Package question - do you find you drink more or less than you planned?

As soon as I read that you were going with your 3 year old and a wife who doesn't drink, my answer was a strong "NO" to the package. It's never as fun to get tipsy when your kids are around, or when they might be the type who need attention in the middle of the night...or wake up early in the morning. And if the wife is already accounting for that by not drinking, you probably won't live it down for a long while if you get to be more "irresponsible" than she does for the whole vacation :) You could probably fit in a day or 3 of good drinking, but you'd probably be pushin' it to try more than that. My guess based on your family dynamic is that you're not gonna have too much fun with a drink package for a couple more years and you will spend far less money just paying out of pocket for a couple drinks a day, or a lot of drinks on just a few days. But 5 drinks every day will probably get you sleeping on the couch.

That's what I was thinking too!!

I'm going to have the Premium package for my next cruise. It's the first time I bought a package.

I'm travelling solo, so I avoid to get tipsy anyway. But I did the math. With all the water and soda, 1-2 non-alcoholic cocktails in the afternoon, pre-dinner drink, wine for dinner and cocktails in the evening, I should break even. I also like to have some bottled water at hand.

But the main reason was, that I don't want to think about money. I normally think 'you just had a cocktail. Do you really need a second one?' And as I know me, I wouldn't order a second one. And with the package, I don't need to bother with that. I can also try something new. What I would not do if I had to pay for every drink.

So for me, the package is not to drink more, but to enjoy my vacation without thinking about money.

I bought the package weeks ago. It's better for my budget if I can split the expenses for airfare, cruise and hotel into the months before my vacation. So I have only the daily spending to cover during my vacation. (More money to spend for shopping in New York :p

As soon as I read that you were going with your 3 year old and a wife who doesn't drink, my answer was a strong "NO" to the package. It's never as fun to get tipsy when your kids are around, or when they might be the type who need attention in the middle of the night...or wake up early in the morning. And if the wife is already accounting for that by not drinking, you probably won't live it down for a long while if you get to be more "irresponsible" than she does for the whole vacation :) You could probably fit in a day or 3 of good drinking, but you'd probably be pushin' it to try more than that. My guess based on your family dynamic is that you're not gonna have too much fun with a drink package for a couple more years and you will spend far less money just paying out of pocket for a couple drinks a day, or a lot of drinks on just a few days. But 5 drinks every day will probably get you sleeping on the couch.

Who's saying that they'll be tipsy? If you spread your drinks out, and get some non-alcoholic drinks to boot you can easily get your money's worth without being "tipsy"

No, I don't drink more when we purchase the package. I do try more new things. And I don't ever recall getting a weak drink on any of our RC cruises.

We've had the Ultimate on our last couple of cruises and for us it's been worth it. In addition to our cocktails, we have fresh squeezed oj every morning with breakfast, several coffees/teas throughout the day, LOTS of bottled waters. My husband gets a Bloody Mary most mornings with breakfast and I like Mimosas.

If I don't break even, I'm not going to worry about it.

When our children were younger, or if we were sailing on a more port intensive itinerary, we might not have chosen to get a package.

Having done cruises with and without the package, my consumption does not change depending on how I'm paying for my drinks. And it shouldn't. You should drink what you drink and figure out the best way of paying for it. Half-priced shots shouldn't mean doing them until you pass out, unless that's what you normally do with full-priced shots...

I have not noticed any change in drink strength, package or not. If anything, the bartenders were measuring more often on recent cruises than on past cruises, meaning that every drink gets exactly the same pour.

So as it stands now, I'm not planning on getting a drink package, and I feel dirty about it. But I did the math (because I'm prone to overanalyzing things like that) and I just didn't think I'd be able to get my money's worth. So I'm wondering if folks who get the package find they drink more or less than they originally planned.

Bonus points if you can relate to any of these mitigating factors:

• I am traveling with my wife and three year old son
  • My wife certainly won't get the package and may only drink a couple drinks each day
  • I understand the cocktails are incredibly weak
  • We'll be bringing on two bottles of wine but I'd only drink that at dinner

Thanks for your perspectives!

We like the drink package, have gotten it on last 2 RCCL cruises and have order it for next 2 cruises, I do not think drinks are weak, but also not strong, if you will order 5 or more drinks I think its a good deal, we normally have beer or wine with lunch, then a drink by the pool , at least one before dinner and a couple after. We get the premium package that includes any wine or drink up to 12 dollars, so if you finish your 2 bottles you can bring in a glass with you at supper or have waiter bring you a glass ( we also will be bringing our 2 bottles of wine)

I've had a drink package on my last two celebrity cruises.

I drank too much. I gained too much weight.

I drank lots of specialty (and caloric) coffees. I was drinking cocktails by the pool when I really would have much preferred to be drinking water. I wanted to make sure I got my moneys worth. I did. These were also the only two cruises where i have ever gained weight.

Next cruise (Oasis), we have two cabins so we will bring on 4 bottles of wine. More than enough for the two of us to have drinks with dinner. And if we have to buy a bottle or a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, not a big deal, and still cheaper than having a drink package.

Even when I'm on holidays, I don't want or need to drink during the day. I will pay out of pocket for my Starbucks (not included in the package anyway!) and will have a cocktail or two in the evening.

I think one needs to factor in how much they need to/want to drink on a holiday. Even when I'm at all inclusive, it's not a big part of my vacation experience.

Who's saying that they'll be tipsy? If you spread your drinks out, and get some non-alcoholic drinks to boot you can easily get your money's worth without being "tipsy"

That is a totally personal thing, though. YOU can drink all of that through the day and not feel tipsy.

If I did that, I would be flat out drunk pretty much all day long, and I wouldn't remember the cruise.

The OP has to figure out how he metabolizes alcohol to know how HE would react to drinking throughout the day. (aka spread your drinks out)

I've bought the Premium Beverage Package for my next cruise. I won't be drinking more than I "want" because I have the package but without the package I would definitely drink less than I want. When you're presented with that $12 + 18% each time I definitely start asking myself if I "need" another one. Plus I would sure want to make sure I stayed under the package price - I definitely wouldn't want to have paid more.

What I like most with the package is trying new drinks! I had my 1st Mojito on my last cruise. Something I'd never ordered on a cruise or at home because what if I didn't like it. (I did btw :D) One night we had ordered rum and cokes late at night and then thought we should have ordered some kind of nightcap with Bailey's instead. It was nice to just leave our drinks and go get what we really wanted.

I only got "drunk" once when the bartender in the ice show hadn't ever made a Patron Perfect Margarita and he made them too strong! :eek: Shame on us for still drinking them (even though we did get some additional mix to help)! LOL We both quit drinking for a while that night until we sobered up. :p So we know our limits.

I have read many accounts of break-even points and other comparisons. But I have never seen the drink package broken down by nutritional info. I would love to see the total amount of calories in a drink package :D. Anybody want to give it a shot?

I have read many accounts of break-even points and other comparisons. But I have never seen the drink package broken down by nutritional info. I would love to see the total amount of calories in a drink package :D. Anybody want to give it a shot?

An American shot of whisky is 61 calories, on the rocks, 0 calories.

30 whiskies a day would certainly break even on the drinks package, and provide all your calorie (though not nutritional) needs without needing to eat anything else :) If whisky isn't your thing, 8 Cosmos would do the same job.

Edited by Thoie

We got the ultimate package last trip plus brought on our dinner wine. We had 3 sea days a early leave day at Labadee, a late arrival day at San Juan. With even a rum and diet or a gin and tonic costing $9 it was not hard to break even. I could cruise without the package and not have a large bar bill, but my wife and I enjoyed it very much. The only hard challenge was the first sea day, the pool bars were almost impossible to access. I could always go down to deck 5 and find a drink fast but if I was getting my wife her drink (with her package) I waited in line along time and would usually end up having to be a little pushy to get an order in. They need more pool deck servers and bartenders. Drink strength is not a problem.

My thoughts on the drink package. We have diamond status and will be on the Oasis in May. I'm still trying to figure out whether to buy the drink package or not. I am leaning toward not getting the package and here is why. We have booked a suite, so we will get free drinks in the suite lounge for a few hours in early evening, also don't you get three free drinks loaded on your cards as a diamond? I also read here on the board that in the suite lounge you can get free beer from 11 to 11 every day.

We're in the same boat. Not to be confused with on the same ship. :D So far we haven't bought the package while in a suite on the Oasis Class. It's a little harder to justify than other ships for the reasons you pointed out above. In may we are getting the drink package on Freedom. I tend to drink more with the package but not a lot more and I don't drink more to get my monies worth. I don't need to. Add the bottled water to the number of drinks a day and it's a good deal for me.

I wanted to add -- RCCL clearly prices their individual drinks to get you to buy the package, costing $15-$20/drink after gratuity. NCL/Carnival don't do that. I still prefer the package so I can pay for it ahead of time and have a more all-inclusive experience.

Or book a Star Class suite and not worry about a thing! :-D

I've never bought a cocktail over $10 including gratuity on Royal Caribbean but I'm not buying foo foo drinks or premium liquors. I don't think the average person is spending $15 - $20 for cocktails on Royal but I could be wrong.

I think you have to sit down and really think about what your ideal day on the ship is and what/how often you want something to drink. Also think about much you have had to drink on vacations in the past.

Would you prefer all cocktails/hard liquors, or is beer by the pool more your thing?

Do you plan to be up late hanging out in a lounge with a drink or 2, or will you be in bed shortly after dinner? If your wife goes to bed early with the kid, can you see yourself drinking alone at one of these venues?

What are your port days like? Other than the private islands, anything you drink off the ship is an additional cost. If you're gone all day, do you think you will make up for the 'lost time' and have 5-6 drinks in the evening? Are you even going to want to after a hot and tiring day?

Do you see yourself buying soda, bottled water, fresh orange juice, and specialty coffees no matter what? Sure those things are nice, but do you really care?

These are the things I'm constantly asking myself. Everyone is different, but be realistic. Ideally, you may want to have a drink in your hands at all times, but does that fit your style? Don't change your drinking habits to fit the package, pick a solution that fits you.

I think you have to sit down and really think about what your ideal day on the ship is and what/how often you want something to drink. Also think about much you have had to drink on vacations in the past.

Would you prefer all cocktails/hard liquors, or is beer by the pool more your thing?

Do you plan to be up late hanging out in a lounge with a drink or 2, or will you be in bed shortly after dinner? If your wife goes to bed early with the kid, can you see yourself drinking alone at one of these venues?

What are your port days like? Other than the private islands, anything you drink off the ship is an additional cost. If you're gone all day, do you think you will make up for the 'lost time' and have 5-6 drinks in the evening? Are you even going to want to after a hot and tiring day?

Do you see yourself buying soda, bottled water, fresh orange juice, and specialty coffees no matter what? Sure those things are nice, but do you really care?

These are the things I'm constantly asking myself. Everyone is different, but be realistic. Ideally, you may want to have a drink in your hands at all times, but does that fit your style? Don't change your drinking habits to fit the package, pick a solution that fits you.

...or just say screw the calculations, I'm on vacation. :D

We bought the punch card on Day 6 and it I remember when I got my last of the 5 on the last night I didn't really need it...so I think I would feel pressure to 'get my money's worth.' lol. It's just really expensive. It should be that much per couple!

I think if you have 1-2 drinks per day it's cheaper not to do the drink package.

You can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

Beer is $6

Drink of the day is $9.50

Many glasses of wine are $7-$13.

You could easily buy 1-2 drinks per day and maybe an extra on the sea days and still be less expensive than the package. It's crazy.

We bought 3 beers <$20

1 bottle of wine over 2-3 dinners for 2 of us <$40

10 drink pass $79 after grat.

$140 [i rounded up].

[Could have easily added drinks poolside daily and still be way under package price...darn. lol].

We otherwise drank water, tea, lemonade, coffee.

Edited by TnTWalter

...or just say screw the calculations, I'm on vacation. :D

Of course that's the preferred way! A lot of people (me included) can never just pay upfront and forget about it. I would always be trying to figure out if I was getting my money's worth.

After cruising with and without the drink package my preferred method is with. Yes I felt like I was drink more but my partner did not. We greatly enjoyed the care free nature of the package. We will be booking the package for future Caribbean cruises where we tend to stay on the ship a lot. If it was a cruise where I know we would be getting off at ports I probably would not get the package.

Going on my first RC cruise in July. It's a 12 night med cruise with only 3 sea days. Most of our port days are for around 12 hours so I think I would struggle to get my money's worth as we have fairly long tours planned for each port and they start quite early in the morning.

We can drink a fair bit (we are Aussie so I'm sure you get the picture) but I just don't think we will have the time to drink enough. We will have 2 rooms - one for our teenage boys, so plan to bring on 4 bottles of wine.

I'd like to know a bit more info about what the 10 drink punch card is and what it covers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

... I'd like to know a bit more info about what the 10 drink punch card is and what it covers?

Our experience has been that the drink card has included the same drinks that the Premium package includes.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I just got back from a 4 nighter on Independence, and I did not get the package. I wouldn't have even come CLOSE to getting my money's worth on it, as it turns out. Chasing a three year old around here and there didn't allow for much daytime drinking as I am used to on prior cruises, and I couldn't make up the ground in the evening.

Sure, I probably passed on a few nighttime cocktails that I wouldn't have passed on if I bought the package, but all in all, my bar tab was roughly a hundred bucks less than the package price.

For what it's worth, Indy was still selling the package the day after we embarked, for the final three days of the voyage.

I find its well worth it, we drink a couple drinks by the pool, some wine with dinner, and some after dinner drinks in the evening without ever worrying about cost. I'm sure had we not purchased drink packages we would have spent way more than the drink package itself because the drinks are so expensive on the ship.

It's a good deal in my opinion, but we never felt the need to over indulge just to make it worth while. It's a vacation after all, it should be worry free.

• 4 weeks later...

Still debating on this for our upcoming cruise. The premium package is currently $47.00 plus tip.

Drink prices are high, but not much more thanking on to a decent meal. Cocktail prices seem about the same.

Many of the wines are at least $12.00 a glass without the tip. 4 glasses per day and you are ahead. Add in a few sodas and a couple of bottles of water and you are ahead. Substitute a cocktail for a glass of wine or a beer or two at the pool and it might make sense.

We always take on some diet coke and 7-UP's and some waters. Not having to lug them onto the ship might be nice.

Will probably have to wait until we get on the ship and see if the price is the same or lower, make a decision and use on board credit to cover a majority of the cost.

If the price is higher then we would not do it.