was wondering what other people suggest for dinner choices in order to not run up large charges for the kids if they want to order off of the specialty restaurant menu. In short, where is the best "bang for the buck" in selecting specialty restaurants with kids?

That will vary greatly depending on what your kids like to eat. For us, it's Moderno, since my son eats only meat, and won't touch a side item of any kind (including french fries, rice, etc. that are offered elsewhere).

Look at the menus. Look at the prices. Do some math to figure out what the meals will cost. Look at the price of a 3 day SDP for your kids. Compare. If you just do some basic math, you will see what will work best for you.

Order them the kids meal and get extra appetizers "for the table." Seriously, buying a SDP, paying full cover charge, or a la carte for small children is madness. NCL did away with the half-price kids option, so as long as the adults have the SDP, just get extra apps. If they absolutely MUST have a main entree, order a second one for yourself and pay the $10 fee. The two children can share it (assuming they both want to try the same thing.)

Here's an example of math to figure this out...

On our upcoming cruise, we will be dining at Teppanyaki with our friends. Although my son will only eat the meat stuff, we certainly didn't want him to miss out. This will cost $35.39 after gratuities.

We also plan to take him to Cagney's with us. He will either eat a large filet or surf & turf, which will cost $29.50 ($25 plus 18%). He won't eat apps, sides, or desserts because he hates it all.

We will be spending a total of $64.89 for him to eat these 2 meals with us. A 3 day SDP costs $81.42 incl gratuities. We would be spending $16.53 additional to buy the SDP than to pay as we go for these 2 restaurants. If he was also going to dine at a 3rd with us, then it would be a good deal. (but we aren't.)

That's why I said earlier the OP just needs to look at the menus, figure out what your kids will likely eat, and do the math. No one else can really do that for you.

Paying full price for a meal where half will be wasted because an 8-year old simply cannot consume that much in a sitting is madness. NCL took away the compromise option of charging half-price. Consider this an "unintended consequence" of their policy change.

I didn't realize NCL screwed SDP diners who want to try more than one main entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro by charging them the same price as non-SDP folks. I guess the a la carte change was worse than I assumed. Good to know. I guess the kiddies who are curious will have to be pacified with the adult's appetizers.

On the old policy, kids were charged half price, but got adult portions.

There is a real difference between two shrimps, and what others are suggesting, which is ordering extra specialty items specifically to feed the kids and expecting them all to be put on the parents' SDP.

Claiming that these items are "for the table" doesn't change the fact that the parents would not order that much if they didn't have their two hungry kids with them.

No matter what the system is, people will try to cheat it.

I would "expect" nothing from NCL if I ordered a la carte items for kids with no SDP. But reports based on the experience of cruisers indicate that likely NCL will simply put most, if not all, of these items ordered for kids on the order of the parent, making them free. So whether I order them for myself and my kid eats all or part, or I order them a la carte for the kid and they put them on my bill "for free", the outcome is the same.

And why would we "not order that much" without the kids? Part of the enticement of the SDP is that you can order and try as many items as you would like. I may order two appetizers for myself simply because I know I love one, but there is another I have never tried but sounds really good. I can't order both French fries and a vegetable? Try two desserts?

I didn't set up the rules for the SDP, NCL did. They can hardly complain if we use those rules to our advantage. They are free to change them at any time. Should I only order the least expensive things in the menu, or limit how many items I order so that I don't take unfair advantage of NCL? Does NCL really care if a 4 year old eats some of the French fries I ordered? This is not "cheating the system".

And perhaps it was short sighted of NCL to do away with the half price dinner package for kids. If there was no "free kids menu" in the soecialties, people would have no choice except to buy a package for kids or have the kids eat at the buffet instead. And they could be truly child sized meals, 5 oz filets, smaller portions of everything, not a full sized meal at half price. And then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Edited by punkincc

The issue as I see it, if folks with a SDP order additional items for those without a dining package, with no intention of paying the a la carte pricing for them, is that NCL could possibly change the rules, where with the SDP folks will only be able to order one appetizer, one entree, one side and dessert. Just like a lot of other things, a few could possibly spoil it for many.

The issue as I see it, if folks with a SDP order additional items for those without a dining package, with no intention of paying the a la carte pricing for them, is that NCL could possibly change the rules, where with the SDP folks will only be able to order one appetizer, one entree, one side and dessert. Just like a lot of other things, a few could possibly spoil it for many.

NCl could certainly tell the waiters to stop putting things ordered a la carte for kids on the SDP of the parent at any time. I'm sure they are well aware, so I can only assume they do not view it as a problem. And yes, they may someday restrict the packages to "one of". But IMO, they are probably making a good buck on these packages, which is why they don't care about a couple a la carte freebies for a child. And if they dilute the perceived value of these packages, people may just stop buying them.

NCl could certainly tell the waiters to stop putting things ordered a la carte for kids on the SDP of the parent at any time. I'm sure they are well aware, so I can only assume they do not view it as a problem. And yes, they may someday restrict the packages to "one of". But IMO, they are probably making a good buck on these packages, which is why they don't care about a couple a la carte freebies for a child. And if they dilute the perceived value of these packages, people may just stop buying them.
I think some servers are aware of it, but I seriously doubt that Management or Corporate are aware. As we know with other things recently, when some take advantage, it is stopped for all. BTW, if we are only limited to one appetizer, one entree, one side and one dessert, I still wouldn't have an issue purchasing the SDP, as that would work for me and would obviously be less expensive than purchasing the a la carte prices and I think others would agree.

Yes, it's true that kids are not "entitled" to eat specialty meals for free. But if I have the SDP, then I am entitled to order all the appetizers, sides, etc that I wish. My 8 year old child is ordering nothing except the kids meal. If my 8 year old is happy with the kids meal, but she wants to eat two of the shrimp from my appy, is the waiter going to rush up to the table and tell her she cannot put it in her mouth? Let's be real.

You are entitled to order all the apps, sides, etc you would like FOR YOU. That's the package. Ordering something to share or give away is not within the terms of the package.

It's really not that difficult to understand, people.

If you don't want to pay for the kids to eat in the speciality restaurants, why not go to the ones included in the fare? There, they could get whatever they wanted.

I have 2 daughters. One will be 15 and one will be 12 when we cruise. We have 1st two people free SDP. The girls don't eat enough, even the older one, to justify buying an adult meal. Will NCL allow a 15 year old to order off the kids' menu?

Edited by Vacationlover2

You are entitled to order all the apps, sides, etc you would like FOR YOU. That's the package. Ordering something to share or give away is not within the terms of the package.

It's really not that difficult to understand, people.

If you don't want to pay for the kids to eat in the speciality restaurants, why not go to the ones included in the fare? There, they could get whatever they wanted.

No, it's really not that difficult to understand. No one is talking about an adult ordering 4 appetizers, soup and salad, a main, 4 sides and 4 desserts with the intent to "give away". We are talking about doing exactly what you do with your kids at home in a restaurant. We are talking about an adult who, within the the terms of the package they have PAID for, orders a couple appetizers, and sides along with their main. I would do this with or without a child at the table.

In all likelyhood, I will fail to eat all of it as I am not a big eater. If there is a child at the table, with a kids meal, and they like my broccoli, I see no problem with them eating part of it. Otherwise it is thrown out. If I order a side, and I don't like it, and my kid does, should it go to waste? What if, as with fries, there is enough served to feed 3 people? To meet the letter of the law, they should throw out the equivalent of two orders of fries that I can't eat, and I should order and pay for yet another order of fries for the kid, again enough for 3 people, so that the kid can eat a few of them and we can all feel self righteous?

So, please tell me that your habit when you go out with the kids at home, and order fries for yourself, and you know the servings are huge, and the kids don't eat much, that you will place and pay for an order of fries for each of them, knowing full well that the majority of each is going to waste, because technically, that order of fries is "yours" and of course you would not cheat the restaurant out of the money you'd pay for those extra orders of fries if you all shared one order, right?

I am the OP. Maybe I was not clear on what I was trying to ask. I really appreciate all of your comments. I think that what I will do, is, have the grandchildren order a free "kids meal" at each specialty restaurant, then, if they think they will eat or try one of the side items or apps or deserts, then I will order that for "the table" and see what happens. That should be OK for Cagneys, Le Bistro, and LaCucina. I WILL REPORT WHAT HAPPENS, BUT, THAT WILL BE AFTER SEPT 17. Perhaps someone before that can report their experience on have kids at specialty restaurants and how things were handled. It would be waste of money to order the SDP for the kids, however, the wife and I have the "free" (sort of) SDP so we want to use it. One other question: I believe Moderno and Teppanyaki are not a la carte, so, how is that handled if kids are with us? I know wife and I can eat for free, but does that mean the kids could not eat anything, off the grill, at Teppanyaki? Everyone be COOL--just trying to get advice, not start a "cruise etiquette war"!!!

I believe Moderno and Teppanyaki are not a la carte, so, how is that handled if kids are with us? I know wife and I can eat for free, but does that mean the kids could not eat anything, off the grill, at Teppanyaki?
If they order from the kid's menu, no charge. If they want to have the full specialty meal, the regular pricing applies (no child pricing).

For all the in-between cases, how many bites of your food can you give them for free, can you order more with the intention of sharing it with them, it's up to you what you consider appropriate (and up to the restaurant staff to draw the line if they care).

I am the OP. Maybe I was not clear on what I was trying to ask. I really appreciate all of your comments. I think that what I will do, is, have the grandchildren order a free "kids meal" at each specialty restaurant, then, if they think they will eat or try one of the side items or apps or deserts, then I will order that for "the table" and see what happens. That should be OK for Cagneys, Le Bistro, and LaCucina. I WILL REPORT WHAT HAPPENS, BUT, THAT WILL BE AFTER SEPT 17. Perhaps someone before that can report their experience on have kids at specialty restaurants and how things were handled. It would be waste of money to order the SDP for the kids, however, the wife and I have the "free" (sort of) SDP so we want to use it. One other question: I believe Moderno and Teppanyaki are not a la carte, so, how is that handled if kids are with us? I know wife and I can eat for free, but does that mean the kids could not eat anything, off the grill, at Teppanyaki? Everyone be COOL--just trying to get advice, not start a "cruise etiquette war"!!!

The kids can order from the same Kids menu that is available in all the restaurants. If they want what is being served to the adults in those restaurants, then they would be charged the cover.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but my feeling re Teppanyaki is this. The seating is very limited. It's hard to get reservations. I would not feel right having my kids take up seating that would otherwise go to adults, while they sit and eat a hot dog.

But of course, some kids enjoy the food there, but they just could not possibly consume enough to make it worth the cover charge. Some would just give the kid a bit of that gargantuan order of rice and meat the adult is served. And I'll bet you'd have a hard time keeping the chef from putting some on the kids plate regardless, but you'd be tarred and feathered if you admitted it was done.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but my feeling re Teppanyaki is this. The seating is very limited. It's hard to get reservations. I would not feel right having my kids take up seating that would otherwise go to adults, while they sit and eat a hot dog.

On the mega-ships like the Escape, there are lot more Teppanyaki tables, so this isn't as much of an issue. On the other hand, the issue is not limited to Teppanyaki. All of the specialty restaurants can potentially fill up, and they end up turning away people who might have taken fuller advantage of the venue than the people who actually got seats.

The kids can order from the same Kids menu that is available in all the restaurants. If they want what is being served to the adults in those restaurants, then they would be charged the cover.

But of course, some kids enjoy the food there, but they just could not possibly consume enough to make it worth the cover charge. Some would just give the kid a bit of that gargantuan order of rice and meat the adult is served. And I'll bet you'd have a hard time keeping the chef from putting some on the kids plate regardless, but you'd be tarred and feathered if you admitted it was done.

I actually wouldn't have an issue if children would be in the Teppanyaki restaurant eating off the child's menu and also no issue with their parents giving them some of their food (since there is an allotted amount of meat and vegetables for each diner) or them getting some of the fried rice (since usually some is not eaten). I would have an issue if the cook gave some of the meat or vegetables that are allotted to the other diners to the children, since we all pay for the food we are allotted. If the cook wants to give a child some of their parents food, then that would be okay. Edited by NLH Arizona

Now! Now! "Leave the kids"!!!!!!! Be cool. I think putting kids in a duffel bag would get me arrested!!! I love the grandkids--why would I do that, besides, they travel for free anyway under NCL latest offer.

Edited by zteamtwo