Picking a cruise for March 2017

willtravel8090

Hello all,

I am currently picking a cruise for March 2017 and would like some input. The only week I can go is the week of March 5th so that leaves me 2 choices.

Mexican Rivera leaving out of LA on the Ruby. It has 3 sea days and 3 ports... Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas

Eastern Caribbean leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Regal. It has 3 sea days and 3 ports.... Amber Cove, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

There will be 3 of us going my DH, DD (12 yrs) and I. Starting port not a big deal as we live in the middle of the country and have to fly regardless of port.

Any input would be fabulous! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Go with the Regal Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale, it's a beautiful newer ship to try. Also you should have better weather in the Caribbean for beach outings which your daughter may enjoy more. Both itineraries are nice though.

Edited by Kenosha Cruiser

Hi,

I also would choose the Regal Princess. I have cruised on both ships. In fact, I did the Ruby Princess seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise in November 2015. Also, I have cruised on the Regal Princess (Mediterranean in June 2014 when the ship was brand new). Both ships are very nice, but the Regal Princess has some wonderful public areas (the Piazza in particular). Also, I prefer the Regal's itinerary and agree that the weather is more likely to be better. The Ruby Princess has some advantages over the Regal Princess (traditional promenade deck, larger balconies and additional pool areas), but I would choose the Regal Princess to the Caribbean over the Ruby Princess to Mexico.

Chuck

Hello all,

I am currently picking a cruise for March 2017 and would like some input. The only week I can go is the week of March 5th so that leaves me 2 choices.

Mexican Rivera leaving out of LA on the Ruby. It has 3 sea days and 3 ports... Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas

Eastern Caribbean leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Regal. It has 3 sea days and 3 ports.... Amber Cove, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

There will be 3 of us going my DH, DD (12 yrs) and I. Starting port not a big deal as we live in the middle of the country and have to fly regardless of port.

Any input would be fabulous! Thanks.

I would pick the Regal because it's the best Princess ship by far !!! IMO.

Definitely the Regal! We sailed on her March 6 of this year and had zero problems with spring breakers. Not many on board and those that were there were very well behaved. We have booked March 5 for next year as well. Your daughter will love the Regal and the itinerary!

Definitely the Regal! We sailed on her March 6 of this year and had zero problems with spring breakers. Not many on board and those that were there were very well behaved. We have booked March 5 for next year as well. Your daughter will love the Regal and the itinerary!

Sounds great. Looks like we might be on same cruise :) The itinerary looks great... We have done western Caribbean but never eastern.

There is one big plus for the Mexican cruise. It is whale season. We took a cruise that went to Cabo and stayed overnight. We saw whales several times on the way. Did a whale watching tour (not through the ship) and saw a ton of whales. This included a Mom and baby breaching.

Having done Mexican Riviera twice, and Caribbean once, I would choose the Regal cruise on the Caribbean.

We did enjoy the Mex Riv itinerary, however be aware that sailing back up to LA from Mexico is not always smooth sailing . So, if you have any issues with motion, definitely stick to the Caribbean. Much clearer and nicer waters too IMHO. ;)

that's my 2 cents for today:D

The Regal is a lovely ship and should be family filled at the time you intend to cruise. We have sailed the Caribbean at this same time of year on other ships as well as the Royal and find the college Spring Breakers like the cheapest itinerary so they go for the 5 day and under cruises. :)

I personally would pick the Caribbean over the Mexican Riviera if beaches/water was the most important consideration. However, there are still some nice options in the Mexican Riviera for beach days.

As for weather, I'm not sure that there is any guarantee that it will be better/or worse in either location in March. 70s-80s ought to be expected in either locale.

Having not been to Amber Cove(but having seen pictures), I question how nice of a spot it is. St. Thomas/St. John can make for excellent beach days, but IMHO St. Kitts' beach options are a little limited and plain -- at least relative to what else is available in the Caribbean. Nevis is nice however.

Have you considered the 6-day(Mar. 5th) on the Carribean Princess(Cozumel, Roatan, Belize)? Same amount of port stops/one less sea day. If given a choice between only those two Carib. sailings, I would likely choose those three W. Carib. port stops over the Regal's three E. Carib ones.

Perhaps these W. Carib ports are ones that you've already visited and are looking for something new?

Of those three ships, the Regal is the newest(and nicest in the eyes of some), though there are many who find the grand-class ship's design and amenities more to their liking. I personally prefer having more pools/deck space available, especially on a cruise with multiple sea days.

Edited by Skai

I personally would pick the Caribbean over the Mexican Riviera if beaches/water was the most important consideration. However, there are still some nice options in the Mexican Riviera for beach days.

As for weather, I'm not sure that there is any guarantee that it will be better/or worse in either location in March. 70s-80s ought to be expected in either locale.

Having not been to Amber Cove(but having seen pictures), I question how nice of a spot it is. St. Thomas/St. John can make for excellent beach days, but IMHO St. Kitts' beach options are a little limited and plain -- at least relative to what else is available in the Caribbean. Nevis is nice however.

Have you considered the 6-day(Mar. 5th) on the Carribean Princess(Cozumel, Roatan, Belize)? Same amount of port stops/one less sea day. If given a choice between only those two Carib. sailings, I would likely choose those three W. Carib. port stops over the Regal's three E. Carib ones.

Perhaps these W. Carib ports are ones that you've already visited and are looking for something new?

Of those three ships, the Regal is the newest(and nicest in the eyes of some), though there are many who find the grand-class ship's design and amenities more to their liking. I personally prefer having more pools/deck space available, especially on a cruise with multiple sea days.

Thanks for such a well thought out response! I did look at the 6 day; however, as you thought we have cruised this itinerary before out of Galveston and then Houston. These were within driving distance for us. Now with the need to fly we are looking to try a new itinerary.

I really think we are leaning toward the Regal but now I have to decide if I should book now or wait until my May Alaskan cruise and book via a FCC. Decisions, decisions, decisions! [emoji1]