Is MSC right for me? March 19,2016 cruise

Homosassa

There is an everyday offering on the menu that is available every night. I remember seeing Cesar salad, salmon, a chicken breast and a steak (?)

This is interesting. Having sailed with MSC before this was the case, but we didn't see any 'everyday' offering on Divina. Was this a different page to the main menu offering? I can't believe all 4 of us missed this. lol

It ususally comes under the banner of 'always available' and is items as mentioned, plus pasta bolognese or carbonara, a hot dog and a burger.

From memory this was at the very bottom on the right hand page of the menu

Is this on Divina Sailings though? I know i remember seeing that section when on Preziosa (med) & Lirica (UAE) but i noticed the Menu on Divina seemed different, and smaller. As i say, 4 of us missed this section so wondered if its hidden somewhere.

Maybe we're all just blind. lol

It ususally comes under the banner of 'always available' and is items as mentioned, plus pasta bolognese or carbonara, a hot dog and a burger.

From memory this was at the very bottom on the right hand page of the menu

This is correct as to location on the menu.

I looked the first night to see if there was an always available menu and looked for it on this section of the menu as that is where I have found those items listed on Princess, Royal Caribbean, and other cruise lines sailing out of USA ports.

Thanks for the review. I just want to clarify something regarding your drink vouchers.

1. You did not pre-purchase the drink package and 2. it was not included as a perk when you booked your cruise. Is this correct?

We are going on our first MSC cruise in 3 weeks and booked the Fantastica experience. We also purchased one 18 drink coupon book. Wonder if we'll get the extra drink coupons on our trip.

Thanks again!

Kicia,

You are correct in both your statements.

We did not purchase the drink package and noticed it on our cruise documents when we received them as a 10 drink package. Our cabin was also listed as Fantastica, something we did not book.

When we originally booked last August, we had 4 cabins booked, all interior on deck 9 next to each other. All were the same (Bella) rate. There were no promotions offered with our cabin.

Two of the cabins bowed out of the cruise shortly after booking.

My daughter's cabin was still listed as Bella. She and her boyfriend bought the unlimited drink package on line and it showed up in her cruise documents (also her spa plan and internet plan).

My travel agent checked with MSC and said there had been a glitch in their system (there's a surprise :rolleyes:) and our cabin had been booked by the system as Fantasica with the 10 drink package. MSC was honoring their mistake.

We were surprised to receive two 12 coupon books on board.

Not to hijack thread but in my review I just posted all MDR menus for Divina including the always available menu. Did not take pics of kids menus but it changes daily as well.

I am glad you put your thread information in this review. Between you, Stuart2468, and me, we should have a comprehensive look at the Divina.

Hopefully, I can get back to my review this afternoon.

I have just spent an hour writing an additional post and it seems to be lost. I hape it shows up.

Oh no...I hate it when this happens and I am a "dino" on computer too. Was lucky enough to live in more foodie areas than I am now and studied abroad and enjoyed eating in the different European countries. I love a nice long dinner and thought some different evening concert experiences might be your next comment...truly enjoying your review and the fact that they have dining room in am and noon..and that you enjoyed that part of your cruise.

If I am not on a condo or family cabin type vacation..I LOVE that part of cruising and that dining room sounds spoil me lovely.

This sounds silly but big deal now is tablecloths going away on Carnival...I have been on 6-7 cruises spread out over quite a time..last 2 have been Carnival. 2009 lovely. 2012..not so great. Do they use tablecloths? LOL.

Love the drink amts in the packages..sounds sane. How was the spa for the spa girl? Thank

you so very much for this, also glad the inside was livable..they get super small cabin reviews, but all is in the orginization...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Thanks for the review. I just want to clarify something regarding your drink vouchers.

1. You did not pre-purchase the drink package and 2. it was not included as a perk when you booked your cruise. Is this correct?

We are going on our first MSC cruise in 3 weeks and booked the Fantastica experience. We also purchased one 18 drink coupon book. Wonder if we'll get the extra drink coupons on our trip.

Thanks again!

Would you please post your drink coupon experience once you return please? I am wondering if we should buy vouchers. We are booked in Fantastiaca. Thanks!

Would you please post your drink coupon experience once you return please? I am wondering if we should buy vouchers. We are booked in Fantastiaca. Thanks!

18 cocktails for $84 can't go wrong.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

This sounds silly but big deal now is tablecloths going away on Carnival...I have been on 6-7 cruises spread out over quite a time..last 2 have been Carnival. 2009 lovely. 2012..not so great. Do they use tablecloths? LOL.

Love the drink amts in the packages..sounds sane. How was the spa for the spa girl? Thank

you so very much for this, also glad the inside was livable..they get super small cabin reviews, but all is in the orginization...Sarah

Yes, they have tablecloths.

My daughter enjoyed her massage and facial.

Tipping

Tipping has been the topic of many posts on the MSC forum. Here is my take on the situation:

MSC is an Italian cruise line and in many parts of Europe, tipping is not expected.

On my first trip to Germany in 1980, my husband and I left a tip on the table for the waiter after having dinner. Much to our surprise, the waiter ran out of the restaurant after us, handed the tip back to us and informed us he was a "professional" that he was paid for his services and that tipping was not necessary and was insulting.

We had broken the first rule of being a tourist: Learn the customs of the area you are visiting and follow them. If you don't, you will be considered rude and if you are obtuse, you will feel the foreigners rude when they don't follow your customs.

Therefore, MSC has a mandatory Hotel Service Charge used to reward the staff for their service. It can not be deleted from the on board account.

The Daily Planner on embarkation day explains the daily service charge and has the following sentence: We do not recommend tipping individual staff members."

As there are many passengers on board from areas of the world where tipping is not a custom, it makes sense to have a set policy about tipping.

Does the lack of tipping affect service? Not in the least.

The staff is courteous and efficient in their duties. You will not be constantly asked if you want a drink. If you do, catching the eye of a server will result in they coming over to you and taking your order. Their return with your drink is prompt. A polite thank you from you is more than they expect and will result in a smile.

There is also no embarrassing demeaning begging by the staff for a "10" or a "Wow" or whatever device other cruise lines use that type of feed back to control their staff's salary and advancement. I frankly hate the begging.

Another interesting side effect is that the dining room is as full on the last night as on the other nights. No passengers are skipping the dining room so that they can stiff the staff.

Because we had outstanding service from our cabin stewardess and ou dining room wait staff; we did wish to give the something extra.

No tip envelopes are provided by the cruise line and I did not know if I was out of line in wanting to tip a little extra.

For guidance, I turned to a member of the entertainment staff that I had discussion with throughout the week as we waited for various games to start.

He told me that MSC discouraged additional tipping outside the daily hotel charge. He told me that some of the staff was salaried at a high level and to tip them was an insult (the maitre d' was one of his examples). Other staff would accept a tip if a guest wished to give them one. However, the procedure was to shake their hand and give the money directly (discreetly) to them and say thank you.

Problem was solved and a discreet tip was given to those we wished to thank.

Tipping

Tipping has been the topic of many posts on the MSC forum. Here is my take on the situation:

MSC is an Italian cruise line and in many parts of Europe, tipping is not expected.

On my first trip to Germany in 1980, my husband and I left a tip on the table for the waiter after having dinner. Much to our surprise, the waiter ran out of the restaurant after us, handed the tip back to us and informed us he was a "professional" that he was paid for his services and that tipping was not necessary and was insulting.

We had broken the first rule of being a tourist: Learn the customs of the area you are visiting and follow them. If you don't, you will be considered rude and if you are obtuse, you will feel the foreigners rude when they don't follow your customs.

Therefore, MSC has a mandatory Hotel Service Charge used to reward the staff for their service. It can not be deleted from the on board account.

The Daily Planner on embarkation day explains the daily service charge and has the following sentence: We do not recommend tipping individual staff members."

As there are many passengers on board from areas of the world where tipping is not a custom, it makes sense to have a set policy about tipping.

Does the lack of tipping affect service? Not in the least.

The staff is courteous and efficient in their duties. You will not be constantly asked if you want a drink. If you do, catching the eye of a server will result in they coming over to you and taking your order. Their return with your drink is prompt. A polite thank you from you is more than they expect and will result in a smile.

There is also no embarrassing demeaning begging by the staff for a "10" or a "Wow" or whatever device other cruise lines use that type of feed back to control their staff's salary and advancement. I frankly hate the begging.

Another interesting side effect is that the dining room is as full on the last night as on the other nights. No passengers are skipping the dining room so that they can stiff the staff.

Because we had outstanding service from our cabin stewardess and ou dining room wait staff; we did wish to give the something extra.

No tip envelopes are provided by the cruise line and I did not know if I was out of line in wanting to tip a little extra.

For guidance, I turned to a member of the entertainment staff that I had discussion with throughout the week as we waited for various games to start.

He told me that MSC discouraged additional tipping outside the daily hotel charge. He told me that some of the staff was salaried at a high level and to tip them was an insult (the maitre d' was one of his examples). Other staff would accept a tip if a guest wished to give them one. However, the procedure was to shake their hand and give the money directly (discreetly) to them and say thank you.

Thanks for that "tip"! We usually "thank" our Steward at the beginning of the cruise and find we are very well taken care of, although we ask for very little, usually to empty the fridge so we can use it, and/or open the balcony divider if we are cruising with family.

Thanks for that "tip"! We usually "thank" our Steward at the beginning of the cruise and find we are very well taken care of' date=' although we ask for very little, usually to empty the fridge so we can use it, and/or open the balcony divider if we are cruising with family.[/quote']

No bar slips or restaurant slips have a place for extra gratuity. Even when you ask they won't print one with a space to sign for more. I carried cash for the bar servers and they really tried not to accept the cash but I insisted.

I was fine with the auto service charge because, at least for me, service everywhere was universally good.

Tipping

Just wondering, in what part of germany this happened? Tipping is (and was) not that unusual in germany. You normally tip just a few Euros, not 10 or 15 % of the bill. The main difference between Europe and the U.S. is this: we tip as an acknowledgment for good service, but not to pay for the normal service (which is already included in the bill).

Things are different in other european countries: tipping is quite common in france for example (maybe less than in germany), in scandinavia it may be considered insulting. Speakong of italy, waiters there will not reject a tip, but tipping seems to be not that common, on the other hand you have a service charge added to your Restaurant bill (which is not usual in most other european countries).

Due to european law, things are different when booking with a european subsidiary of MSC: the service charge will then be automatically added to your on board account, but you can delete it. The reason for that is: otherwise they would have to announce the full price of the cruise, including the service charge, in their ads and catalogues.

Of course we are expected to pay the service charge.

That is just the way we did and everybody seemed to be happy with this.

Just wondering, in what part of germany this happened? Tipping is (and was) not that unusual in germany. You normally tip just a few Euros, not 10 or 15 % of the bill.

Due to european law, things are different when booking with a european subsidiary of MSC: the service charge will then be automatically added to your on board account, but you can delete it. The reason for that is: otherwise they would have to announce the full price of the cruise, including the service charge, in their ads and catalogues.

Of course we are expected to pay the service charge.

That is just the way we did and everybody seemed to be happy with this.

We were in Leverkrusen (across the Rhine from Cologne).