Alaskan Cruise July 2016 with 16 yr & 19 yr old

Bonnielass

Dear all

Advise please, i am considering booking the Ruby Princess for a ten day cruise from SFO up to Alaska and back.

I am worried that this cruise may not suit the ages of 16 and 19.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Bonnie lass

Did you mean 2016 or 2017? For 2016, the Grand is the ship doing the SF to AK roundtrip (10 day). If it's the 2017, I can let you know when I get back, as I'm taking my 15 yo son on that cruise July 2016. :-)

I've done the Grand 10-day to Alaska and loved it. 16 and 19 are difficult ages to travel with because it's sort of "uncool" to travel with parents at this age. So don't try to micromanage the trip and allow them to do their own thing- sleep in late, etc. There is plenty to do on the ship. Games daily- shows- the youth program for the 16 year old. There are movies under the stars each night (never really gets dark at night in Alaska in July).

As for the ports- Victoria there is is awesome ziplining that I highly recommend. Buchart Gardens are world reknowned but every person seems to go their on port days and can be a bit crowded. In Skagway- go to the musher's camp. It's totally awesome if they like dogs (I don't particularly love dogs and still enjoyed it). In Juneau you can take the public bus to Mendelhall Glacier ($12 per person) Don't bother with the White Pass Railway in Skagway- snooze fest for teens. In Ketchikan they might enjoy the Lumberjack show.

If they don't want to go- leave them home and go yourself. You know your kids better than anyone.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

There are lots of sites and active tours at each of the ports. Examples are given if you go into the Princess website.

One thing they will not be able to do while the ship is at sea is stay connected to a cell phone. Connection time is very expensive while at sea, and most keep their phones in airplane mode to avoid charges.

I have taken my kids to Alaska when they were 12, 15 & 18 and again three years later when they were 15, 18 & 21. They have all enjoyed it. We are looking forward to going together again next year, when my youngest graduates from high school.

We did that itinerary with our kids when they were about that age and they loved it! In Juneau we went to Mendenhall Glacier/Nugget Falls and then Tracy's Crab Shack. Skagway we did an independent tour to Emerald Lake with A LOT of stops for photo ops, musher camp, smallest desert in the US, etc...Both of our kids LOVED this. Ketchikan we went for a hike and did very little in town; this was our favorite port. In Victoria we got a map and just walked around; went to Parliament building, Fisherman's Wharf, and Ogden Point Break Water.

Our son did a lot of sleeping, which we were okay with since it was his vacation too. Our daughter spent a lot of time at night in the piano bar; she met a couple of older ladies that she met up with every night to listen to the musician.

One of our most favorite vacations with the kids. If you are concerned if your kids will have fun or not make sure they are part of the planning. Have fun!!

I will be taking a 17 and 15 year old July 2017. We will be on Emerald inside passage route. I think there will be enough to do during the day in port; so when we get back to ship they can hang out or sleep. Looking forward to having fun times.

Edited by AF-1

Honestly - Alaska is for the young, athletic and active individual. There are so many cool things that one can do when they are young. Just plan monetary for it as many excursions are costly. Would your kids like to take a helicopter ride to a glacier and go glacier trekking, how about a hike and canoe to a glacier, how about dog mushing on a glacier, zip lining, whale watching, etc... You get the picture.

Involve your kids in the shore excursions. Alaska is amazing. You will have a lot of sea days going and coming back - I think they will be fine on a ship but you may want to have them bring some of their own activities with them. Your oldest will be too old for the teens club and your youngest will probably think it is lame as most teens do :) They will meet other teens and hang out with them and be fine.

Edited by Coral

Your kids will love it - the sea days and the port days. Do involve them in selecting what they would like to do ashore, as there are so many terrific options. My best advice on what to do ashore is get out of town - the towns are small, the scenery and action is outside of town enjoying the wilderness areas.

On the ship, they will absolutely meet people their own age. We took our son and niece when they were both 19 - and gave them just a few rules they had to follow.

First, be where you are supposed to be on time, and prepared for the occasion, whether that is for a shore excursion or meal, etc.,

Second, we'd like to have dinner together in the evenings, but we don't have to. (They chose to.) After dinner, you two are joined at the hip. You may go anywhere together but not separately. If one of you wants to call it quits for the night, you are both calling quits. This was a matter of safety for both of them.

Third, no one else but the two of you in your room, ever. Period.

And of course, the three toddler rules always apply:

Be polite.

Don't whine,

Don't make a mess.

Your kids will be completely fine. :)

I was 17 years old when I went for the first time, then went again the year after at 18 (doing the same itinerary are you are doing). Now I'm going again this summer when I'm 19. I've found things to do every time when I go and I'm never bored, in fact, Alaska is my FAVORITE port of call.

Alaska is one of those cruise itineraries where children and adults can all enjoy. The natural beauty that you're constantly surrounded by is breathtaking and you won't get sick of the view. There are informative lectures, led by park rangers, in the Princess Theater for people that want to learn more about Alaska and Glacier Bay.

Your younger kid still qualifies to join the clubs that they have on board, but my guess is that they probably won't want to. I travel with my parents and my little sister. My parents go and do what they want on board, while my sister and I do what we want on board.

In port, there are endless things to do too. I found kayaking excursions to be extremely fun and active. Ziplining was also a blast. City tours are incredibly boring, because most of the ports of calls are small cities that are all within walking distance. Walking around the city is a great family activity and very entertaining, it's so different from big cities.

Overall, I definitely recommend the 10 day itinerary. As a 19 year old myself, I don't think you will have to worry about your 16 & 19 year old kids not being able to find enjoyable things onboard to do. :)

16 and 19 are difficult ages to travel with because it's sort of "uncool" to travel with parents at this age. So don't try to micromanage the trip and allow them to do their own thing- sleep in late, etc. There is plenty to do on the ship. Games daily- shows- the youth program for the 16 year old. There are movies under the stars each night (never really gets dark at night in Alaska in July).

If they don't want to go- leave them home and go yourself. You know your kids better than anyone.

You said it perfectly well!

Took my son when he was 15. He still talks about it. Favorite excursion was Ketchikan's crab research followed by all you can eat At George's inlet. We kayaked, river-rafted in icy glacial water, zip-lined and whale watched. Oh and the train! He loved it. Best cruise for kids that age, methinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As a 19 year old myself, I don't think you will have to worry about your 16 & 19 year old kids not being able to find enjoyable things onboard to do. :)

Your input will mean a lot to OP due to your age! First hand experience.

Have the kids cruised prior to this? Are they outdoorsy types? I took my kids when they were a bit older and they loved it, but they are both woodsy, outdoorsy, nature lover types. There seem to be a lot of kids these days who are tethered to their smart phones; txt messaging, facebooking, tweeting, etc... If you have kids like this you may have to endure some withdrawal symptoms.

Another consideration might be a 7 day from Seattle (rather than 10 from SFO with a bunch more sea days).

Oh, and click the link below to see my shocked wife when the kids surprised her by showing up on the ship!

Edited by fishin' musician

I think your kids will absolutely love the cruise to Alaska.

It was probably the most beautiful and interesting cruises we have done and will do again.

Its not boring at all. Like others have said, there is plenty to do on the ship and on shore.

That cruise was the most refreshing I've taken yet. :D Enjoy!!