A carnival rep called and I asked about last minute sales

gladimhere

It seems that Carnival has changed their pricing philosophy and feel that it better to sail with a few empty cabins rather than lower to price too low. The pricing structure is so they would not have to honor all price decreases.

It seems like Carnival has gone away from the last minute deals lately.

If you notice that whenever they have a sale now it's usually a form of Early Saver which not only promises the possibility of lower prices so it's very appealing, but also carries penalties should you need to change plans. It's a win win for Carnival. They really don't have any intention of lowering the fares as it gets closer to sailing unless it's not selling well which is the exception nowadays rather than the rule.

I'm not saying that Early Saver is bad as I have come out very well using it in the past. I just think that they have a strategic plan and that involves getting as many bookings as possible by dangling the proverbial carrot with the potential of getting the best price, and then not intending to lower them at all. If they are pushing people to book under ES in droves, it wouldn't make sense to have price drops and then have to adjust all those bookings and lose money.

They have got to be making a killing in all the fees and penalties from those that book and then have to change. It's a minimum penalty of $50pp and the rest to be held for a future cruise - none of it fully refunded.

So yeah I think as a whole, the days of last minute price drops and great deals right before sailing are gone.

If you notice that whenever they have a sale now it's usually a form of Early Saver which not only promises the possibility of lower prices so it's very appealing, but also carries penalties should you need to change plans. It's a win win for Carnival. They really don't have any intention of lowering the fares as it gets closer to sailing unless it's not selling well which is the exception nowadays rather than the rule.

I'm not saying that Early Saver is bad as I have come out very well using it in the past. I just think that they have a strategic plan and that involves getting as many bookings as possible by dangling the proverbial carrot with the potential of getting the best price, and then not intending to lower them at all. If they are pushing people to book under ES in droves, it wouldn't make sense to have price drops and then have to adjust all those bookings and lose money.

They have got to be making a killing in all the fees and penalties from those that book and then have to change. It's a minimum penalty of $50pp and the rest to be held for a future cruise - none of it fully refunded.

So yeah I think as a whole, the days of last minute price drops and great deals right before sailing are gone.

That is why we book past guest.

Where did you see this information about the change fee? My price just lowered last week and I submitted the form, got the refund and haven't seen any fees.

And would bet many people with ES dont follow pricing and dont get obc they are entitled to.

This.

When early saver came out I refused as I had asked if the drops were automated and told no, I would have to check daily (or at least regularly) so stuck with past guest rate.

Then I found cruise fish paid the $5 to watch 5 separate cruises and now am ok with booking early saver, but those price drops are getting rarer and rarer - at least for the ship/itinerary I'm booked.

Where did you see this information about the change fee? My price just lowered last week and I submitted the form, got the refund and haven't seen any fees.

She is not talking about matching to a new price, she is talking about a $50 penalty to cancel..change cruises, which is in the ES terms and conditions.

we booked early saver last year in feb. for a Sept sailing. Not one price drop, and this was a cruise during hurricane season.:rolleyes:

We saw the same thing last Feb. Price initially went down a bit and than kept climbing.

Strangely enough for a cruise next month pricing has fallen quite a bit.

Go figure

You must be a diligent price watcher for ES to work properly. On our last two ES bookings, my wife and I would check almost daily, and submit any drops. One cruise we sailed with over $800OBC, and the second with nearly $1,400 OBC. Paid for our drink packages...yes I know we paid that amount up front, but had we just booked and forgot it, we would have gotten nothing. :D:D

It seems that Carnival has changed their pricing philosophy and feel that it better to sail with a few empty cabins rather than lower to price too low. The pricing structure is so they would not have to honor all price decreases.

While it may not be popular here, stable prices are in everybody's best interest, and I mean with the cruise lines and the cruisers. Massive discounting leads to a very unstable market and while some may get last minute deals, we all suffer in the end.

You must be a diligent price watcher for ES to work properly. On our last two ES bookings, my wife and I would check almost daily, and submit any drops. One cruise we sailed with over $800OBC, and the second with nearly $1,400 OBC. Paid for our drink packages...yes I know we paid that amount up front, but had we just booked and forgot it, we would have gotten nothing. :D:D

I have made out very well in the past too, but I think those days are pretty much gone now. I am constantly checking prices when I have something booked. Last couple times I didn't see any reductions.

However, I believe they have turned their pricing structure around to encourage early bookings and to lock in customers to rates with penalties to deter them from having mass cancellations right before final payment; thus having a glut of cabins available all at once and then needing to discount them to sail full. Then if someone needs to cancel their ES Rate, Carnival is still ahead with $50pp penalty. No money will be refunded to the customer as the rest (if any) is held by them for a future cruise. Carnival wins again because they will either get their repeat business and the customer will pony up more money to them, or they will retain it all because they can't sail within the specified timeframe.

I'm not bashing Carnival or ES by any means. Simply pointing out why I feel they are tying all the promotions to ES and why the days of the last minute deals and huge price drops are all but extinct.

I have made out very well in the past too, but I think those days are pretty much gone now. I am constantly checking prices when I have something booked. Last couple times I didn't see any reductions.

However, I believe they have turned their pricing structure around to encourage early bookings and to lock in customers to rates with penalties to deter them from having mass cancellations right before final payment; thus having a glut of cabins available all at once and then needing to discount them to sail full. Then if someone needs to cancel their ES Rate, Carnival is still ahead with $50pp penalty. No money will be refunded to the customer as the rest (if any) is held by them for a future cruise. Carnival wins again because they will either get their repeat business and the customer will pony up more money to them, or they will retain it all because they can't sail within the specified timeframe.

I'm not bashing Carnival or ES by any means. Simply pointing out why I feel they are tying all the promotions to ES and why the days of the last minute deals and huge price drops are all but extinct.

You are correct, and I am not a basher either....;)

And would bet many people with ES dont follow pricing and dont get obc they are entitled to.

We are sailing next Jan. with family members. I check everyday and let them know when there is a drop, only one so far. They don't seem to care. I think there are a lot of people out there who just don't want to take the time or don't care if their price drops.

While it may not be popular here, stable prices are in everybody's best interest, and I mean with the cruise lines and the cruisers. Massive discounting leads to a very unstable market and while some may get last minute deals, we all suffer in the end.

Besides all the extra work TA's would have to do;)

Besides all the extra work TA's would have to do;)

Comes with the turf. ;)Strange as it seems, we have done much more of these recently then in the past. This is another example of the pricing and booking structure working.

I booked my cruise in April 2015 for September 2016 with early saver. There was one price drop with obc about one month later which I noticed and received. Since it has gone up nearly $50 pp. I was totally willing to pay the price I purchased my cruise knowing that a drop in price isnot guaranteed. I have subscribed to shipmate and it emails me if the price goes up or down. I am very happy that I booked ahead of time because at the time you could book cruises that were two weeks out so much cheaper but that is not the case now and I had been considering just holding my money and purchasing the pack and go but I noticed they are not as inexpensive as as they used to be. I'm not complaining though because I know Carnival needs to make money to make improvements and to continue to be a thriving business. Although the dining room and the Lido Buffet have not improved the other eating venues on the ship have gotten so tasty!

Point is I don't think you can lose going with early saver if you know you're not going to have to cancel your cruise because if the price drops you can drop it but chances are you may not get it any cheaper.

Edited by smyliecruising

You can cancel for a full refund before final payment. You just need to be a past guest with a VIFP number.

Now I'm confused as to which way I booked, it was so long ago. I wish they showed what you booked under on your "my cruise". Or do they and I'm just missing it?

Now I'm confused as to which way I booked, it was so long ago. I wish they showed what you booked under on your "my cruise". Or do they and I'm just missing it?

You can always call Carnival and they can tell you. Or look in your email confirmation. Look at the numbered notes at the bottom.

Went back through some old bookings. This is what it said for PG:

Past Guest: Exclusive offer for guests who have sailed with Carnival. Changes made to the reservation may result in removal of the reduced deposit offer. A valid past guest number is required from at least one person in each stateroom to be eligible for this rate. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered.

This is for ES:

Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate, based on the total cabin occupancy & not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, prepaid gratuities, or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver, group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Its a bit like hotels and resorts. I think they would rather have empty rooms than lower the costs at the last minute. it's called " Rate Integrity". I am not saying I agree with this. I would think a business would rather get something rather than let the cabins go empty. There are lots of other ways for the cruise ship to make money rather than just on the cabins.