Norwegian Getaway...Nothing Special

bre

Never been on a cruise that I didn't love. Just got back from sailing on the Getaway. Booked 9 months ago (25 of us) and had been waiting in antisipation, everyday since. We fell in LOVE with cruising 7 years ago, when we sailed on the Sky and have taken at least 1 cruise, every year since then. We have sailed with all different Cruise lines, including NCL, Royal, Carnival and MSC. Sailed on Mega ships like the Oasis. To smaller ships like the Sky & Magesty. Like I said, enjoyed everyone. Last year we took some family members, with us for their first time cruising. We sailed on the Royal Caribbean Jewel. We LOVED it! They LOVED it and couldn't wait to book their next cruise. Other family members, saw how much fun it was,and wanted to join. So this year we planned a cruise on the Getaway for 25 of us...ranging from ages 62-2.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great time. But NOTHING special. Nothing like the previous year on RCI or previous years on other before that. The Customer care, just wasn't there. Not poor, but nothing outstanding. room steward not friendly, seemed put out, when asked for help. Food Mediocre in all venues. No real pool for the kids to swim in. Just Ehhh...all around. Most the time, we are sad to say good bye. But this time we just kind of walked away thinking, well that was fun. A bit lack luster love, felt for Norwegian. Will probably be awhile, before we come back.

Never been on a cruise that I didn't love. Just got back from sailing on the Getaway. Booked 9 months ago (25 of us) and had been waiting in antisipation, everyday since. We fell in LOVE with cruising 7 years ago, when we sailed on the Sky and have taken at least 1 cruise, every year since then. We have sailed with all different Cruise lines, including NCL, Royal, Carnival and MSC. Sailed on Mega ships like the Oasis. To smaller ships like the Sky & Magesty. Like I said, enjoyed everyone. Last year we took some family members, with us for their first time cruising. We sailed on the Royal Caribbean Jewel. We LOVED it! They LOVED it and couldn't wait to book their next cruise. Other family members, saw how much fun it was,and wanted to join. So this year we planned a cruise on the Getaway for 25 of us...ranging from ages 62-2.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great time. But NOTHING special. Nothing like the previous year on RCI or previous years on other before that. The Customer care, just wasn't there. Not poor, but nothing outstanding. room steward not friendly, seemed put out, when asked for help. Food Mediocre in all venues. No real pool for the kids to swim in. Just Ehhh...all around. Most the time, we are sad to say good bye. But this time we just kind of walked away thinking, well that was fun. A bit lack luster love, felt for Norwegian. Will probably be awhile, before we come back.

Ohhh noooo, please don't pop my bubble!! We get on the Getaway on Sunday for our first ever NCL cruise. At least you didn't say you hated it!

Ohhh noooo, please don't pop my bubble!! We get on the Getaway on Sunday for our first ever NCL cruise. At least you didn't say you hated it!

You will love it....I go May 8th on it for the 2nd time. Its an amazing ship, Good food, great shows, great staff...all I sail is NCL after Sailing CCL and Princess which to me are subpar in the industry. Don't be scared you are going to love it! have a great trip :) give us a review when you get back!

Entertainment wise..we LOVED Burn the Floor and Illusionarium was fun. I like Legally Blonde, but the men folk in our group (even those who like theater/plays) were like "shoot me now." :) The Tropicana Roon we found the band/music to be WAY TOO LOUD. There was know way to have a conversation. Even with the person next to you. So I would stay clear of that and Opt for dinning at either Savor or Taste.

You will LOVE Getaway!! We are Diamond with Royal and Elite + with Celebrity and took our first NCL cruise ever last September on the Getaway and we loved her and the NCL experience so much we came home and cancelled a cruise on our beloved Celebrity Reflection to sail NCL again.

Loved that a MDR was open for lunch on embarkation. That there was a coffee machine in the cabin. That the cabin had a switch that turned on a light to indicate when to make up the room, when to not disturb and when you were in it. That you could get a hamburger cooked to order 24/7 at O'Sheehans. The Waterfront!! Brilliant concept!! Burn the Floor!! And Getaway is getting Million Dollar Quartet as well starting May 15 which is an even better show! (So you'll have to sail Getaway again!!)

shoeper,

I will soon be heading back to The Getaway for my 8th cruise on Her. This time I will be on for 22 straight days- I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

She is a wonderful ship and with a great staff.

I do agree that the Tropicana is very loud, but it was built to replicate a 1940's Miami nightclub.

I hope you have a wonderful time. Welcome to The Getaway and to Norwegian.

Mandy

I would not be worried and to the OP I might even try again. I have gone on several ships more than once and each trip is unique. Usually one is more meh! than another.

I had a really meh! experience on the Oasis of the seas October 2013 - that doesn't stop me from wanting to sail that class again. I find that a great cruise is a combination of travel companions (both personally and on the ship), weather, service and other intangibles and those are different from week to week.

One mediocre cruise (because there is no such thing as a bad one) would not stop me from sailing that line or that boat again.

Now the poor ventilation on the carnival valour would make it difficult to pick that ship again but I would never say never.

I could not agree more with the OP. We got off the Escape a few weeks ago and it was nothing special at all. We had fun too, but nothing like we anticipated. With all the choices, it blows my mind how people can do the same ship again and again. It would have to be a pretty great deal to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yay! I'm back to excited and not afraid :) I'm ready to get on it right now! Thanks for bringing my anticipation back!

Skoeper, have you the new itinerary for your cruise (Roatán/Belize/Costa Maya/Cozumel)? Please report back let us know how you enjoyed it :), we sail in June

I haven't been on the Getaway but just off the Breakaway (sister ship) and felt the same exact way. I too love to cruise and love the GEM much better. BA lacked good customer service, food was so-so, was just nothing special and would not sail her again. I won't give up on NCL though just not the mega ship.

We've never been on a cruise we didn't enjoy. (OK, maybe we were disappointed in Costa years ago....)

But other than that every cruise has it's own wonderful things to enjoy. We will be going back on Getaway for our 4th time in June! And as soon as we got home from Escape, we booked another trip on her. Maybe OP missed eating breakfast or lunch at the Flamingo Grill? Or didn't try the slides? We are excited that Million $ Quartet will be there for our June cruise. And then, just hanging out on the Waterfront means alot to us:D

This just shows how opinions can vary greatly about the same ship. We were on the Getaway a few months ago and were astounded by the attitude of the entire crew - very happy and so friendly.

We are late 40's with 2 DD's (ages 11 and 20's). We have been on 50+ cruises. We've done all the large ships except for the Vista. The Getaway is by far our favorite and have our 4th cruise scheduled for fall.

This ship gets such mixed reviews. We are sailing on it in July. It will be our first NCL cruise and reviews like this make me nervous.

We are going n her for the fourth time despite other options .Yup, lots of options out there but this ship is very special. We have cruised quite a bit and Getaway is our favorite, then Freedom class on RCL. We have been treated like special guests each time on Getaway. Had crappy experience on Pearl years ago but decided to give NCL another shot when Getaway arrived. Glad that we did.

We do get Haven suites but don't hang out in the Haven. We like our cabin and spend time there, I can't do tiny spaces that well, thus the suites.

OP had fun and that is important. Our family, however, really loves THIS ship. Will miss her when she leaves!

You will have a blast. We are totally hooked on Howl at the Moon- just a great , great time.

You will have fun! Some people like and some don't, but don't let that scare you. I love NCL and have never had a problem or an issue.

Looking at your signature I realized you were on the Carnival Glory and Carnival Breeze with my husband. He was the DJ on both of those ships. In fact, he's still on the Breeze. I hope you had a great time!

Do you think that your perception of lack of a more personal customer service could have been impacted by the size of your group? 25 is a big number. Maybe a couple or smaller group would have a different perception?

I'm devouring every Getaway review to prepare for my transatlantic next year, thank you for sharing your experience, it helps :-)